• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Involvement

The current board ran on transparency. Where is an announcement why is everything in closed session and what is the special search committee? Is This current board is shrouded in secrecy and closed door action? Where is the transparency? Where is the communication? Where is the plan to fix the judge education system? After 10 years, I am already on the fence if I want to cook again. This may just push me over the edge....

Last edited:
July Agenda is posted

Questions that popped into my mind:

• What's Heath Hall's Status? He's no longer listed on the meeting attendees yet is still listed as CEO on the website.
  • There was a lot of discussion last year from East Coast teams about the difficulty of getting to the KCBS championships from both a weather and distance issue. The solutions seems to be "Lets move it even further away" (Dallas? really?)
  • The ToY discussion (allow backyard cooks to count for ToY). That was just,,,,wow

Membership down 247 from last month, that's interesting to me.

Also, I'm new to the KCBS/comp scene, but what is the major deal with having an assistant cook take place of the head cook if there is a conflict? Especially when the conflict is work, like the situation stated.

[*]What's Heath Hall's Status? He's no longer listed on the meeting attendees yet is still listed as CEO on the website.

This is a very good question. It still shows that the CEO report is due in Closed Session.

Another interesting topic was discussed in the rules committee. They discussed ideas about why contests and teams are disappearing and one idea discussed was dropping brisket entirely. :shocked:

This is a very good question. It still shows that the CEO report is due in Closed Session.

Another interesting topic was discussed in the rules committee. They discussed ideas about why contests and teams are disappearing and one idea discussed was dropping brisket entirely. :shocked:

I saw this too but didn't know if that was for the contests or just for the TOY points. To me it wouldn't be near as fun without the brisket as it seems to be the biggest challenge.

I saw this too but didn't know if that was for the contests or just for the TOY points. To me it wouldn't be near as fun without the brisket as it seems to be the biggest challenge.
I guess fixing what's actually broken is too much of a challenge

Membership down 247 from last month, that's interesting to me.

Also, I'm new to the KCBS/comp scene, but what is the major deal with having an assistant cook take place of the head cook if there is a conflict? Especially when the conflict is work, like the situation stated.

Let’s say Tim & I form a team. He cooks some I cook some, but our points both count towards the team as long as the comps aren’t on the same day. This would be a very unfair situation. We could do doubles on opposite ends of the planet and we’d never miss a weekend cooking, but we each could have plenty of time off.

On second thought, maybe they should change the rule.

Let’s say Tim & I form a team. He cooks some I cook some, but our points both count towards the team as long as the comps aren’t on the same day. This would be a very unfair situation. We could do doubles on opposite ends of the planet and we’d never miss a weekend cooking, but we each could have plenty of time off.

That makes sense and I guess I didn’t really think of it from that aspect. Thanks for the explanation for this newbie!!

Where in the rules does it say a head cook (or chief cook in the 2019 rules) has to be in attendance? I noticed that rules committee opined on this but I don't see anywhere in the rules that a head cook needs to be at the contest. Is this something in an advisory?

I don't disagree with a rule requiring the head cook be in attendance, for the reason stated above, but it seems odd to require it without it being stated in the rules.

Last edited:
Where in the rules does it say a head cook (or chief cook in the 2019 rules) has to be in attendance? I noticed that rules committee opined on this but I don't see anywhere in the rules that a head cook needs to be at the contest. Is this something in an advisory?

I went back over the rules sheet after reading your response and this is all I could find:

“Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one KCBS sanctioned contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.”

I definitely agree with Brads explanation, but I also agree with your statement about enforcing a rule that really isn’t written that way.

It came into play 9 or so years ago. The reasoning follows the logic Brad laid out.

Yep. It used to be a problem. Points/draws/qualifications follow the chief cook not necessarily the team. If he/she is not in attendance they don’t get credited to him/her.

I could have 2 head cooks for my team under the current rules, but all of the results would apply to the cook who served as the head cook at each contest.

I noticed this as well. :crazy: I know there are board members who know what the issue is (it's not brisket). Do we have a couple Board members that have more power than the others that can't get out of their own way? Wanna get people excited about competing again? Just fix the judging issues (btw - it's not a seating program problem). Require a re-certification at some level, set some basic rules for being a judge like "must have teeth, or required to wear dentures when judging". Start doing some of these things and with time, you might win back some teams that have left. The teams that these basic things hurt the most are the under the 10-15 contest teams, which represents the majority of the teams.

I don't disagree with a rule requiring the head cook be in attendance, for the reason stated above, but it seems odd to require it without it being stated in the rules.

I know there have been times when I had to work on Friday, and showed up late. Check in was done, my teammates know my KCBS number (though they have even called to ask before), and no one ever has come by to make sure I showed. Seems like this rule isn't enforced super thoroughly (or maybe it's because they know we're nobodies and aren't going to factor in to any points chase)

I noticed this as well. :crazy: I know there are board members who know what the issue is (it's not brisket). Do we have a couple Board members that have more power than the others that can't get out of their own way? Wanna get people excited about competing again? Just fix the judging issues (btw - it's not a seating program problem). Require a re-certification at some level, set some basic rules for being a judge like "must have teeth, or required to wear dentures when judging". Start doing some of these things and with time, you might win back some teams that have left. The teams that these basic things hurt the most are the under the 10-15 contest teams, which represents the majority of the teams.

These area all good points but doesn't address the top reason for less teams. Expenses. Comp BBQ is an expensive hobby. We haven't done many contests the last couple of years due to this. I love competing but it's difficult to drop $1000 a weekend 20 times a year. Not sure how KCBS could fix this, or if they should, but it's why so many folks are dropping out after the "BBQ Pitmasters" bump

I agree that expense is a deterrent to a lot of people. I just don't know how, realistically, to change it at this point. I love the guinea pig concept, but there are a lot of legit issues with making it "the way" and a lot of teams that want to bring their own meat in.

Maybe a set up where people can pick up their meat at a comp at a great price from a sponsor? Even then, that would probably lead to lower prize pools as you're taking someone who may have given cash as a sponsor and having them give discounts on products instead.

I don't know the answer, but judging is important, but cost is a major issue that keeps teams from doing any, or the guys doing 1-2 from doing 6-8.

These area all good points but doesn't address the top reason for less teams. Expenses. Comp BBQ is an expensive hobby. We haven't done many contests the last couple of years due to this. I love competing but it's difficult to drop $1000 a weekend 20 times a year. Not sure how KCBS could fix this, or if they should, but it's why so many folks are dropping out after the "BBQ Pitmasters" bump

I don't disagree with this. I know that is the most likely reason we saw the thought of dropping brisket as counting toward GC, since it is the most expensive category. It is definitely an expensive hobby, especially if you don't have multiple teammates that are helping with the costs.

Back