MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #466
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Dang!!! You're doing this on the one weekend I'm not around!!
I'm flying out with my son to Lincoln Electrics' trade school but I'm really hoping you get the doors open soon and I'll be there for sure.
Hey, while you're there, can you score me a shoebox welder for free, nothing too fancy, although if it can handle 1/4" steel, that would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Now the pressure is on. Word got out and I've got some local food bloggers and the newspaper showing up on Saturday.

All in all I think we're up to about 50 confirmed guests so far. Even have someone coming in all the way from Wisconsin.
No worries, most food bloggers are nuts, who think everyone wants to hear about the food they are eating and how cool they are. Just feed em enough to make them sick, you'll be golden.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #467
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
No worries, most food bloggers are nuts, who think everyone wants to hear about the food they are eating and how cool they are. Just feed em enough to make them sick, you'll be golden.
True. And who wouldn't love this anyway?

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #468
deguerre

Man. Looks good. What kind of cake is that?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #469
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Hah. Well, the corn bread practically is a cake with how much sugar and honey I put in it. But people buckle at the knees when they try it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #470
deguerre

I bet it IS good. Word of advice though. If you notice a customer has a distinct Southern accent, warn them about the sugar before they bite into it expecting cornbread. OR, even better. Have a camera ready to catch their reaction on video. Just sayin'...

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #471
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think you shouldn't worry about the food bloggers or the news paper, you make great Q our you wouldn't even be tryin this.
I'll be there in spirit brother wishing you the best.

And dang that pic looks really good.

Bob I'll see what I can do, got to remember a big coat to sneak it out for ya.
But you got to pay shipping to the left coast

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #472
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Quote:
True. And who wouldn't love this anyway?
That's a good lookin' plate of food. I wish I could get down there saturday. Good luck!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #473
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I will be driving over soon.

I have a daughter who lives in Chicago

next time I go there I will schedule in a side trip!!

glad its finally coming together for you!!
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #474
landarc

Oooo, that looks great. I want to read the first blogger who mentions that you don't use real plates and serve on paper.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #475
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
No matter what you say, people flat love that corncake stuff. Even I do. Like Chevy's sweet corn mush. I want to hate it, but, ask for seconds

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #476
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Oooo, that looks great. I want to read the first blogger who mentions that you don't use real plates and serve on paper.
Yeah, I'm curious to see how people react to a lot of things I do, which could be a good thing or bad thing. Nobody serves BBQ on paper/trays like this around here. Nobody serves BBQ that isn't swimming in sauce. Virtually nobody even makes their own sauce. Nobody knows what brisket is because it's almost non-existent up here. The majority of the "BBQ" places here just grill their meat and don't actually smoke it (I learned a lot from my cook that has worked at a few local BBQ places over the years). And nobody knows what a Carolina style vinegar sauce is, but they fall in love with it after the first bite. Oh, and around here, coleslaw is basically a cabbage mayonnaise soup, not fresh, light, and full of flavor.

So yeah, it will be interesting. Will standing out among the competition be the big draw, or will people shy away because it's not what they are used to? Only time will tell, but I can say that from the dozens of people we've had come in so far to try the food, it's going to be a hit. I already have a regular "customer", an old North Carolina native who pops in almost every day if he drives by and sees my car there. He knows that I'll give him some samples and says it reminds him of home. And he's even putting together a neat custom frame to hold my first dollar in.

I can only hope that all this excitement and loyalty before we open is a sign of good things to come, but I've always got my doubts. The proof will be in the pudding over the next six months or so.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #477
peeps

very cool about the old NC dude!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #478
landarc

Talk to your customers is all I can say. Don't trust the critics or the bloggers too much. They can sway some opinions, but, talking with folks is the way to go. Sure it means you are not cooking, and that you don't get to do the fun stuff, unless you like talking to people. But, direct feedback, and asking folks to be honest, that matters a lot. Let them know that you want to learn what is, or isn't working.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #479
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yeah, I'm curious to see how people react to a lot of things I do, which could be a good thing or bad thing. Nobody serves BBQ on paper/trays like this around here. Nobody serves BBQ that isn't swimming in sauce. Virtually nobody even makes their own sauce. Nobody knows what brisket is because it's almost non-existent up here. The majority of the "BBQ" places here just grill their meat and don't actually smoke it (I learned a lot from my cook that has worked at a few local BBQ places over the years). And nobody knows what a Carolina style vinegar sauce is, but they fall in love with it after the first bite. Oh, and around here, coleslaw is basically a cabbage mayonnaise soup, not fresh, light, and full of flavor.

So yeah, it will be interesting. Will standing out among the competition be the big draw, or will people shy away because it's not what they are used to? Only time will tell, but I can say that from the dozens of people we've had come in so far to try the food, it's going to be a hit. I already have a regular "customer", an old North Carolina native who pops in almost every day if he drives by and sees my car there. He knows that I'll give him some samples and says it reminds him of home. And he's even putting together a neat custom frame to hold my first dollar in.

I can only hope that all this excitement and loyalty before we open is a sign of good things to come, but I've always got my doubts. The proof will be in the pudding over the next six months or so.

It's a restaurant. There's going to be kinks opening day. Any consumer with any brains should know that it's not going to be perfect out of the gate. If some lame blogger flames you. No sweat. They probably don't know what good BBQ is anyway.

Funny new restaurant story, a Sonic (fast food hamburger joint) opened near me a couple weeks ago. My normal reaction before visiting any new restaurant is to "wait two or three weeks and let them work the kinks out" before I visit. Well, I was hungry and they were close. I think they had been open a little over a week. So I got a burger, etc from them. I'm at home eating it while doing some work and about half way though it I starting thinking "this burger is not right". So I opened it to investigate what the issue was. Much to my surprise...THERE WAS NO MEAT IN IT!!! LOLOL. Just lettuce, pickles, onions and mustard. No meat.

I started laughing and showed the wife and I was like "What idiots!! They forgot to put meat in my hamburger!!!" The wife's reply......"Well, you ate most of it and did not even realize that, so that makes you a bigger idiot!" LOL.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #480
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yeah, I'm curious to see how people react to a lot of things I do, which could be a good thing or bad thing. [...]
I don't own a restaurant (and didn't even eat in a Holiday In last night ) but I believe that this is what separates "just another place to eat food" from the truly great places. It may take folks some time to get over the novelty but will provide the basis for a truly memorable and enjoyable experience.

I have been impressed by all of the knowledge and forethought you have put into this and I believe that your judgement on this issue is on target. Your spot is not too far off the track between us and our son's place in Auburn Hills and I look forward to stopping by one day.