Greetings from Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacramentoHusker

Got Wood.
As you might guess from the name, I'm in Sacramento, and I'm a Nebraska Cornhusker alum. Since everyone knows that the "N" on the Nebraska helmet stands for "knowledge," I'll ask you all to go easy on me as I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. I got my start smoking meats by making venison jerky using an old Coleman propane smoker at the age of 12 or so, then graduated to more sophisticated meats/techniques when my dad picked up a New Braunfels two-chamber smoker. I've pretty well perfected tri-tip, ribs, chickens, and pulled pork on that particular piece of equipment (at least to my tastes), but I'm looking to branch out with a new piece of equipment.

I came across this board while I was searching for information on a recent purchase of mine - a Kamado BBQ/Smoker from, as far as I can tell, about 1978. I picked it up at an estate sale from a pair of sisters who were selling off their dad's stuff. No one had even nibbled at it over the course of the two days it had been for sale at a measly $50! After hemming and hawing over taking it off their hands (the only reason for the hemming and hawing was my wife's reaction to me talking about adding to the collection of 6 grills in the backyard), they dropped the price to $25 and I couldn't pass it up. Below are some clickable pictures:

The Kamado is in fantastic shape - no major cracks, one minor crack, all inner components, all the original literature, and just missing a couple of items. I'm looking for some specific information on restoring this Kamado (where to get the draft door, where to get a different, better draft top, and what brand/type of paint to use) and I'm wondering in which section I should post these questions. I have a good idea as to what I'd like to do with this thing, but I just need a little help with it. I'm painting it because it will be stored in an area exposed to weather and I don't think it would be a good idea to not have the ceramic protected from water.

Also, I'm looking for specific cooking techniques and recipes for use with this particular smoker. It works in a far different manner than anything I've used before, and I really need to work out the kinks with this thing (I charred a decent rack of St. Louis Style Ribs in my initial foray).

I spent a couple of days perusing the various Kamado threads and there is a bit of information missing - most importantly the specific brand and type of paint used for painting these ceramic pieces.

Here's a photo of the first successful run of the Kamado:

What I'm asking for in this post, though, is in which area should I post these questions about restoring the Kamado? I have a far more detailed post written up for that, which will detail all the questions I have listed thus far plus a few others, and give a bit more background on the acquisition and restoration process thus far.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to becoming part of the community here, and would appreciate any help anyone can pass along.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the Brethren. That is an amazing score. I'm on the lookout for one of those old beauties.

Welcome! I'm just up in Antelope, right in your backyard. That's a nice smoker you've got there!

-Rodney

Welcome aboard S H, enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do here. Great Score!

Welcome, SacramentoHusker, come on it, take your shoes off, and sit a spell.

Welcome from Indiana!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Post any questions about ANYTHING Q in "Q-Talk", whether about food, cookers, whatever. They'll get answered there for sure. NICE SCORE!!!:thumb:

Randy - You're right up Watt Avenue!
Neil - Will do.
BBQ Grail - Thanks for the info. I will!
frognot, SmokeJumper - I know! I can't believe how awesome this thing is.
bluetang, phesant, Rookie, BGBBQ, Wampus, Westexbbq - Thank you for the welcome.

I'll be posting my question soon. Thanks for the welcome, all, and I look forward to being a productive part of this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back