• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Ever since reading this thread I have been searching craigslist trying to find a 22.5 inch Kettle and I was going to pick one up this evening for $15, but then this green beauty showed up for free! It is a rescue from one of my tenants that moved out and left it behind for me. I have never grilled on a charcoal grill before except for the UDS I built so i'm sure there will be a learning curve. The grill is in pretty good condition and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little. It has an EZ stamp which I think is a 1998.

2011-07-18_12-01-42_285.jpg

The grill is in pretty good condition and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little. It has an EZ stamp which I think is a 1998.
Yep, 98 is right.
That is in pretty good shape.
If it were mine I would take the wood handles off and do a light sanding job on them to clean them up. I've been using Teak Oil to treat the handles after sanding and have had great results.
Good score.

Yep, 98 is right.
That is in pretty good shape.
If it were mine I would take the wood handles off and do a light sanding job on them to clean them up. I've been using Teak Oil to treat the handles after sanding and have had great results.
Good score.

Thanks, I might have to give that a shot to bring back the handles a bit. There is a few chips in the paint on the other side of the lid so it isn't quite as good as it looks. I am pretty excited to start cooking on it!

Nice Score Brian, I just scored a 22.5-inch red Weber kettle in mint condition... Can anyone date the "BAR-B-Q KETTLE" stamp on this one?

Attachments

• fireball2.jpg
    fireball2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 453
  • fireball.jpg
    fireball.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 452
Ever since reading this thread I have been searching craigslist trying to find a 22.5 inch Kettle and I was going to pick one up this evening for $15, but then this green beauty showed up for free! It is a rescue from one of my tenants that moved out and left it behind for me. I have never grilled on a charcoal grill before except for the UDS I built so i'm sure there will be a learning curve. The grill is in pretty good condition and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little. It has an EZ stamp which I think is a 1998.

2011-07-18_12-01-42_285.jpg

Welcome to the kettle frat! I too have an EZ green kettle. It is a master touch which is the forerunner of the modern gold. It has a therm. in the handle and the lid holder like the performer. I love mine! I received it new for a wedding gift but had to wait a year to move out of an apartment before I could use it. It was a long year! I clean it thoroughly each season and have replaced the grates once. That is all the maintenance it has needed for 12+ years of service! I have cooked thousands of meals on it and especially have enjoyed it on medium heat indirect smokes of 2-4 hours.

Nice Score Brian, I just scored a 22.5-inch red Weber kettle in mint condition... Can anyone date the "BAR-B-Q KETTLE" stamp on this one?

Sorry bro, all you know about the date if there is no stamp is that it's pre 1979... I even asked weber a couple of months ago and the person I talked to said that there really wasnt any way to tell...

hey knucklhead, I went to their facebook page and the guy monitoring that said it was likely made between 1960-1974 because it was manufactured in Arlington Heights Ill.

Welcome to the kettle frat! I too have an EZ green kettle. It is a master touch which is the forerunner of the modern gold. It has a therm. in the handle and the lid holder like the performer. I love mine! I received it new for a wedding gift but had to wait a year to move out of an apartment before I could use it. It was a long year! I clean it thoroughly each season and have replaced the grates once. That is all the maintenance it has needed for 12+ years of service! I have cooked thousands of meals on it and especially have enjoyed it on medium heat indirect smokes of 2-4 hours.

Thanks, I'll bet that was a long year! I only had mine for one day before I had to try my hand at cooking on it. I cooked up two t-bones and a pack of hot dogs for the family and I. This was my first cook ever on a charcoal grill and it went pretty good but I still have a lot to learn. I used a full chimney worth of charcoal and laid a few more briquettes on the charcoal grate to make a bed of charcoal. I think I should of just used the one chimney full and I should of spread it out more evenly across the bottom and let it burn down a little more to settle down before putting the meat on.

Overall it was a success but I need more practice to fine tune my technique.

Hey Buckhunter, try offset grilling... pile a full chimney of coals on one side of the charcoal grate and put the meat grate back on and cook your steak on the cooler side of the grill until you get them almost done and then toss them over the coals to get a little sear before pulling them off to rest...

Thinned the herd! Hoarders got to me!

Over the past month I've gotten rid of:

2 Weber 1000 gas grills
1 Genesis Silver A
1 Black Performer
3 Green 22"
1 Blue 22"
6 Red 22"
4 Black 22"
1 Gray 22"
1 SJP
1 SJS
2 Weber Redneck Firepits

IMG_3991.jpg

Thats it! I quit! No mas!

Joined the nut house!

My CL purchase yesterday is a score in my mind! A 22 1/2 inch, 1997 (EI) black Weber One Touch - Silver.

Good to great condition. Maybe replace the charcoal grate some day. Scrubbed the cooking grate till it shined! Replaced the black leg cap.

Wood handles need some tlc. Small touch-up where the handle meets the lid. (surface only)

Thrilled! :clap2:

Well, I'm down one Weber. I gave the 22.5 OTG I picked up off CL a few months back to my brother as a house warming gift after he bought his new place.

This month I've purchased a new bottom kit (legs, wheels, etc) for my old 17yr old 22 Silver, and I purchased a new grate for my 10yr old 22 Silver. This weekend our crappy el-cheapo gasser gave up the ghost, so yesterday I ordered a green Weber Genesis E-310. Tough to beat Weber quality, IMHO.

so, I am having dinner tonight at the Weber Grill in Schaumburg, and as always, its fantastic... pork tenderloin with a rosemary somethin' or other... and when I walk out there is a RED 22.5 kettle in the waiting area with a DO (2005) date stamp. What gives. I thought they quit making red heads in 1997. Has gray plastic handles... And it's been cooked on... the base of the lid has that discoloration the red get when it gets hot.

It's anybody's guess...

I suppose that Weber could've custom made it for the restaurant. Any chance that the vent & handles were replacement parts on an older kettle?

Suppose it's possible. The handles weren't MINT... At first I thought it was a red Master's Touch. Then I realized no thermo in the lid and gray plastic handles, has the ash catcher pan, like a Gold...

Guess I may have to go back tonight and take a picture... maybe eat at the same time.

My first grill was a Weber, as was my second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth. I still have the fourth, fifth and sixth one but on one of them one of the bottom dampers has come off and the others are stuck open, one has a bent lid (it got blown off the deck in very high winds) and the sixth one is brand new since buying a lid cost almost as much as a whole new grill. We don't leave it on the deck anymore when we aren't there (small cabin in the mtns)

I never owned anything other than a Weber before I got the Egg and I still need another Weber to go with the egg here. Of course I need an Egg to go with the Weber in VA too.:laugh:

Over the past month I've gotten rid of:

2 Weber 1000 gas grills
1 Genesis Silver A
1 Black Performer
3 Green 22"
1 Blue 22"
6 Red 22"
4 Black 22"
1 Gray 22"
1 SJP
1 SJS
2 Weber Redneck Firepits

Thats it! I quit! No mas!

:crazy: Somebody ban him, please. :fish:

Great thread!

A couple months ago, I found an 18.5" kettle in the trash across the street from my house when I was leaving for work. I think of that Weber as the gateway kettle.

A month or so later, I pick up a pre-1979 22.5" & Smokey Joe for $25.

Today, I'm picking up the red 22.5" for $15.

Probably going to buy a Cajun Bandit in the next week!

Attachments

• 1st.JPG
    1st.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 457
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 455
Back