Sale on corned beef wanna use for pastrami

I soak em for a few hours and coat em with coarse black pepper.

I gotta say, I never seen em made from top round.
For me, best are the brisket point.

I soak a store bough corned beef over night and change the water a couple of times to draw out the salt. Then I use a pastrami rub and smoke until the outside is the color I like, and foil with beer and finish until tender.

That is a good price! Yes soak it depending on how salty you want it to be. I do it for 12 or 16 hours and change thr water every 4 hours. If you like it more salty, then 4 or 8 hours may be your preference. Then I use Meatheads Katz Deli imitation pastrami rub and it is always scrumptious.

At $1.77/lb I would have bought more than 2 even though it is made from bottom round and not brisket.

I soak mine 8-12 hrs and do it like Ron. Use Thirdeye's rub
I got some corn beef too. What is the difference between red and grey corn beef. Is it just the food coloring

lol right

At $1.77/lb I would have bought more than 2 even though it is made from bottom round and not brisket.

I was going to, but my small freezer is already full with 12 lbs of pork chops, 12 lbs of ground beef, 6 lbs of chicken and other stuff lol. Prices at safeway in sacramento, ca are pretty scary so I bulk buy meat

For the soak-out time, size up the thickness of the roasts you have because some times I've seen them in slabs and other times they are chunky. Round roasts will be leaner than corned briskets, so plan on slicing thin and watching the grain.

qHaPoUc.jpg

....................... What is the difference between red and grey corn beef......................

From what I understand gray corned beef is the original version cured with salt and other seasonings. Red corned beef is a more modern version cured with the addition of sodium nitrate/nitrite.

Found a sale on brisket point corned beefs for $1.99. Never saw that before, had a limit of two so they're now in the freezer waiting for their turn to be turned into Pastrami...:grin:

I'll soak my corned beef for about 48 hours, changing water every 12 hours.

I rub it with a pastrami rub (lots of them out there) and smoke to about 160 IT.

Into a pressure cooker for 15 - 20 minutes with a natural release.

Chill, slice it on a slicer, and rock out on the sammiches! :-D

I would assume I don't need to brine em in the separate solution my pastrami kit comes with then? Just soak em then use the pastrami rub?

I go 24 hours change water 3 times, going to use pickling spices ground with a few other ingredients, $2.50 a lbs here bought 2.

I go 24 hours change water 3 times, going to use pickling spices ground with a few other ingredients, $2.50 a lbs here bought 2.

So, u bought a pre brined corned beef and are going to soak it then use a pastrami bine and then the regular pastrami rub?

Back