• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Humbled in Hazelwood...

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Man... we got STOMPED in Hazelwood. :doh:

Rightfully so, but still, a nasty blow to the ego and fairly discouraging overall. I already posted the chicken box in the "Worst Ever Turn-in Box" thread, but here it is again, just in case you need to scare the children....
2010CookoffKickoffChicken.jpg

and the Ribs
2010CookoffKickoffribs.jpg

The Pork I thought was ok when we did it - after being awake for about 36 hours - now...in retrospect and with a little more sleep... not so much.
2010CookoffKickoffPork.jpg

Brisket got us straight 9's on appearance. It must have been the same judges who recognized the horror and wanted to give us a break.
2010CookoffKickoffBrisket.jpg

I think we'll curl up in a fetal position and hide over the summer.

Can I suggest a mentor. The charred remains would be a turn-off for most judges, and the presentation leaves something to be desired. Get someone to show you how to put together a box and either lose the wood or foil the meat.

PM me and I will be more than happy to discuss some of the issues I see. If you wish, I can call you and talk as that is cheap.

Hang right in there - take a look around and look at other teams' boxes on here and other forums. Keep trying, improve, improvise, adapt and overcome (or something like that..LOL)

Appearance does count - but from I can gather - it's the other 2 you really want to focus on. Best of luck on your next go 'round!

The pics look dark, was that the lighting? If not...I'd say that you are cooking too hot, with too much sugar and too hot, wet/green wood, or don't have a clean/efficient fire going. Address those issues and you are on track, based on the pics. The boxes need some work but if you are putting a quality product in the box that's an easy fix.

The most important question is....Did you have a good time, and do you want to do it again?:becky:

The pics look dark, was that the lighting? If not...I'd say that you are cooking too hot, with too much sugar and too hot, wet/green wood, or don't have a clean/efficient fire going. Address those issues and you are on track, based on the pics. The boxes need some work but if you are putting a quality product in the box that's an easy fix.

The most important question is....Did you have a good time, and do you want to do it again?:becky:

It could have been the lighting the clouds were moving in right before the tornado.

I can tell you the chicken didnt taste bad. I was working the leftover table and there was only one box that came back with that type of chicken
I wasnt in score mode and i dont know how much i really remember but i would have given it an 8 or perhaps a high 7.

Jason, it was great being your neighbor, and appreciated the southern hospitality. Thanks for the sample of rub, I will try it on some home cooking soon. Don't be discouraged, we all have had bad days. The best part about having a bbq passion is that there is allways next weekend.

Jason is was nice meeting you at the comp. I tried your stuff and thought it tasted great. Don't let this comp discourage you guys. Maybe I'll see you next year....I'm planning on being at the same spot..

Jon

I didn't get around to see many people at hazelwood...I guess I was concentrating on producing crappy ribs and pork.. are you headed to Steeleville? We will be there. My first rule anymore is make sure you get some sleep...I never turn in good product when I have been up that long..
We all have bad comps..just improve your game a little each time...

I didn't get around to see many people at hazelwood...I guess I was concentrating on producing crappy ribs and pork.. are you headed to Steeleville? We will be there. My first rule anymore is make sure you get some sleep...I never turn in good product when I have been up that long..
We all have bad comps..just improve your game a little each time...
No. Unfortunately, we won't be doing any more comps until September. My partners' are headed back to Charlotte and Iowa and I'm not up to doing one solo, soooo...

That being said, I think I'll practice more at home during really crappy weather and see what I need to do to keep my temps controlled when the Cloud People want to dance a little.

Jason, it was great being your neighbor, and appreciated the southern hospitality. Thanks for the sample of rub, I will try it on some home cooking soon. Don't be discouraged, we all have had bad days. The best part about having a bbq passion is that there is allways next weekend.

Hey Joe! Welcome to the brethren!

Jason is was nice meeting you at the comp. I tried your stuff and thought it tasted great. Don't let this comp discourage you guys. Maybe I'll see you next year....I'm planning on being at the same spot..

Jon

We would be glad to have you. Did I really see you leaving Sunday at 2?

Hey Joe... Sorry for my whiny post. You and your son did GREAT! It was good to be your neighbor. I'm going to have to see if I can get one of those salvage drums from work like you. Thinking of trying aerogel as the insulator though instead of mineral wool. A LOT lighter.

If I can find enough Pyrogel XT, I may just line the inside of a regular barrel and see how that works.

Greg, thanks. Really nice comp, except for the rain, wind, and tornado warning, but we all survived in tack. You and Beth really did a great job, the both of you deserve a pat on the back and a day off. I can't wait till next year. Talk to you soon. Joe

same here Jason, glad to meet you and other brothers that were there. i didn't get much of a chance to get around. guess i was nerves about this being my first comp. just glad i got everything turned in on time. that all i wanted. i will be there next year for i had a great time.
hope to see you there next year
Ron :p:p

Kicked in Hazelwood

I judged at Hazelwood:bow: I didn't see any of your entries. I can tell you this, entries were all over the place. There was raw chicken, ribs without bones etc. As an ex-competitor I understand your feelings because I have been there. Don't quit, go to a good class.:clap2: Wish you could see the winning entries compared to yours. The judges worked very hard and fully realized the conditions you were working under. Every competitor has been where you are. Look at it this way you have only one way to go UP:doh:

Jon
hey Jon, don't think i got to meet you but we were right across the road from you and southern home boys. maybe next year
thx
Ron :p:p

No sir. We packed up between the last turn-in and the awards. We were on the road right after the MallCop suggested we wait a few minutes for the tornado to go away.
I thought that was a tornado siren I heard as we were pulling out of the parking lot..As soon as we turned north on 79 it was dry as a bone..

Back