MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
305Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Down goes 305Q ((knockout))

So...I have been a forum lurker for a very long time now. This one and countless other. Collecting data, doing my homework and research, collecting recipes etc...what should I get an offset stick burner? a vertical smoker? pellet perhaps? Kamado????? the options were endless.

So yesterday I decided it was buy time!!!!

I went to a local weber authorized dealer and purchased a WSM 22.5. I "cured" it with a foodless smoke for 8 hours.

Today I had my first cook on it. Ribs and drum-sticks.

Then came the knock out blow. The family HATES smoked food.

So I now am on the market to sell my once used WSM

I have a craiglist listing as well....so if interested message me.
305Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Hope you don't give up yet!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Q View Post
The family HATES smoked food.
The food you cooked or food they've tried previous to the wsm purchase?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bear

Quote:
So...I have been a forum lurker for a very long time now. This one and countless other. Collecting data, doing my homework and research, collecting recipes etc...what should I get an offset stick burner? a vertical smoker? pellet perhaps? Kamado????? the options were endless.

So yesterday I decided it was buy time!!!!

I went to a local weber authorized dealer and purchased a WSM 22.5. I "cured" it with a foodless smoke for 8 hours.

Today I had my first cook on it. Ribs and drum-sticks.

Then came the knock out blow. The family HATES smoked food.

So I now am on the market to sell my once used WSM

I have a craiglist listing as well....so if interested message me.
Damn that stinks but living in Miami I know what you're going through. BBQ here is nonexistent and very few people appreciate real Q. How much you want for the WSM?
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
305Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Youngin - Private Message sent

Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
caseydog

I think it's time for a new family.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I think it's time for a new family.

CD
What's the market value for a new family that's likes BBQ in craigslist?

Seriously, though. If it's the smoke flavor they don't like you can reduce the smoke flavor by a lot. What kind of wood did you use on you first cook?

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

You need to try again.
With the wsm you do not need much wood. It took me a couple of cooks to realize that for us with a full basket on my 18 i only need 2 or 3 chunks of fruit wood anymore and it's too much.
With my offset i used to use a variety of wood but with the wsm I now use just fruit wood
superlazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
landarc

How do you know that what you fed them as good BBQ? Perhaps you did something wrong that makes them hate it. I know of very few people who got one right the first time.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Somebody with magical wording needs to explain thin blue smoke and how important it is. I hate to see this poor guy get rid of his brand new cooker because he over creasoted his first cook and made his food taste like a chimney fire

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
jgdusc
Knows what a fatty is.

Scored my second LBGE off of CL for 400 cause the fam didn't care for smoked food. I couldn't believe there were people who didn't like smoked foods either. I got an insane deal and he got nice weber gasser to please them.

Post it and make someone's day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I would try a cook with just lump - no added wood for smoke. Let it run an hour before putting the meat on.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
305Q
Knows what a fatty is.

I personally have enjoyed BBQ my whoe life. My grandfather is excellent on his stick burner. I have a pretty good pallate when it comes to food ;)

The smoke was "invisible", I used 2 1/4 aplle wood chunks with about a half ring of coal and used the minion style. I used meatheads "memphis dust" rub ***maybe thats what did it*** on the ribs and spritzed every hour. The legs were marinated in lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper.

pegged 225 and maintained for the duration of the cook. a little under 3 hours for the legs, close to 4 ((weeeeeee bit over)) for the baby backs.

My taste buds thought it tasted good. There is a place down here...well in Fort Lauderdale called Tom Jenkins and mine were as juicy, tender and tug off the bone as theirs. Flavor profile was different. Wife doesnt like their ribs either. Nor does she like Shorty's ((a bbq chain that is horendous)).

Even when my firend coal grills burgers she says they are smokey and seems to have brainwashed the kiddlets into tasting the same way she does.

I love her none the less.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
LittleHill Smoke
On the road to being a farker

Keep the WSM, buy a small gas grill. Smoke up meat for you and your friends and grill meat up for the rest of your family. Just my opinion.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I personally have enjoyed BBQ my whoe life. My grandfather is excellent on his stick burner. I have a pretty good pallate when it comes to food ;)

The smoke was "invisible", I used 2 1/4 aplle wood chunks with about a half ring of coal and used the minion style. I used meatheads "memphis dust" rub ***maybe thats what did it*** on the ribs and spritzed every hour. The legs were marinated in lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper.

pegged 225 and maintained for the duration of the cook. a little under 3 hours for the legs, close to 4 ((weeeeeee bit over)) for the baby backs.

My taste buds thought it tasted good. There is a place down here...well in Fort Lauderdale called Tom Jenkins and mine were as juicy, tender and tug off the bone as theirs. Flavor profile was different. Wife doesnt like their ribs either. Nor does she like Shorty's ((a bbq chain that is horendous)).

Even when my firend coal grills burgers she says they are smokey and seems to have brainwashed the kiddlets into tasting the same way she does.

I love her none the less.
I guess you know what your doing, I stand corrected:). My apologies!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
22.5, for sale, smoker, Weber, Weber 22.5