My UDS cook from the weekend (lots of pr0n)

dedmete

Knows what a fatty is.
I posted last week here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62794
thanks for all the info. As promised, here's pic's:
Prepping the meat, 4 8lb butts, rubbed and stuffed with a little bit of minced garlic (I cut a slight across the top for that):
IMG_2833.jpg

Getting things started, later than planned (we drank far to much the night before):
IMG_2839.jpg

Getting the kinsford started in my new Weber chimney:
IMG_2840.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the butt's going on, I was by myself. So I walked over to the pig pen (I did all the cooking at my buddies house), one of these lucky fella's is going to be in my freezer near the end of July, after the 4H fair, so I guess this makes it *LIVE* food pr0n!:
IMG_2844.jpg

4 hours in, things coming along nicely (yes, I love digital temp probes):
IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

So after a while, I got kind of bored, had my wife pick up a white paint pen from the store. I was getting sick of plain old black:
IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

And I had to give credit where credit was due:
IMG_2856.jpg

This was at about 9.5 hours. I ended up foiling the 2 butts on the top rack, just because I had never done that before, I won't do it again:
IMG_2860.jpg

3 of the butts came off at about 6:15pm (I started at 7:00am), they rested in a cooler for about 45 minutes, dinner was at 7. I left the 4th one on, it was still not at the "pullable" stage. I actually think the other 3 could have cooked for another hour. Here's one being pulled:
IMG_2868.jpg

Finally read to eat:
IMG_2870.jpg

I don't have pic's of the pork on sandwiches, I wish I would have taken some. My wife made her BBQ sauce, it was a treat. Everyone loved it! Thanks for all the help here. I owe you guys some beer. We ended up with plenty of leftovers too. I could have easily gotten away with doing either smaller butts or only doing 3. My biggest regret was not getting them started earlier. Next time, I'm starting them before I go to bed. I'm always worried the temps are going to go crazy on my UDS if I don't watch. I should know better. It sat at 250 all day long... around 3pm, I turned it up to about 290, I was nervous they wouldn't be done in time. The last butt didn't come off until around 9 that night. It was perfect!

One other thing, drawing on a hot barrel probably wasn't the most intelligent thing I've ever done. That sucker was hot!

Getting things started, later than planned (we drank far to much the night before)

This sounds strangely familiar...
food-smiley-022.gif

I never foil, myself. While you didn't explain why you won't do that again, I have my reasons, and I'll bet they are close to yours.

I like the garlic idea!

You can never cook a butt too long, IMHO, as long as it gets off within 20-24 hours max.

Damn...that's some fine looking PrOn...
Now, please enlighten this foiler why you don't like it and will never do it again...I always foil after 160* and like the results...

Damn...that's some fine looking PrOn...
Now, please enlighten this foiler why you don't like it and will never do it again...I always foil after 160* and like the results...

Well, I didn't really care for what it did to the bark, and I thought the other 2 un-foiled butts tasted better. I also didn't notice a difference in cook time. As a matter of fact, one of the foiled butts took a whole lot longer to be "done". Now, the 2 butts I foiled where on the top rack for the entire cook, so to be fair, I should try it again, but foil the butts on the bottom rack for a true comparison. Guess I'll have to tell the wife I'm buying 4 more butts for some scientific research.. :)

Dammit.....I'm starving now......NOW!!

Good lookin stuff.

BTW....was that a shiny new chimney starter? Mine hasn't looked that good since I first fired it up!

Also.......I like the "tall" lid. Did that make the smoker taller than the original barrel? I've wondered why a guy couldn't make an extra tall UDS by making an "extension" on the barrel and having the top grate right at the top of the barrel and then make a tall lid. Does making an extra tall UDS work OK? Anyone?

Great looking drum and great looking pork! I know I didn't help with the build but may I have a beer too? :lol:

Dammit.....I'm starving now......NOW!!

Good lookin stuff.

BTW....was that a shiny new chimney starter? Mine hasn't looked that good since I first fired it up!

Also.......I like the "tall" lid. Did that make the smoker taller than the original barrel? I've wondered why a guy couldn't make an extra tall UDS by making an "extension" on the barrel and having the top grate right at the top of the barrel and then make a tall lid. Does making an extra tall UDS work OK? Anyone?

Yes, brand new weber chimney, first time I've used it. My old cheapo from Meijer was rusting out and the handle was starting to fall off. My brother in law helped me make the taller lid. I had an extra drum (closed head). I cut around the drum about 7" (I think) down from the top. I had a lid from another drum the I cut the middle out of, so all that was left was the "ring" or lip, flipped that upside down and my bro-inlaw welded it on the top of lip on the UDS. It makes a really nice seal on the lid. I like it (and use it) more now with the taller lid, I can a lot more meat in there now.

Back