MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Are you sure the ash catcher is being installed/reinstalled properly? It shouldn't be falling off on it's own.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
RutledgeQ
Got Wood.

I had to flair the lips out more. Once I did that it was fine.
RutledgeQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
RutledgeQ
Got Wood.

This approach does look rather elegent. I might have to give it a shot. I was only a little worried about high heat grilling and the plastic barb on the manifold, but I assume that won't be too much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoney72 View Post
I installed a digiq dx 2 and I think option #2 is probably gonna be your best bet because you will still be able to use your grill conventionally like you always have. With option #1 you will only be able to use your grill with your ique only. As for performance I have been using mine today since 11:00 am and my temps have been at exactly at my set point the whole time. Drilling a hole in your kettle is the hardest thing to do in option #2, but I can use my grill with or without my guru. Here are some pics, in this first pic I put the weber adapter just above where the one touch system goes by the adapter which is what allows me to still use the grill conventionally
And this next pic is the adapter mounted on the outside of the kettle underneath the grill near the gas assist tube

And here is how I mounted the digiq dx 2
Hope this helps, you will love your new toy!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I've been using a temperature controller with my Performer for years. I got pretty much the same toys you do...though some are made by different companies. You are going to love these new toys! The Performer works awesome as a smoker and my temperature controllers are rock solid on temps. I can fit a full size packer brisket, 2 large pork butts, or 4-5 racks of ribs in a rack. I have no problems setting and holding temps as low as 200 or as high as 375. (I'm sure I could go lower or higher, I've just never needed to.) The performer actually holds low temps better than my keg.

Like the other reviewers suggested, I think you will want to tap the bowl and install an adapter. I put mine in the front and really like that position because it allows me to build a fire in the back instead of on the left (which causes the smoke to to reflect off the lid and come right back in my face when the lid is in the holder.) It's also not competing for space with the gas assist. Though I can totally see the benefits of having the fan under the table too (weather).

There is a spot at about the 5 oclock position on the Performer that is great for running probe wires (if you want to drill an eyelet) because it keeps the wires out of the way.

Congratulations on your new toys.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

RutledgeQ,
What did you use to mount the Digi to the front of the performer like that? It looks awesome! I may do that.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

Have two IQs, love them!! My DigiQ hasn't seen much use since I got the IQs!
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
RutledgeQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
RutledgeQ,
What did you use to mount the Digi to the front of the performer like that? It looks awesome! I may do that.
It's not min, but it is nice!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
RutledgeQ
Got Wood.

I made my "water proof" box. I use quotes because I cracked my box making it. I gues I'll try to use silicone to try to seal the cracks so it functions.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Squared View Post
Have two IQs, love them!! My DigiQ hasn't seen much use since I got the IQs!
Well then send it up the road to me and I'll give her a good home!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

@hogsfan ill I did was drill two holes just slightly larger than the mounting tabs on the digiq and put it in those holes and it locks on like its glued. I will try to post a pic for you sometime tomorrow
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

@hogsfan here is a picture of how I mounted the digi
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Wow MStoney, That looks like it works great. It looks like my Performer is going to have some "surgery" this weekend. ;)

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
Wow MStoney, That looks like it works great. It looks like my Performer is going to have some "surgery" this weekend. ;)

Thanks.
I am a very very happy man with my digiq, a step drill makes it real easy to perform your surgery, just make sure you get the spread right on the two holes and you will be golden
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #29
RutledgeQ
Got Wood.

So I bit the bullet and now I regret it. I drilled a hole in the front and I don't think it was the right spot. I accidentally tightened the bold to the point of slightly bending the manifold, but there is still a 1/4" gap at some places between the grill and the manifold. I am not sure how good the controller will be with that kind of gap. I don't want to turn my weber into swiss cheese so what can i do?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutledgeQ View Post
So I bit the bullet and now I regret it. I drilled a hole in the front and I don't think it was the right spot. I accidentally tightened the bold to the point of slightly bending the manifold, but there is still a 1/4" gap at some places between the grill and the manifold. I am not sure how good the controller will be with that kind of gap. I don't want to turn my weber into swiss cheese so what can i do?

I'm wondering if you couldn't get their air hose adapter that they are offering on there website. I'm not sure how big of a hole you have already drilled, but you could possibly use a step drill and drill it until you have the right size. Right now you have the big bowl thing on the outside, correct? Also with those adapters you could put an adaptor on another cooker and use you iq on that too, just sayin:)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Tags
iQue 110, Thermapen, Thermoworks