MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
malaki
Knows what a fatty is.

Default fire bricks

going to get the smoke king deluxe tomorrow and need to know how many and what size fire bricks are neededor do you realy need them? i plan on doing most of the mods mentioned in the bandera 101 doc. and i cant get the bricks anywhere around here so i want to get everything in one trip and get er done!
malaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Graytwhyte
Knows what a fatty is.

Is Redmon northern or souther IL? I am in the middle near the U of I in Champaign-Urbana. If you find some good materials around here lemme know, cause I can't find nothin close by.
Graytwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
malaki
Knows what a fatty is.

i'm about 45 min. south of ya in edgar county.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Graytwhyte
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh I see. Always nice to meet a q'in neighbor.
Graytwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
malaki
Knows what a fatty is.

yes it is

Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I only have the bottom of my smoke box lined with firebricks, never bothered with the firebox. If ya cant find them, no big deal. More important to get the baffle and firegrate done.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Hoorenga
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you are going, or have just gone through some of the same decision making processes that I have. I am also very curious about the Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe. I was looking at the Bandera when I ran across it. It looks to be the exact same stove. Is that right? They have it listed at Costco.com for $399 including shipping. Is that a good price. Where did you buy yours? Wish I lived in Texas. All of the great smoker builders seem to be out that way. Any one know where I can get either the Bandera or the BSKD out here in Olympia, WA? I'm going to check with Home Depot tomorrow. They don't have any in stock but the Brinkman site lists them as a store that carries them. Maby I can get them to order me one.

Doug

It was a brave man who first ate an oyster.
Brinkman Stillwater Limited, Great Outdoors Vertical charcoal.
Hoorenga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 05:43 AM   #8
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have you tried a lumber and brickyard or home center? I would think Lowes or Home Depot would have them. They can usually be found at a fireplace store.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
biggyboy
Got Wood.

I was going to do the fire brick mod in my smoke box, unitl I saw the price of the F'in bricks. They were $4.95 each at my local hardware store :(

Glen
biggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 AM   #10
malaki
Knows what a fatty is.

hey hoorenga if you have a menards near buy they have them on sale for $199 until the 4th. havent been able to find a bandera around here so i'm going for the next best thing. going to get it today and just wanted to know how many bricks are needed. nobody has one set up for display so i can get the measurements.

and Neil i live in B.F.E. in the middle of corn feild and it a 45 min drive to get anything that you cant get at wallyworld. thats why i want to get it all in one trip. lol. well i got to go clear out the back of the OL's durango so i can haul this thing home! thats going to take a while. lmao

thanks for all the help guys!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
I only have the bottom of my smoke box lined with firebricks, never bothered with the firebox. If ya cant find them, no big deal. More important to get the baffle and firegrate done.
Them's good mods but fire box heat shields on sides & top will greatly consrve energy AND prolong firebox life. I've posted on this topic several times and some of it went into the files setion . Do a search to learn more.

PS: If you're ever this way, we got used fire bricks here. CHEAP. It's been discussed. Again, do a search to learn more.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaki
hey hoorenga if you have a menards near buy they have them on sale for $199 until the 4th. havent been able to find a bandera around here so i'm going for the next best thing. going to get it today and just wanted to know how many bricks are needed. nobody has one set up for display so i can get the measurements.

and Neil i live in B.F.E. in the middle of corn feild and it a 45 min drive to get anything that you cant get at wallyworld. thats why i want to get it all in one trip. lol. well i got to go clear out the back of the OL's durango so i can haul this thing home! thats going to take a while. lmao

thanks for all the help guys!
PM me your address. I can get fire bricks in South Bend for $1.45 ea. (last years price).

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #13
Neil

The fire bricks come in two thickness sizes, I use the thin ones and they work great in both the smoke chamber and the fire box. If you want I'll send them out UPS by the end of the week.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
malaki
Knows what a fatty is.

thanks for the offer Neil! but it would cost more to shipp them than their worth. i ran out of time saterday to look for them but i will get them sometime.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #15
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaki
thanks for the offer Neil! but it would cost more to shipp them than their worth. i ran out of time saterday to look for them but i will get them sometime.
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...ht=fire+bricks

There is only one place to get fire bricks and that is at a brick yard that make them. Many brick yards are in Denver and only one makes them. Any brick yard you call will tell you which yard makes them(look in your yellow pages, ask for splits-they are the ones shown in pics in link above-you need 16 to do the fire box and smoke chamber in the Dera they cost about $1.25 each).

Hard to find because they have a limited use because most homes are being built with metal gas fireplaces insted of Masonary. They cut real easy with a $4 to $5 masonary cutting blade on a radial arm or hand power circular saw. You want tight fits to keep heat in.

Three advantages:
1. Helps keep heat in fire box saving fuel cost .
2. They will help delay the fire fox bottom burn out.
3. Help stablize smoke chamber heat.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote