• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Im goin' to Kansas City... Kansas City here I come.

Cabntmkr1

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Taking the family to KC this coming holiday weekend.
Moved from there 20 years ago. Lot's of things have changed in the time I've been gone.
Maybe some of you KC area brothers can tell me where the best bbq joints are near to World's Of Fun now.
We want to hit a good 'que joint that's more of a brethern type place, not a commercial joint like the Arthur Bryants/Gates/Jack Stacks, or Oklahoma Joes.
Any ideas?

Moderators:
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this thread, so please move this if needed.

LC's
5800 Blue Parkway
Kansas City, Mo 64129
816-923-4484

Looking on Google Earth it is 12.2 miles from Worlds of Fun and is a 19 minute drive.

Good stuff there.

Has anyone been to Bates City BBQ lately. I used to LOVE that place, but I haven't been in several years. I used to eat there on the way back to MU. It's about 30 miles from Worlds of Fun, but it's all multi-lane highway (435 and 70).

Hi Cabinet,

Arthur Bryants is famous and all but it's still a real joint isn't it? At least the one on Brooklyn?

J

Taking the family to KC this coming holiday weekend.
Moved from there 20 years ago. Lot's of things have changed in the time I've been gone.
Maybe some of you KC area brothers can tell me where the best bbq joints are near to World's Of Fun now.
We want to hit a good 'que joint that's more of a brethern type place, not a commercial joint like the Arthur Bryants/Gates/Jack Stacks, or Oklahoma Joes.

The best BBQ this weekend will be at the Woodlands Race Track on the Kansas side.....at the Great American BBQ. Along with quite a few Brethren brothers and sisters!

Hey Cabntmkr1 I don't know about the Q joints anymore but Worlds of fun brings back some fond memories. Used to go there every summer when I lived in Wichita about 20 years ago.

Hi Cabinet,

Arthur Bryants is famous and all but it's still a real joint isn't it? At least the one on Brooklyn?

J
Hi J...
The Arthur bryants on brooklyn is the ONLY one I would eat at.
I have heard that the satellites do not have the same quality of food and service as the original.
I am hoping to try more of a mom and pop kind of place.
The grass-roots kind of home-made 'que, if you will.

The best BBQ this weekend will be at the Woodlands Race Track on the Kansas side.....at the Great American BBQ. Along with quite a few Brethren brothers and sisters!
I would be interested in knowing if the brethern will be doing any vending.
It's a little bit of a drive from World's Of Fun, but all highway.:mrgreen:
Let me know if you have any additional info, please.
Thanks.
Cab

I am hoping to try more of a mom and pop kind of place. The grass-roots kind of home-made 'que, if you will.

Cabinet, LC's fits your wants perfectly, IMHO. You will be able to see it without finding the address number due to the smoke surrounding the place. The big smoker is right behind the counter and you can watch em tend the meat right there.

Another good one but a bit more of a drive is Wabash in Excelsior Springs. Check out www.wabashbbq.com

Cabinet, LC's fits your wants perfectly, IMHO. You will be able to see it without finding the address number due to the smoke surrounding the place. The big smoker is right behind the counter and you can watch em tend the meat right there.

Another good one but a bit more of a drive is Wabash in Excelsior Springs. Check out www.wabashbbq.com
We will be in KC for 3 days, I may have to make it a point of trying several places.:grin:
LC's sounds nice to me. I like the idea of eating at LC's one day, and then hitting the cook-off and meeting some brethern on one of the other days.
I'm not sure if they are vending at the cook-off though....??
It's too far away from where I'm going to be, but I remember a nice little joint in an old gas station in Lee's Summit, I think it was.
I love the little mom and pop type places.
I used to go down this old back alley in KC, Ks. off of Quindaro and an old man smoked 'que and sold it out of his back door.
Wonderful stuff! I'll bet the guy is long dead now.

I would be interested in knowing if the brethern will be doing any vending.
It's a little bit of a drive from World's Of Fun, but all highway.:mrgreen:
Let me know if you have any additional info, please.
Thanks.
Cab
I don't think anyone is vending....but depending on what time and day you come out, I bet you could get some of the actual comp. meat. You are welcome to come to space 352. Andy is cooking both the invit. and the open. So we will have meat starting at 12:00pm on both Sat & Sun. I would post in the GAB Space Thread and see what some of the other say. MoKan Meathead & Singing Bob(Wayne & Bob) are next to us and then Jeff_in_KC (Big Creek BBQ) are next to them.

I used to go down this old back alley in KC, Ks. off of Quindaro and an old man smoked 'que and sold it out of his back door.
Wonderful stuff! I'll bet the guy is long dead now.

There is Quick's BBQ off of 7th and Kansas Ave. in KCK. Rosedale BBQ. btw....I would stay away from Quindaro these days.

I went to the gas station place in Lee's Summit a couple years back and the atmosphere was cool but the Q did nothing for me. Hit Rosedales last Xmas and it was okay but not more. Let me know if you try LC's will love to hear another opinion.

I went to the gas station place in Lee's Summit a couple years back and the atmosphere was cool but the Q did nothing for me. Hit Rosedales last Xmas and it was okay but not more. Let me know if you try LC's will love to hear another opinion.
I will, Jerry.
Thanks for the tip.

I don't think anyone is vending....but depending on what time and day you come out, I bet you could get some of the actual comp. meat. You are welcome to come to space 352. Andy is cooking both the invit. and the open. So we will have meat starting at 12:00pm on both Sat & Sun. I would post in the GAB Space Thread and see what some of the other say. MoKan Meathead & Singing Bob(Wayne & Bob) are next to us and then Jeff_in_KC (Big Creek BBQ) are next to them.

There is Quick's BBQ off of 7th and Kansas Ave. in KCK. Rosedale BBQ. btw....I would stay away from Quindaro these days.
Same ol' Quindaro, sounds like.:wink:
I will try to swing by and meet everyone.
Thanks for the info.:mrgreen:

Same ol' Quindaro, sounds like.:wink:
I will try to swing by and meet everyone.
Thanks for the info.:mrgreen:

BTW - My Wife had a "snot" storm going with her typing.... it is Spot 325, not 352. And there are ALOT of brethren within that area...Heck I am next door to two and across the isle from a couple. As Kim said, we'll have something rolling all weekend -- so come on by!!

Don't forget about Oklahoma Joes, both the orginal and the one in Olathe are good, plus you have the KC BBQ store to browse around in at the Olathe location. I agree with the orginal Bryants, I think the one at the Legends shut down.

I recommend the burnt ends from LC's. :-D

Go to BB's Lawnside BBQ for an evening meal if you like the Blues. The have a band playing there on weekends. :icon_cool BBQ is good there but the music is great. :icon_cool

DO NOT got to the new Danny Edwards place on SW Blvd. Place sucks butt... and not pork butt.

There is or was a BBQ place across the interstate from WoFun, but not sure if it is any good or still open.

DO NOT got to the new Danny Edwards place on SW Blvd. Place sucks butt... and not pork butt.

There is or was a BBQ place across the interstate from WoFun, but not sure if it is any good or still open.
I haven't heard of this one, but thanks for the tip, Plowboy.
I definitely trust the brethern's opinions on this stuff!

Back