MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Trimming brisket

I have seen several threads that mention pre-trimming brisket before it is cooked so it fits the box better without trimming after you cook. Do you just trim off the sides or cut with the grain so the slices will go against it? any pics, links or help greatly appreciated.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

From what I've heard you trim the brisky so that when it's all cooked up & done it will fit the box with a full smoke ring & bark all around each slice. That way you don't fold the slices or cut off any bark or smoke ring. Gives a much better appearance that way.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
I have seen several threads that mention pre-trimming brisket before it is cooked so it fits the box better without trimming after you cook. Do you just trim off the sides or cut with the grain so the slices will go against it? any pics, links or help greatly appreciated.
I've not done it this way as I trim pretty aggressively from all sides, but I understand what you are saying... If you only cut straight up/down you mightl end up making the brisket narrower but only really end up potentially trimming small portions of the flat slices that will go in the box.

You really have to look at each brisket differently and assess which way the grain in running and ideally where your slices are going to come from..

Then.. if you want to be like Sledneck, bust out a 1" x 30' Stanley Fat Max tape measure and find the sweet spot picture frame section and measure approximately the width of that area and cut it down to approximately the size of the turn in box width...

if you do this, just be sure to account for and borders you may have in the box from garnish, and if you position slices horizontally or diagonally and
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

We use disposable cutting boards at contests that have a rule printed on them. Makes it a snap to ensure your brisket will fit the box!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
We use disposable cutting boards at contests that have a rule printed on them. Makes it a snap to ensure your brisket will fit the box!
We do the same and use the disposable cutting boards from smoky mountain smokers. Makes measuring for the box a heck of a lot easier.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
BBQNUTT
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I've not done it this way as I trim pretty aggressively from all sides, but I understand what you are saying... If you only cut straight up/down you mightl end up making the brisket narrower but only really end up potentially trimming small portions of the flat slices that will go in the box.

You really have to look at each brisket differently and assess which way the grain in running and ideally where your slices are going to come from..

Then.. if you want to be like Sledneck, bust out a 1" x 30' Stanley Fat Max tape measure and find the sweet spot picture frame section and measure approximately the width of that area and cut it down to approximately the size of the turn in box width...

if you do this, just be sure to account for and borders you may have in the box from garnish, and if you position slices horizontally or diagonally and
So when you trim a brisket do you just trim it to fit the box or do you also trim the thickness of the meat to make each slice as rectangular as possible?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQNUTT View Post
So when you trim a brisket do you just trim it to fit the box or do you also trim the thickness of the meat to make each slice as rectangular as possible?
I don't trim the thickness. Hard enough to find a packer with a thick flat as it is. I just trim the width.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Anyone have a rule of thumb of how much to allow for cooking shrinkage for the length of the slice?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Anyone have a rule of thumb of how much to allow for cooking shrinkage for the length of the slice?
Ummmm...depends on how cold the water is?

Seinfeld Mod.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Good answer! "Ive got shinkage!"

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2