• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

rib membrane

gamblerpro1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
whats the easiest way to remove it from the back of the rib.any help would be great.

Dig under the membrane in the middle of the rack, insert a finger and pull it all off in one motion. Should strip off up both ends easily without coming apart. Don't use a sharp knife to dig under, if you cut the membrane it makes it much more difficult to pull off.

I usually just use a butter knife to get under one side of it and grab a paper towel to hold on to it with and pull it across.

Try to find ribs that have it already removed. My last 5 racks from Costco were all membrane-free and it was nice to not have to worry about it! Most of the vac-pak ones from Smithfield, etc. have the membrane and you can see it in the package.

I agree with the above comment. I've been getting mine from Costco for a while now and haven't had a membrane since. .02:decision:

I start on a corner with butter knife under membrane and loosen off a few ribs...work it a little till the corner is free, then grasp with a paper towel and zippppp...gone...Just(hour or so) did this exact thing..btw, I never used to remove, but after trying this method, I will from now on..

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 178
what if I told you that I started leaving the membrane on and that my family loves them that way? what if I told you that after time and heat the membrane just flakes off? what if I told you I cook with the membrane down on the UDS for 3 hours with no flipping or wrapping at 275 and there is no membrane left?

what if I told you that I started leaving the membrane on and that my family loves them that way? what if I told you that after time and heat the membrane just flakes off? what if I told you I cook with the membrane down on the UDS for 3 hours with no flipping or wrapping at 275 and there is no membrane left?
What if that does not work for a whole lot of people here ? The OP asked for help.
Here is a tutorial.
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/skin_n_trim.html
Here is a list of vidios on membrane removal
https://www.google.com/#q=rib+membrane+removal&tbm=vid

I agree with dadsr4...OP wanted to know how to remove the membrane...I agree that I have eaten THOUSANDS of ribs with the membrane on, and...well, they were great ribs, however, the membrane WAS THERE and it WAS like paper for the most part...It NEVER was NOT there...

Like Bludog, I leave mine on as well and you would never know its there when you eat them. IMO, the necessity of removing the membrane is another BBQ myth up there with the necessity of cooking low and slow.

+ 1 for leaving it on, but if you just got to take it off, try sticking them in the freezer and getting them semi frozen then go for it, and don't sweat getting all of it off, score it if you fee it needs it. Give the unskined a try I think you will be suprised.
Dave

Like Bludog, I leave mine on as well and you would never know its there when you eat them. IMO, the necessity of removing the membrane is another BBQ myth up there with the necessity of cooking low and slow.
It's not a myth. I and many others remove it because we can tell the difference. It may depend on your source for meat, but the ribs I purchase have a thick membrane that cooks to the texture of Visqueen.

It's not a myth. I and many others remove it because we can tell the difference. It may depend on your source for meat, but the ribs I purchase have a thick membrane that cooks to the texture of Visqueen.
agreed. My first rack I did I forgot to remove the membrane. We could taste the membrane and at some points, had to pull it off the cooked ribs as it was still there and we were having a time chewing on it.

It is not a big problem to pull it off, just an unnecessary extra step in my opinion, and apparently others. I suggest he make up his own mind, try not doing it the next time maybe even cutting a slab in half, one with one without. I don't do baby backs so maybe they are different, he did not say what kind of ribs he was doing if it even makes a difference. I like cruncy peanut butter, my wife likes creamy. :decision:
Dave

Back