MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My opinion of sous vide steaks is that they can produce technically perfect results. And my "technically", I mean exactly the same doneness edge to edge and a great crust is easy to attain in a cast iron pan. You can make a very good steak with the SV method. However, I feel that while they can be technically perfect steaks, they lack some character that a wood or grill fired steak possesses. There are times for me the convenience factor outweighs the result from cooking that steak on a grill, but all else equal I prefer grilled beef over a fire.

I use my SV often, but 4 out of 5 times it's to reheat barbecue that I've previously cooked and vacuum sealed as opposed to cooking a piece of meat with it. It's worth having just for that function alone.

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #32
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
There's a large thread about this somewhere, worth a read.
Try a roast beef after a 24 hr bath!
Especially a tough lean cut.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #33
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

@rockinar If you're interested, there is a FB group called Exploring Sous Vide. (This is not a FB ad, I hate FB) Jason Logsdon does a webinar on sous vide I've read that's pretty good. But today he is doing a live Q&A on the FB page.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #34
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

My favorite use for it has been to ferment sausages. It has been great on that front.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #35
bbqwithsam
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : bbqwithsam

I totally agree with all the praise and criticisms everyone has given so far. I have a few recommendations:

On youtube, Sous Vide Everything is a wonderful experiment sous vide channel. I also really like watching Chef Steps.

In terms of internet content, you need to read up on Serious Eats. They have really wonderful comparisons of done-ness at each temperature for any given meat.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned fish. Salmon comes out more perfectly than anything I've ever had.

If I had to give one piece of advice it would be: don't stop experimenting until you find a killer dish.

There are so many options from breakfast food, to sides, to meat, to desserts that all come out great with enough experimentation.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #36
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can send it my way and force me to use it

Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #37
BBQ_MAFIA

We have an Anova and love it.

A big inexpensive Bottom Round is amazing after a long bath
and quick sear.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #38
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Love my Anova, my favorite cook is boneless skinless chicken breast with salt and pepper and a cold pat of butter then vac seal and into 145 degree bath for 2 hours, no need to sear is tender juicy and the flavor is amazing, it's what chicken breast should be.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #39
abracc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quick question...I know I'm getting one for xmas (I ordered it)...when vacuum sealing, you don't really need to take all the air out of the bag, do you? Since if you have potential liquid in the bag, it would get sucked up into the sealer itself. I know you'd want to get as much air out so it doesn't float, but do you need to completely evacuate the air? Thanks!!
abracc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #40
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

You don't need to vacuum seal, just get a heavy duty freezer bag, add your protein, seasonings and fat/marinade then slowly lower the bag into your water sealing after your protein goes under water and it will squeeze out 99% of the air. I would vacuum seal if you were going to bag your protein and freeze for use later.

Another tip - You can start with hot water in your pot, container, cooler, etc. I can't believe how many people bitch about their wand not getting up to temp quickly, just start with hot water! The water is just a medium for heat.

Common sense...…...where have you gone....
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #41
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Tried some top sirloins for the family. It was a total failure. I went to put some crust on them on the grill and burned the total s**t out of them, My bad. First time I ever hear "I dont like the steak", and I agreed.

I'll keep trying.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #42
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I like mine. It's a useful tool. I don't use it as much as I'd like to...but I'm only home to cook for 2 days most weeks. If I had more room, I'd keep a station setup with it all the time-because of all of the leftover comments.

I did buy a second cheap sous vide this weekend, since I needed to reheat 60lbs of pulled pork. The cheap one had a bigger motor and was much faster at getting up to temp than my Anova-but it was LOUD. I returned it as fast as I possibly could. Anova might be a bit slower, but 5 more minutes of pre-heat time isn't that big of a deal to me.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #43
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
My opinion of sous vide steaks is that they can produce technically perfect results. And my "technically", I mean exactly the same doneness edge to edge and a great crust is easy to attain in a cast iron pan. You can make a very good steak with the SV method. However, I feel that while they can be technically perfect steaks, they lack some character that a wood or grill fired steak possesses. There are times for me the convenience factor outweighs the result from cooking that steak on a grill, but all else equal I prefer grilled beef over a fire.

I use my SV often, but 4 out of 5 times it's to reheat barbecue that I've previously cooked and vacuum sealed as opposed to cooking a piece of meat with it. It's worth having just for that function alone.

That problem is simple enough to solve. Fire up a Weber or grill of choice and have it ready to sear when it's time for the steak to come out of the bag.

Couple of weeks ago, my brother stopped by and asked me if I'd cook lunch for people in his office the next day. It was 23 1.5in NY Strips. I vac packed them all and they went in the fridge. Next morning, I pulled out a big tote, filled it 3/4 full of water and then started up both of my Anova's. Grabbed all 23 strips and dropped them in. Then I kicked back and diddled around. After the steaks had been in for about 1 1/2 hours, I filled up and started 2 chimneys. When they were ready, I dumped them in one of my Ranch Kettles. Pulled all the bags and put them in a buss tub. Sliced them open, laid the steaks on half pans, seasoned then onto the grill for 2-3 mins per side.

It was more "work" to be sure, bagging, unbagging, moving in and out of the water, but it was a much easier overall. All the steaks came out perfectly cooked as well with a nice, consistent edge to edge color.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #44
Craigw99
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I'm against the idea of pre boiling my meat,
Then don't turn it up over 212F

Boom, problem solved.
Craigw99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #45
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
That problem is simple enough to solve. Fire up a Weber or grill of choice and have it ready to sear when it's time for the steak to come out of the bag.
If I'm going to the trouble of firing up a grill then that's where the steak is getting cooked. I've grilled enough steaks that I can usually get about as technically correct results on the grill as SV + cast iron. SV is a good alternative when firing up the grill is not feasible for whatever reason but I dont enjoy the results quite as much as a grilled over fire steak.

Last edited by sudsandswine; 12-19-2018 at 06:38 AM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote