Street-food Question

JG89

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post to the forum although I feel a thanks is already due to the wealth of knowledge and advice on here, its a mine of information, keep up the good work!

I have recently decided to take my love of BBQ to the next level and am starting a small catering business. We will start to operate at a street-food pitch which brings me to my question.

Obviously I am not gonna be able to cook on site (or have the smoker on site at all for that matter), so what would your advice be for the best way (Best meaning as close to tasting as if it was straight from the BBQ) to reheat, hold and serve? I don't want to serve already dripping with suace :mad:

I have no commercial catering experience what so ever so sorry if this is a basic question. I have had a quick search but couldn't find the info on my specifics. Sorry if this has already been discussed and I have missed it.

Thanks again!

What are the health codes in your area. That is the first place to start. Find out what is allowed and then work from there. Do you need a certified kitchen to cook in, to be able to sell you product. There are son general rules that are followed in the States, but I am not sure what a street food pitch is so can I assuming you are not in the States?

Why is it obvious that you can't cook on site?

The pitch will be on a busy high street and I don't really fancy firing up the Lang there and sitting with it all night, I dont think the local authorities would be too pleased either. Sorry I should of elaborated more. Thanks both for showing an interest though!

I am based in the UK. The street food pitch is literally a pop up stall for 4 hours on a busy city street.

Any advice and guidance on methods would be greatly appreciated.

The pitch will be on a busy high street and I don't really fancy firing up the Lang there and sitting with it all night, I dont think the local authorities would be too pleased either. Sorry I should of elaborated more. Thanks both for showing an interest though!

I am based in the UK. The street food pitch is literally a pop up stall for 4 hours on a busy city street.

Any advice and guidance on methods would be greatly appreciated.

speaking of the local authorities, they should be the first ones you ask about doing this so you are legal.

We have been inspected and certified by local authorities.

Any advice on general methods?

Just looking for general advice on the best way to reheat and serve if cooking on site on is not possible

I try not to ever reheat (I've had to once and it worked out pretty good) but if you are committed to that process a good CVAP oven is invaluable to reheat and hold food for service. I have also used Sous Vide baths to reheat and hold food, then move to the CVAP for service.

Just so you know, preparing and serving food is by far the easiest thing about running a commercial food service operation. It's all the other stuff that will wear you down.

If you want to see the process I used to reheat and serve 300 people, click here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206892

Those meats aren't difficult. If you've vacuum packed the meat, heat it back up in the package using boiling water. Many threads on this topic. Or, you can heat the pork and brisket by making a steamer tray out of catering trays and aluminum foil. Add some liquid to the tray before sealing. You can do the same to ribs using aluminum foil to seal but again, add moisture before you seal (BBQ sauce). Ribs heat quick and dry out even quicker so really watch them. Pork butt and brisket are more forgiving. It's a lot of work to heat this meat back up and still keep the quality. I don't recommend it unless you don't have another choice.

Alto Sham (moist electric heat) to reheat and a warming box for holding. Learn this combo and they wont know it was reheated. ;)

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Whats your thoughts on this idea? Cook butts day before...pull..then chill down. Once it comes to the event arrive a few hours early and place the pulled pork in a heavy duty roasting tin, wrap it in foil and reheat/hold/serve on my weber bbq? Would add some liquid to the tin. Do you think the pork would dry out too much?

Probably should of mentioned I am on a budget and not in a position to afford both a sous vide and CVAP. Getting a sous vide is within my means but guess its no use if I have nothing to hold the meat in once reheated?

thanks again for the help :)

That will work, you will lose a little quality, but, it will be fine. You will want to add some moisture to the pans prior to heating. Apple juice and water works great.

I used to do this, but, it is no longer legal in California.
1. Cook whole butts until done, break into 4 to 5 large chunks and cool very fast. Vacuum pack with a little apple juice to moisten meat. Chill.

2. Fire up two Webers, one low heat with a water pan in the bottom, one higher heat. Place the pork chunks into a pan, on the low heat Weber and bring to temperature. When needed, remove a few chunks at a time and sear on higher heat Weber. This gives in a little fresh grill flavor. then pull or chop and serve.

The lower heat with a water pan mimics a moist holding heating cabinet. The hotter one gives the meat a little more texture, and adds to the show. Also pumps more smell into the air.

Back