First Tri Tip

H

Hugh Jorgan

We finally found a place to buy tri tips way over here on the east coast. My dad found them at World Market. Gonna cook it up tomorrow.

I was thinking boil for an hour then sear then finish off in the oven.

Seriously, any suggestions? I don't have a lot of time to search and the searching I have done has not yielded many results. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Season, grill to medium rare, slice and enjoy! That is is K.I.S.S. method :-D Montreal Steak Seasoning works well.

god don't boil it!!! the terrorists will win if you do that! Marinate in 1/4 cup of worchestershire sauce overnight. Season with garlic salt and freshly ground pepper, cook/bake/grill/smoke to 135 degrees. IMPORTANT: set on counter under foil tent for 10 minutes. Cut against the grain. Thoroughly enjoy! p.s. If any leftovers - bring to work the next day and microwave in break room, walk slowly through office back to your seat. You will be followed!

I agree with everyone... DO NOT BOIL!.. marinate, (I like using beer, garlic salt, black pepper, and a touch of Ketchup or a tomato base). Sear both sides, and then cook inderect until 130ish.. (I like mine red on the inside) tent with foil just as Likeadeer says, and let it rest. Lets see some pron!!

We finally found a place to buy tri tips way over here on the east coast. My dad found them at World Market. Gonna cook it up tomorrow.

Seriously, any suggestions? I don't have a lot of time to search and the searching I have done has not yielded many results. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If you boil that Tri-Tip, a carload of us from Northern California will drive there and beat you with your own BBQ tools, and I'll drive..

Just kidding, any of these other methods listed above work good, I rub mine with olive oil, I sprinkle on some Bad Byrons Butt Rub, let it sit out to get to room temp, then cook over mesquite fat side down to 135, tent for 10 minutes, slice against the grain and its good to go.

Good luck!

I generally cook mine on the weber kettle buy banking the lump to one side with a couple chunks of hickory and place the tri-tip to the other side with a pan under it to catch the drippings. I take it to 135 internal then place it directly over hot coals and sear it real good on booth sides maybe for 5 or 6 minutes tops, let it rest for about 15 minutes and enjoy. You can do the same method on a gasser buy only lighting one or two burners and setting it opposite of them.

I have tried it marinated and with just salt, pepper and garlic, both ways were great. Just think of it as a really big steak and if its done wright you should be able to get from medish to medrareish from the same tri-tip. Like it has been said k.i.s.s. and think philly cheese steak sandwich with leftovers.

One other thing I do with mine is remove most of the heavy fat cap mine have on them, yours may not have as much as mine. I am saving the fat for making some sausage one of these days.
Dave

If you want to smoke it, do a reverse sear... I did my first Tri Tip, @250* it took less than 2 hours, for 2 3-4 lb pieces...took it to 130*, then when I was ready to eat, seared them on the grill...Came out great...really proud of that one!
I used BigBrotherSmokes seasoning...(don't know which one) very good!

attachment.php

Thanks for the replies. Looks like lunch tomorrow! I'll start it at about 10am. Fire up the grill at about 9:30am.

Big Grin! I better get some onions and buns.

Thanks for that link leanza.

Tri Tip

I have always just "cooked them like a steak" over the coals or on the gas grille at 275 or so, turning them at about 15 minutes and cooking them "to touch" usually done in 35 minutes, let it rest and slice on the diagonal.

I use Montreal steak seasoning, leave it out of the fridge for an hour before cooking.

Now, that being said.... I smoked one over Santa Maria Red Oak at 225 "to touch" and the family was divided... too smokey for wifey, kids loved it.

The one I smoked was from costco, no fat at all.... I will try smoking again soon, the next one with the fat cap on top!

I'm tired of tri-tip me want briskie One time in March I sent my wife to get a corned beef for st. patty's day and she brought home a brined tri-tip in a bag. ---wierd---

I'm tired of tri-tip me want briskie One time in March I sent my wife to get a corned beef for st. patty's day and she brought home a brined tri-tip in a bag. ---wierd---

We have alot of access to tri-tip here in California. So, we are spoiled. Got to encourage folks out east when they can finally get them and enjoy them.

Hugh, study the direction of the grain real well before you cook it. Extremely important to cut across the grain in thin slices. Very good eats bro!

I rub the tri-tip with a simple salt, black pepper, chile powder rub, wrap in saran for two hours, get the kettle fired up and grill to medium rare. This past Christmas I did it at 231F for a few hours to medium rare, then seared it and let it rest for a few minutes. Good stuff.

I coat my tri-tip with olive oil, then add some beef rub. Sit on the counter for about 30 min, then smoke at 250 for 1.5 - 2 hours. Tasty!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75366&highlight=Ross+Ventura

Ross

Back