MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #61
Croaker Smoker
Found some matches.

Thanks for the good idea about grilling meatballs. Y'all are great inspiration. Here is what i did today:

Took 1.35 lbs of 85/15 ground beef and mixed it with;
two eggs
some Lawrey's seasoning
half an onion, diced
a squirt of Bullseye BBQ sauce
a cup or so of leftover rice that was in the fridge as filler
several spoonfulls from the large jar of diced garlic we keep in the fridge
some fresh diced sage, rosemary and majorum
a handful of shredded mozarella cheese (probably a mistake b/c i think most of it melted out)

the above ingredients were rolled into balls a little smaller than a baseball and then each was wrapped in a piece of wellshire farms applewood smoked bacon.

instead of using toothpicks (which would've been too small anyway), I skewered each meatball with two sharp wooden shishkabob skewers is sets of three. i find using two skewers for each 3 ball "meatball shishkabob" is better than just one skewer b/c the meat is less likely to fall off the stick when there are two of them 3/4 of an inch apart if that makes sense.

the meatballs were grilled on my BubbaKeg for about an hour and a half at an average of 325 degrees until the bacon looked right (like y'alls pics). this was done on the upper level of my BubbaKeg with a pan full of water on the lower level to block the direct heat. at the same time i had a whole chicken in there cooking on a beer can in there, but that's another story.

all these meatballs need is a glass of red wine and a batch of the wife's homemade tomato sauce over some spagetti squash!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #62
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Default Moink Redoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmark View Post
This is my first attempt at MOINK BALLS, if I would have used store bought mbs my Italian grandmother haunt me. Cooked for about an hour think they could have used a little more crispin' over direct heat. Cert or no cert it's ok, take care of your mom first Larry and btw thanks for your help on posting.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...orkButt053.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...orkButt056.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...orkButt060.jpg
Thought I'd post the pics maked it allot easier.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #63
MillerTime
Knows what a fatty is.

Please find below my application for MOINK Ball certification.

Here's what I used.

Rolled em and rubbed em.

On the grill along with some wings.

Finished product.

I smoked them for about an hour and a half at 250 to 275 and basted with sauce the last 10 minutes. I used two different suaces. That's the reason for the two different colors. They tasted pretty good. The wife and kids ate em up. Again no hurry here. Take care of your family. I just wanted to try these and have a little fun with them.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #64
smokin smitty
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Moink Certification Request

My first attempt at moink balls. Used homemade meatballs and smoked on the Brinkmans vertical for a few hours. Just come out of the smoker getting ready for the FL vs GA game!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040012.jpg (100.7 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg P1040015.jpg (148.9 KB, 514 views)

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #65
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

This is my request for MOINK ball certification:

ingredients used: Angus ground beef(80/20), bacon (low salt mod), chedar/jack cheese, parmesan cheese, and my own secret rub I also made some ABTs stuffed with the same meat.

lower rack on UDS

upper rack

done after 2 hours at about 225 with hickory smoke

the bowl is ready to take to work for a pot luck. I was required to remove one of each for quality testing, the hard part was using only one

Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #66
azkitch
Knows what a fatty is.

I, too, apply for MOINK certification. For the Pulte BBQ this weekend in the Phoenix area, Mike, the organizer of the azbarbeque events--he's a master at it!--has a midnight Appetizer Extravaganza. This year we had Elk Backstrap as well as the usual assortment of ABTs, wings, and chili. Being a southwestern desert rat pepperhead, I made MOINK balls, but with a twist. I made Molten MOINK Balls, aka Photon Torpedoes. Some like it HOT!

2 1/2 lb. burger meat. I used 1 3/4# 90/10 and the rest 80/20.
7 medium to large orange Habaneros roasted, seeded and minced. Be sure to lick your fingers, but only after you wipe your eyes. NOT!
4 Serranos roasted, seeded and minced
1 1/2 tsp. Cumin seed
1 tsp. Coriander
1 tsp. Celery Seed
Above seeds were pan roasted and ground together.
a drizzle of Sesame Oil--about 1 T.
2 tsp. Tony Chachere's Spice 'n' Herbs mixture--the blue topped can.
1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
1 large egg
Drizzle mixture with approximately 1 Tbs. of Sesame oil
2 Tbs. of Mrs. Renfro's Habanero/Mango salsa. Mrs. R's Habanero Salsa shouldn't create a perceptible taste change.
2 lbs. of Maple Bacon

Smoked for almost 2 hours @ 250-275, crisped with an afterburner. I can't wait to see that picture!
This is the recipe as I presented Friday night.. May be revised. Mix it, form 'em, wrap 'em, and smoke 'em. I put 6 on a skewer. Individual toothpicks are another option. Whatever. I cut the bacon in half, made meatballs with a small ice cream type scoop.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #67
Infamous Dave
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin smitty View Post
My first attempt at moink balls. Used homemade meatballs and smoked on the Brinkmans vertical for a few hours. Just come out of the smoker getting ready for the FL vs GA game!!
What are ya cookin' up for the Florida/Bama game this weekend?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #68
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

If it pleases the Board, I humbly and honorably submit, for your approval, my submission for MOINK Ball certification.

The raw ingredients: 100% Beef (83/17), kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, 2 whole large chicken eggs, 1 onion (lightly sweated) with fresh garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, dried marjoram, grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, pepper-jack cheese, Panko bread crumbs and of course, center-cut pork bacon.

cubing the pepper-jack for stuffing. (Yes, RC Cola was consumed during preparation...)

Everything but the eggs and sweated onions/garlic added.

All mixed up, and ready to ball.

After a quick wipe down, the assembly area is ready...

Rolled and stuffed, then lightly assaulted with my home-made pork rub. (Called Pig Stank)

Rolled, wrapped and ready to rest.

Lovingly placed on the Weber, affectionately known as R2-DQ. Lump charcoal and cherry wood.

Done!!! No sauce needed, just a quick ride over the coals with the water pan pulled to crispy up the bacon.

I brought these lovelies into the 'day job' for consumption...

Last edited by tmcmaster; 12-04-2009 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: picture added

Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #69
Infamous Dave
Got Wood.

Default Moink

I humbly submit my application for MOINK ball certification consideration.

This is just the simplest of MOINK ball recipes. Started with store bought MBs and wrapped them in meatmarket fresh thick sliced bacon. Sprinkled on some homemade rub and put them on the grill which was set-up offset heat style for smoking. I used apple wood for the smoke and kept the temp at about 250. When they were almost done I slathered them with some homemade memphis style sauce.

As long as I had the grill hot I also made some pig candy and I put on a couple of venison rings bologna for supper.

The pig candy was awesome and the MOINK balls weren't bad either! My neighbor(who owns a meat market)came over while I was cooking and we devoured the pig candy in a matter of minutes. He also was impressed with the MOINKs too.

EDIT: I see the date on my wifes camera must be off, those pics were taken today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moink ball BBQ 001.jpg (63.1 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg Moink ball BBQ 002.jpg (55.7 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Moink ball BBQ 003.jpg (97.1 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg Moink ball BBQ 004.jpg (100.4 KB, 413 views)

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #70
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'm not allowed to buy pre-made meatballs, so I used Costco hamburger and kept it simple. Hamburger was seasoned with salt, pepper and parsley and wrapped in real bacon. MOINK balls were cooked on an offset using charcoal.

They were mopped in a Kansas-city style sauce and finished. They are served here on a fattie-plate with salad, potato and beer:

I hope I am worthy.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #71
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I see someone likes bacon

Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #72
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

My dear sir, if it does seem good to you, please observe the MOINK-Tacular creations that I wish to submit for full fledged certification.

Please recline your seat and enjoy.

Well, simple is in no way part of my vocabulary, let's understand that right away.
I just picked up a grinder for the stand mixer I swindled a friend out of (for keeps!) So I figured I should probably do this right.

The Grind Starts Here:

The Happy little additions...

The MEAT SHOOTER!

Some Aged Smoked Swiss, Colby Jack & Pepper Jack from an earlier smoke, chopped up and added to the mix

The lil' fella's all snuggled up in their piggie blankets after the shake-down

The cooking vessel

Last confirmed eveidence of their existence, closely followed by, "Mmmmm-OINK!!!!"

Thanks for lookin'! As stated before by others, please take care of your family fore-most! We take back seat to the real world.

Thank you!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #73
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great looking Moinks, bro!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #74
BBQ Grail

My dear fellow BBQ Brethren friends...

The time has come to put an end to this thread. For those who need certificates, please let me know if I owe them to you and I will get them done.

For those who have understood this whole thing and have played along with good humor. I thank you.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #75
deguerre

"We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when...."
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Closed Thread