New Option for Fire Bricks

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have another option for fire bricks. I ordered some samples of soapstone for my kitchen counter project. It was $35 (including the shipping) and they sent me about 10 - 6"X6"X1" chunks of various soapstones.

I took about 6 of them that I was less than enthusiastic about and wrapped them in foil (probably did not need to do that) and put two in the first box and 4 in the cooking chamber. They work like a champ.

The brochure that came with the samples gave me the idea as they use soapstone to make masonry heaters. You burn a fire for 3 hours or so and the heaters radiate heat for another 20.

They also make cooking utensils (pizza stones, and even pots) out of them so I likely did not need to wrap them in foil. Figured it would make easier clean up though.

This was the site I got the samples from:
http://www.soapstones.com/

Sounds like a great idea... One question... Were/are they glazed? If so, I wouldn't use them any more due to the heavy metals (such as lead) that is often used in the glazing products.

One question... Were/are they glazed?

Nope. That is one of the cool things with soapstone. There is no glazing and even when installed there is no sealing, etc. The stone is non-porous and doesn't stain, etc. thus no need for sealing. All you do is let it darken naturally or speed that process up with a few oilings of food grade mineral oil.

Here are 3 shots of two of the soap stone samples. These are not the ones wrapped in foil and in the smoker of course - those are still hot right now - but imagine them wrapped in foil. :-D

Both:

soap1.JPG

Close up 1:
soap2.JPG

Close up 2:

soap3.JPG

that sounds like a really cool idea...Thanks for sharing.

Go to your nearest granite/marble countertop manufacturer...he will have pieces he probably will give you free. Sink cutouts can be 36x22 and they have no use for them

Go to your nearest granite/marble countertop manufacturer...he will have pieces he probably will give you free. Sink cutouts can be 36x22 and they have no use for them

Unfortunately soap stone is not very popular in my area so I had to order samples to consider for putting in our kitchen.

I would be cautious on getting granite cutoffs especially if it has been sealed, etc. Also, I know soap stone does real well in the heat, not sure about other stones.

Soap stone it what they use in alot of chemmical labs for tops. They were in my high school science labs.

Great stuff.

Soapstone makes for a great wood stove...they're know for being safer around
children....no matter how big/hot a fire...the surface only heats to 500F, and radiates for a long time.

Granite and Marble will explode!

If this is true, I am now wondering what type of stone a steakhouse in Christchurch NZ called the Stonegrill is using. They bring the stone out on a ceramic tray type think with a raw piece of meat on top sizzling away. You cut and cook each bite one at a time. Great way to eat. And they told me the stones are heated to 500 C which is 932 F.

Oh, and they told me the stones were granite. But maybe not. Here is a website with pics and the stone looks very similar to the soapstone posted on this thread. http://www.travelindex.co.nz/listing/Christchurch/Pubs-and-Clubs/289/

I would wager that the stones are soapstone. It is used quite often for cooking. Lots of brick pizza ovens, pizza stones, stone grills and even some pots are made out of soap stone. It is highly heat tolerant, non porous and food safe.

Looking at the stones in the picture, I would bet my first born that is soapstone. I have never seen a slab of granite that is that flat.

One hint would be the softness of the stone. Does it mark easily if you cut on it? Soapstone is a relatively soft stone and you can actually install it with basic woodworking power tools.

I noticed that the soapstone site does also sell firebricks... so you can but a batch if you dont want to mess with the little samples.

If this is true, I am now wondering what type of stone a steakhouse in Christchurch NZ called the Stonegrill is using. They bring the stone out on a ceramic tray type think with a raw piece of meat on top sizzling away. You cut and cook each bite one at a time. Great way to eat. And they told me the stones are heated to 500 C which is 932 F.

Obviously not granite or marble, although this is the first I have ever heard of this.

Back