Buffalo

K

kcquer

The Mrs has wanted to try some of this for sometime. Anyone have any experience cooking/eating buffalo?

It's supposed to be quite lean so my first impression is that it wouldn't be very good for smoking, but a pork loin should be too and it's one of my very favorite Q foods.

We're going to buy some tomorrow, so any advice on cuts or cooking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Had some fried with lot's of onions a few years back loved it, if I recall I went back for seconds two or three times. Never thought of BBQ maybe grilled as you said too lean for a long ccok.

Trout

Never have smoked it, but usually do one pot of chili a year using bison and venison. Good stuff and lean.

Newp, never had the pleasure. That surely does not mean I am not interested in hearing how one would go about smoking one, if at all.

Have had some buffalo burgers before, and they were quite good. Afraid I'm with the others on how it would be smoked - don't know. Can't hurt to try though! It's good meat; as long as you can keep it from drying out I bet it would be great.
oh.... I have had buffalo wings... fried, grilled, baked..... didn't seem to taste anything like those burgers though....... :mrgreen:

Buffalo is cooked very slow and at low temps, a finish internal over a 140º is asking for a tough piece of meat. The blood and the color of the meat is dark red almost brown sometimes, that is normal. I never go beyond med rare when I cook it.
A google search will give you a lot of information from different buffalo producers around the country.

City Boy question here. Is Bison and Buffalo the same thing?

Midnight will be able to add to this thread.

He sent me some Tri Tip Buffalo steaks (or was it Bison?)

Jim, would you smoke steaks? or are you talking about whole roasts?

Bill- I would smoke steaks (very tasty) sear quickly at the end.
Bison/buffalo same same.

Same animal basically. Bison is what they are, buffalo was the name for them in North America. Wissent was their name in Europe.

I ended up with a buffalo brisket, 4# (this place butchers @ 18 months). Barring any advice to the contrary I plan to brine it about 8 hrs, wrap it in bacon and into the belly (coolest part) of the cimmaron tomorrow while i cook some country style pork ribs and a beef brisket point for burnt ends from my last whole brisket cook.
Got some buffalo burgers for dinner tonight and we stopped at our more traditional meat market for lump and picked up some hawaiian and apple brats, probably going to sample those Monday night during the Chiefs v Rams game.

I've had the buffalo burgers before. Very lean. Very tasty. Let us know how the brisket comes out.

Mista

Mrs, thought the burgers were OK, I liked them a lot. 0% shrinkage on the grill I like that too. The Mrs' daughter tried the burgers at a local fall festival and didn't care for them, I suspect they were overdone.
I think the ground meat would make awesome tacos, chili, sloppy joes etc.

Buffalo Brisket was a fun experiment. It was fun to try to make something edible out of something that probably shouldn't have gone on the smoker at all.
A 4# buffalo brisket is just a tiny little whole brisket; point, flat and all. Should have taken pictures, I brined as planned and put it low in the cimarron with the butt ribs over top for basting. When I wrapped the country style ribs I wrapped the brisket in bacon and took it to 160 then wrapped with bacon still on. Took it up to 184 (should probably gone a bit higher) then coolered for 2 hrs. It was tender and not terribly dry. Pretty tasty with the rub. Will cook it a bit on reheat (lots of au jus to work with) and see how it ends up.

Buffalo is no big deal. Just treat it like lean beef. Treat it well with tenderizer and rub it with your favorite spice. Cook it low and slow and do not allow it to dry out. You might do a 321 X 2 or even smoke it for about 8 hours then put it in a roaster with a can of cheap beer overnight at 180 degrees. Also, if it was grass fed then expect it to taste like it was grass fed. Some people call it gamy and do not like it, but to me it is more flavorful and much better. I also like beef that is grass fed. If you do not like the grass fed flavor then pull the meat into shreds and add a good BBQ sauce for the last several hours in the roaster. Then pile it high on big buns and dig in. I ate buffalo like this in Oklahoma two months ago and it was mighty good.

Sorry I didn't have a chance to chime in earlier, I hav been at the local county fair for the last 7 days.

Sounds like everyone pretty much answered your question already. If you ever get the chance try Buffalo ribs- very good, kind of like beef ribs. Buffalo tri tip makes a great "beef" stroganoff. Don't know if I would smoke the tri tip though.

Buffalo and Bison are the same thing. A true Buffalo is only found in the arctic or Africa continents, The corect north american name is Bison. Or as we call 'em- furry cows.

Fun Fact: In the early 1800's people of the Dakotas burned dried buffalo "chips" (aka: poop) as a way to heat thier homes and to cook over. (yummmm!)

Fun Fact: In the early 1800's people of the Dakotas burned dried buffalo "chips" (aka: poop) as a way to heat thier homes and to cook over. (yummmm!)

it didn't stink ?

brdbbq said:

it didn't stink ?

I suppose it did but I think the people stunk back then too. Not many showered every day or even every week!

midnight said:
brdbbq said:

it didn't stink ?

I suppose it did but I think the people stunk back then too. Not many showered every day or even every week!

Once a year.

Hay man, it ain't healthy to wash up too often. It will cause stagnation of the lungs.

Back