Just ordered my WSM...

W

wills2084

So I'm waiting for my WSM to get here and wondering what I should cook first. This is my first smoker so I need some pointers. Any good ones you all can share about this smoker? Thanks!

Congrats on the WSM. You'll love it. Try a dry run first to learn temp control and also to season the unit. Then try smoking something simple like chicken. Good Luck !!

You're going to freaking love that thing. Definatley check out the website mentioned above. I did chicken on my first cook, some of the best I've ever had. Pork butt is pretty forgiving to.

The Virtual weber bullet mentioned above is an excellent resource and is the reason I bought a WSM in the first place and have not regretted it since. Just make sure you don't use that matchlight in your profile :laugh:

Congratulations on the Weber Smokey Mountain...Harry Soo would be proud. Yeah well get to cooking asap...My first cook was Ribs and Tri Tip. Love using my WSM and i hope your cooks go great as well.....Peace

It's one super butt cooker. Don't put that off for long.

Congrats. I've had one for about 10 years and it's still my favorite to cook small projects with.

Thanks for the link to the site! Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time there

I had my WSM 22.5" delivered for Xmas (self present mod).

My advice: Read this board. Read the Virtual Weber bullet when you get overwhelmed here. Come back here when you're tiring of reading there.

Rinse and repeat every day for a few hours a day until your smoker arrives.

Don't forget to take pics. LOTS OF PICS.

Also don't forget to write down and document your cooks, your rub ingredients, your temps, the outside temps, etc. I find that this is very helpful now that I'm trying to mess with things and fine tune my own smoking. I try to keep all other things equal and only mess with one thing at a time.

I just got a WSM 18.5 and the first thing that I smoked was a 10 pound pork butt. I completely filled the charcoal pan with unlit kingsford charcoal, topped it with a half chimney of lit charcoal (minion method), filled the waterpan, put the meat on the top rack, covered it and 15 hours later I had the best pulled pork I've ever tasted.
Trust the WSM! Don't keep opening the lid or the fuel door. Get a digital meat probe to know the internal temp of the meat. TRUST THE WSM!!!

I just got a WSM 18.5 and the first thing that I smoked was a 10 pound pork butt. I completely filled the charcoal pan with unlit kingsford charcoal, topped it with a half chimney of lit charcoal (minion method), filled the waterpan, put the meat on the top rack, covered it and 15 hours later I had the best pulled pork I've ever tasted.
Trust the WSM! Don't keep opening the lid or the fuel door. Get a digital meat probe to know the internal temp of the meat. TRUST THE WSM!!!
It really is that easy. I would suggest a pork butt for your first smoke because they are so for giving. A spatchcocked chicken is also good but it requires more attention over a shorter period of time.
I would suggest a pork butt at 240 for practice with temp control. Then you can try a chicken at a higher temp without the pan.
That's just my opinion though (and my favorite food in the world is BBQ Nachos) and ymmv.
The WSM is a great smoking machine. I'm sure what ever you cook will turn out great.

Welcome to the madness- Just put a 7 pound butt on my WSM and now I'm headed back to bed. Maybe throw a fatty and some ABT's on when I wake. You made a great purchase with the WSM.

Back