MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #76
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I did check my thermo and it was off 17* to the low side. Problem solved by the turn of a screw.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #77
BigHam
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default white smoke

Okay- I have seen the white smoke = bitter.

What makes the white smoke or how do you deal with it? Is it too much wood, the charcoal not burned long enough???

Thanks

For Fun: 4ft Southern Yankee Rotisserie Trailer
BigHam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #78
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHam View Post
Okay- I have seen the white smoke = bitter.

What makes the white smoke or how do you deal with it? Is it too much wood, the charcoal not burned long enough???

Thanks
Lack of air for combustion. Open the air intake. The beauty of the offsets is that on a lot of them you can open the firebox lid and let the white stuff out before it gets to the smoke box. If you preheat your wood on top of the firebox it will ignite almost instantly when it hits the coals, lessening the white stuff.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #79
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

I know for me being very new to low and slow, I have just been trying to learn all I can. I have played around a little on my webber kettle with indirect heat and some wood chunks mixed in with my kingford. Seems to work ok but I think the cooking grate may be too close to the fuel on this small grill, do you guys think this could cause problems or is it not a big deal. I know temp in the cooking area is important and I can regulate that well but I'm more concerned about how close the meat is to the fuel.
RIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #80
ApronGuy
On the road to being a farker

One of my biggest mistakes was not giving enough time for a butt to cook. Sure, it was techincally done, but I hadn't given it enough time to tenderized. The result was pulled pork that didn't pull.

Also, a few weeks ago, I dropped my water pan into the charcoal pan. There was lots of cussing to be heard.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #81
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIX View Post
I know for me being very new to low and slow, I have just been trying to learn all I can. I have played around a little on my webber kettle with indirect heat and some wood chunks mixed in with my kingford. Seems to work ok but I think the cooking grate may be too close to the fuel on this small grill, do you guys think this could cause problems or is it not a big deal. I know temp in the cooking area is important and I can regulate that well but I'm more concerned about how close the meat is to the fuel.

rix, when your doing low and slow on a kettle, u need to 'offset' the fuel best you can. A small heap of coal on one side, climbing up the wall and your food on the far other side, or 2 smaller heaps on either side with your food in the middle. I always have a small foil water/drip mpan in the bottom too. It only takes about 20-30 briquettes and a chunk or 2 of wood to maintain the 250 degree range, so its easy to do it with a small heap on one side.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #82
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
rix, when your doing low and slow on a kettle, u need to 'offset' the fuel best you can. A small heap of coal on one side, climbing up the wall and your food on the far other side, or 2 smaller heaps on either side with your food in the middle. I always have a small foil water/drip mpan in the bottom too. It only takes about 20-30 briquettes and a chunk or 2 of wood to maintain the 250 degree range, so its easy to do it with a small heap on one side.

Alright so the food being close to the fuel is not an issue I guess. I was guessing that was the benefit of the WSM but maybe its the same thing except you can fit more meat on there. Thanks for the info.
RIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #83
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know if it has been addresed yet, but when I first started doing large amounts of meat at a time I had a problem with grease fires. (especially while doing pork butts). I now use a drip pan.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #84
Azinine
Take a breath!

It's been said but I'll reiterate a couple that most applied to me:

1) There is such a thing as too much smoke.
2) Only open the cooker when you have to. Tell anyone that wants to look that they'll have to wait an hour or two...

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #85
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Biggest "mistake" (read LIE) that I made was tellin' the wife that the expense of the mobile pit would be the end of the expenses associated with my "BBQ Hobby."

Several items later she KNEW I could not be trusted:

EZ-UP Awnings
Chimneys
Weed Burners
Prep Tables
Cutting Boards
Knives
more Knives
Remote Thermos
Instant Read Thermos
Ice Chests
Food Warmers
Trays
Tables
Rolls of Red Checkered Tablecloths
BBQ Books
A Gazillion Spices
Pots
Cast Iron Cookware
more Pots
more Cast Iron Cookware
Aprons
T-Shirts
Cords of Wood
My Collection of Pigs to set on Tables for Events
more Pigs
Lights
Generator
Water Jugs
Portable Sinks
Wash Tubs
Mops
Sauces
Tongs
Hooks
Spatulas
Beer Can Chicken Devices
Vacuum Sealer
Zero-Gravity Chair
Inflatable Mattress
Brethren Membership
Brethren Conversations at 3AM

I know there is more but you get the hint.

Tell her the truth. This hobby is going to eat up all of the kid's college money, bills aren't going to get paid before the wood supplier gets his cash, you're gonna smell like smoke most of the time, and blah, blah, blah.

And if'n she don't like it, well...

...I guess she ain't gonna like it!

Oh yeah, one other investment every hard-core BBQ Brethren MUST invest in:

A COMFORTABLE COUCH.

Ken (I know)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #86
leanza
Babbling Farker

Awesome thread. I been scribbling like mad. Many I've dealt with but I really appreciate the info about fire management. I've been trying to understand the principles of it and on one other sight I frequent they just were'nt able to provide the base of knowledge and experience as you all have. Im enjoying. Thanks.
leanza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #87
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Too much smoke
Opening the door too often
Putting on only ONE fattie
Not preparing the night before
Relying on time instead of temperature
Putting on too many different things at once

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #88
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

I had no idea about fire control

Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #89
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

Don't forget about how slick them rubber gloves are! Cooking in a comp on an asphalt parking lot not too long ago, I juggled a 14 pound brisket when it slipped like I was trying to hold onto one of those old water weenies. I had it, then I lost it several times. By the time I picked it up off of the parking lot, it look like I completely covered it with coarse ground sea salt. But wait, wifey went to the local Wal-Mart and bought a cheap flat and my first hot and fast was on the smoker about an hour later. I took 3rd place with that brisket. I dunked the one I dropped and scrubbed with clean water several times and gave it to my starving artist daughter and her roommate. They said it was the best brisket they had ever had. Mums the word on that one.

So, hang on tight when transferring brisket to wrap, pan or whatever.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #90
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Buying cheap equipment- you get what you pay for there is a difference between a good value and cheap.

Not using the right amount of fuel for the task at hand

having your unit setup improperly

Trying to cook difficult items like brisket before mastering your grill- start small and simple

Opening lid too much- if your lookin your not cookin

In the same vein as last one over tending- trying to adjust vents too much too often

Tags
Fire Control, First Time, Mistake, Tip