MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Thoughts from a judge

I am still learning as a kcbs judge and do not have as much experience as many but thought I would share some of my thoughts and experiences in KCBS sanctioned events with hopes of being helpful and to encourage other judges to add to the topic.

1. Always use garnish. It is legal to not but it is easier to 9's with than without it.

2. Never send a box of cold meat. Room temp will not hurt you badly but still cold from the ice box/cooler will kill your score.

3. If you mix your meat make sure it is all good. Thigh meat with Breast meat is wonderful but they both better be spot on. If not it is best to just send the better of the two.

4. Watch the salt. Too much salt is a 6 waiting to happen.

5. Watch the heat of your spices. I think most judges like some heat when eating at home but if your heat is going to make it difficult to taste the next entry you will lose points.

6. Make sure you get enough flavor in your chicken. It needs smoker flavor not grilled. If you can the flavor just grillen great but if it taste like grilled chicken it will lose points

7. You do not have to sauce but if you don't it better be a good piece of meat. Sauce can give you some points you would not get without it. But too much sauce will cost you points also.

8. When saucing get a good coverage. By this I mean if brushing it on don't leave a obvious bare spot.

9. I think skin on chicken scores better than skin off but this could probably have a lot of debate.

10. Get some flavor in your brisket. The ones that I have at table that scored the best had a great deal of attention given to get some extra flavor into the meat through injections or a baste after slicing.

hope this sparks some thought and is helpful. keith
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Please define what you mean in comment #1. Being a meat contest you should mark on the meat. From what you said it appears you are marking up on garnish. I will not assume this is what you meant but do ask that you explain what you mean please.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Oh, Skip, you pot stirrer you!!! His point is exactly why I'm of the opinion that KCBS
should do away with garnish altogether. That it needs clarification at all is what I
base my opinion upon.

Mind you, I dont recall ever getting less than a 7 on appearance, and even a 7 were
few and far between. I set my meat upon the most wonderful lush dark green putting
surfaces; we sweat those details... However, as color has a huge influence on how
we judge the appearance of anything, it is humanly impossible to filter out the green
background and not be influenced.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
cmcadams

I don't know any cook that sends cold meat. it gets cold sitting around, maybe, but I've never seen anyone chill it to send in.

Judging should judge the turn in for what it is. There's such a narrow band of 'allowed' flavors because judges prejudge what should be turned in. If chicken has a bit of a grilled flavor but it's done well, it should score well. I was judging chicken once, and someone did skinless chicken breast that had a SW flavor profile. it was cooked very well and tasted good. Judges scored it down because it wasn't what they wanted it to be, but it should have done well because it was very well executed.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

6. Make sure you get enough flavor in your chicken. It needs smoker flavor not grilled. If you can the flavor just grillen great but if it taste like grilled chicken it will lose points

I dont understand this at all. arent you to judge meat on its own merrit? if I present you with grilled bbq chicken shouldnt it be judges as that? dont alot of teams finish their chicken on a grill. do you take away points if it has grill marks?
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Rookie'48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobow View Post
I am still learning as a kcbs judge and do not have as much experience as many but thought I would share some of my thoughts and experiences in KCBS sanctioned events with hopes of being helpful and to encourage other judges to add to the topic.

1. Always use garnish. It is legal to not but it is easier to 9's with than without it.
I dissagree - you're suppossed to be judging the meat.

2. Never send a box of cold meat. Room temp will not hurt you badly but still cold from the ice box/cooler will kill your score.
Yes on this one - hot BBQ tastes much better!

3. If you mix your meat make sure it is all good. Thigh meat with Breast meat is wonderful but they both better be spot on. If not it is best to just send the better of the two.
Yes, absolutely!

Too much off anything is not good - flavors should be ballanced, not overpowering.

5. Watch the heat of your spices. I think most judges like some heat when eating at home but if your heat is going to make it difficult to taste the next entry you will lose points.
I like quite a bit of heat but I've heard other judges beotch about too much heat when I could barely taste any.

As far as I know grilling is a legal entry & should be judged on it's merits as presented by the cook.

7. You do not have to sauce but if you don't it better be a good piece of meat. Sauce can give you some points you would not get without it. But too much sauce will cost you points also.
See #1 above. The sauce should compliment the meat, not overpower it.

8. When saucing get a good coverage. By this I mean if brushing it on don't leave a obvious bare spot.
Agreed. But by good coverage I mean even, not thick, coverage.

9. I think skin on chicken scores better than skin off but this could probably have a lot of debate.
Yes, but if I can't bite through the skin, if I have to wipe sauce off of my beard, you're going to loose points. If the skin is too rubbery - toss it.

10. Get some flavor in your brisket. The ones that I have at table that scored the best had a great deal of attention given to get some extra flavor into the meat through injections or a baste after slicing.
Yes - 100%. As long as the flavor is briskie, not pot roast!

I put my answers in red, but these are only my $0.02 worth - YMMV
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

thanks for tips... and dont forget your cooler

Quote:

[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post

I dont understand this at all. arent you to judge meat on its own merrit? if I present you with grilled bbq chicken shouldnt it be judges as that? dont alot of teams finish their chicken on a grill. do you take away points if it has grill marks?
I've heard that from some of the judges walking around after an event - chicken didn't have any smoke flavor. I don't think he's alone with this thought.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

How many contests judged?
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I will try to reply to most of the responses but I can't reference them once I hit reply so I am going by memory.

I have had cold meat turned in usually pork or brisket. This has happened more than once. I understand it not being turned in piping hot due to the nature of the contest but I am telling you I have judged meat that was obviously just removed from refrideration of some sort turned in and my advice is not to do that.

On garnish. I do not disagree that the apperance of the meat is the main focus of the apperance but my expereience is that a good garnsih can help a presentation that might not have done as well without out it.

By the grilled chicken remark I did not mean to imply that the judging table cares how you cooked it. Grill marks do not enter into anything. What I mean is there is a difference in flavor from a one hour grilled chicken and 3 hour bbq chicken. If you are gonna go with the one hour grilled you better get some flavor into it somehow.

I'll go back and see if I caught them all.

Again. I am just givng my opinion in hopes of being helpful and promoting discussion. keith

Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Now that's farkin funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
thanks for tips... and dont forget your cooler
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I will try to reply to most of the responses but I can't reference them once I hit reply so I am going by memory.

I have had cold meat turned in usually pork or brisket. This has happened more than once. I understand it not being turned in piping hot due to the nature of the contest but I am telling you I have judged meat that was obviously just removed from refrideration of some sort turned in and my advice is not to do that.

On garnish. I do not disagree that the apperance of the meat is the main focus of the apperance but my expereience is that a good garnsih can help a presentation that might not have done as well without out it.

By the grilled chicken remark I did not mean to imply that the judging table cares how you cooked it. Grill marks do not enter into anything. What I mean is there is a difference in flavor from a one hour grilled chicken and 3 hour bbq chicken. If you are gonna go with the one hour grilled you better get some flavor into it somehow.

I'll go back and see if I caught them all.

Again. I am just givng my opinion in hopes of being helpful and promoting discussion. keith
Ok I think you responded well to the question of you.

Its your opinion that smoked chicken does better on a whole then grilled due to flavor profile?

Next time you can hit the button on the bottom right that looks like " marks. Hit that in every post you want to quote and hit quote on the last you wish to quote.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Funny, I thought this was BBQ, not a Saturday grilling comp. Want to grill your chicken, grill it, but when it sucks and lacks flavor don't beotch about the judging. Or compete on Saturday instead!

Want to make your meat pop in the box??? Put greens under it, enough said. By the way, I'd much rather KCBS went to a green judging box and did away with the garnish all together. But don't sit and beotch that your greenless box built the same as the greened box will score the same. They won't, a dirty lambourghini(sp?) doesn't look as good as a clean lambourghini.

I thought as KCBS Judges we were to develop our flavor profile for BBQ. Ever go to grab a glass of tea and it was coffee instead. Your mind was set for tea, the flavor change threw you. Was great coffee, but it wasn't tea. Your grilled chicken may be great, but it may not be great BBQ'd chicken
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

skip. Yes I think smoked chicken scores better on taste most of the time.

Bbq Budda. I am fairly new to judging/ I have 10 contest under my belt.

I think another perspective as to my thoughts is I am presented with the possibility of judging the best piece of meat at a contest with a equal opportunity to get the worst. Some thoughts come from that perspective.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

pigmaker23: I rarely forget my cooler but sometimes I have to leave it in the car because I just can't stand to throw out a perfectly good beer. keith