buffalo brisket

P

pqbbq

Went to Central Market yesterday and while I was getting beer, Angela bought a buffalo brisket. I put it on the smoker about 30 minutes ago and it had nearly no fat on it.

So I took a 1015 onion and sliced it up and covered the top.

Using cherry wood!

Anyone ever done buffalo brisket before?

I did a buffalo brisket a couple years ago. Too little fat for sure. By the time it got tender it was exceedingly dry. I really liked the flavor, and ended up reheating in the crock pot with some beef brisket juices and it was quite edible that way.

The one i did was from a yearling animal and was quite small (4# for a whole brisket).

edited to add- Here's a link to the thread I posted at the time. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9163&highlight=buffalo

Screwed it up! Let it dry out!

Onions were supposed to help but didn't!

Had to go to Mother in Law's house for a B-Day party and left early to check on the piece of meat. Peeked in the smoker and it was covered in juices - so I think OKAY - no need to wrap in foil.

Added more wood and two hours later - it was dried out, but it tastes very good!

Next time - rib recipe - 2 hours then foil and ice!

And maybe bacon on top!

pqbbq said:
Went to Central Market yesterday and while I was getting beer, Angela bought a buffalo brisket. I put it on the smoker about 30 minutes ago and it had nearly no fat on it.

So I took a 1015 onion and sliced it up and covered the top.

Using cherry wood!

Anyone ever done buffalo brisket before?

what is 1015 ?

Bigmista said:
A Texas sweet onion that is only planted on 10/15. Or harvested on that date. Hell ask a Texan.

1015 is the number that Texas A & M named them after they invented the species!

I used to grow TAM 101 wheat!

A & M has one of the best agriculture reserch facitlities in nation.

They developed some of the best cotton and wheat seeds know to man.

pqbbq said:

Had to go to Mother in Law's house for a B-Day party and left early to check on the piece of meat. Peeked in the smoker and it was covered in juices - so I think OKAY - no need to wrap in foil.

Added more wood and two hours later - it was dried out, but it tastes very good!

And maybe bacon on top!

Maybe you could inject some fat next time if you try another one. If it was dry you could have reconstituted the slices with some beef broth and a little FAB-B.

pqbbq said:

And maybe bacon on top!

I cooked some elk last summer ... same deal, really lean. I put a butt on the shelf above for a while. Don't know how much fat ran over the elk but it was edible, for sure. I only took it to 140º though, probably not enough for a brisket.

Back