MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Default Weber Smokey Mountain vs PBC

If price were the same, which would you buy and why?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

WSM, because it seems more versatile to me. You can use it like a PBC, or the traditional “WSM way”. I’ve owned both, btw.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
TexaQ
On the road to being a farker

I'd pick WSM for cooking flexiblity, a domed lid, charcoal capacity, ease of internal access and ease of clean up. I do prefer to hang most proteins.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

WSM...

That is all...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

PBC. I had three WSM's and ended up selling all three after getting the PBC.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

I’ve never cooked on the PBC, but I’ve seen some amazing things come off those cookers from Breathren who swear by them. But with that said, I’m in the WSM camp. The Droid was my first smoker... so cutting my teeth and learning how to get the most out of that cooker has been a true journey. I love the flexibility, and with practice, the ease of use to turn out consistent, repeatable and tasty cooks.

Maybe I’d feel different if my first cooker was a PBC or a drum... but I’m really happy with The Droid, so I’m voting WSM.
[B]Current Corral:[/B] LSG VO 24” ([I]Li’l Herky[/I]); MAK Two-Star General ([I]Mando[/I]); PK360 with GrillGrates ([I]Galgadot[/I]); Vision Pro Kamado ([I]Punkinhead[/I]); WSM 22” ([I]The Droid[/I]); Weber Kettle ([I]Dory[/I]); Bull Angus ([I]Gasser[/I])
SMetroHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Depends. You want rock solid out of the box with expanded capacity to hang, or do you want to buy something you need to tweak and upgrade?

PBC comes out of the box with grate and hanging. 8 racks of ribs, 3-4 briskets, 8 chicken halves. No need for a PID. No vents to adjust or chase every cook. Set it once based on altitude. No door to upgrade or seal or make tighter. No water pan to empty or foil or fill with sand or clay heat sinks.

If you prefer to play with tweaking and adjust and pay extra for hanging racks. Then for sure get the WSM.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

WSM, can use with or without a water pan, doesnt NEED a PID, doesn't NEED gaskets, can hang anything you want, set the vents and go drink a beer, hardly any tweaking, easy to take apart and clean or dump ashes, and can usually be found gently used for 100 bucks,

But if you prefer to cook in a garbage can, then for sure, get a PBC...
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Pocchampion
Full Fledged Farker

I have both and prefer 22 WSM if could only have 1. The pbc is my go to for chicken and ribs and WSM is my brisket and pork butt cooker.

I prefer a world that allows me to have both. Super well price given their longevity and performance.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Another big difference is....do you like the taste of fat and juices burning on coals or not? For me, that’s a hard pass on bigger cuts like brisket and pork. You don’t HAVE to cook that way on a WSM, but the inverse doesn’t hold true. Matter of personal preference, of course.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #11
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the feedback. A twice used 22 WSM was on CL for cheap but I missed it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Both are Excellent. Cannot go wrong either way. I'm a WSM guy.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #13
Little Pig Barbeque
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jesse Robinson

I have both. I cook on both all of the time. If I could pick just one, it would no doubt be the WSM.

It virtually cooks identical to a PBC except you can dial in the temps low and slow or hot and fast. It can be ran like a UDS without the water pan or used as a water smoker with the pan. It has two cooking levels. You can buy a rib hanging rack and use it exactly like a PBC. It holds more coals and from my experience burns longer. I've had mine go 18 hours on a full load. Both are great, but if they are both the same price I think the WSM is better.

Out of the box, the PBC is as good as it's going to get. The WSM on the other hand, has more potential. More ways to cook, more accessories, temperature control etc...

Do what I did. Get both. I got both used on facebook for less than the price of one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Little Pig Barbeque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #14
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs View Post
WSM, can use with or without a water pan, doesnt NEED a PID, doesn't NEED gaskets, can hang anything you want, set the vents and go drink a beer, hardly any tweaking, easy to take apart and clean or dump ashes, and can usually be found gently used for 100 bucks,

But if you prefer to cook in a garbage can, then for sure, get a PBC...
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #15
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaQ View Post
I'd pick WSM for cooking flexiblity, a domed lid, charcoal capacity, ease of internal access and ease of clean up. I do prefer to hang most proteins.
SAME here
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote