Beef Temp

S

sajones97

I was on a prime rib thread recently, and saw the low temps being posted.

What I've gathered so far is that most are concerned with the superficial temp where most of the nasties tend to show up, and that these buggies can't survive past 165*.

My question is, what's a safe internal temp for prime rib and steak? Some of you seem ok with an internal temp in the ballpark of 120*, but is that safe?

Maybe a better question is: if I want to turn out some tender prime rib, when is an internal temp below 140* and above 120* NOT safe?

(I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question. If anyone can clear this up a better way, by all means please ask a more informed/informative question!)

Thanks for the help!

E-coli is the concern with beef. E-coli is in the intestinal tract of the animal. If by chance it gets on the surface of the beef then it will be killed upon the high out side temps put upon the surface. E-coli comes into play mostly with ground beef because what was on the outside is now on the inside. Thats where youhave to be concerned with getting your beef to an internal of 155f.
Is that of any help?

^^
That's exactly right. The steaks get hot enough on the outside where the bacteria is that it kills any bad stuff.

So .... what's the safe temperature for inside meat (internal) that was never outside meat (not subject to touching foreign elements)?

Thanks all.

Follow-up question: what assurance can I give that a prime rib roast with an internal temp of 130*-140* is safe?

My guess is "none", but it sounds like the Brethren here think this is an acceptable risk.

Why?

Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

Back