Paring Knife recommendations?

Hands down get one that fits your hand. Fine work like this will benefit from a comfy handle.

Sharpening is somewhat insignificant in that you touch up the blade briefly before returning it to the block so you're never dealing with trying to resharpen a dull blade.

My .02

Small petty knives like that make great parers. Tojiro may be on the lower end of fine Japanese knife making companies, but they are a great way to get into it...I have some!

The biggest issue with Japanese steel is that most folks ruin them the first time they try to sharpen the edge. They turn them into every other knife they have in the drawer...if they don't take the care to sharpen them to their original angles or polish the edge as they should be.

VG-10 is good steel...and popular with many higher end knife makers these days. My Tojiro knives are cored with R2 powdered steel.

I recently bought a couple of Dalstrong knives. I got the Gladiator series because I didn't want to spend the monies for the Shogun line. I think they are pretty nifty.

I also recently got a Dalstrong (Gladiator series Nakiri)
I must say, for the price I’m impressed. Compares favorably to my Henkel’s four star set.

VR,
Harold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One thing I do when choosing a paring knife is try it in the positions I'll be using it. I used to prep a lot of veggie trays for banquets, and a comfortable handle when making 100's of carrot sticks makes a lot of difference, plus there is less chance of cutting yourself.

I prefer the comfort and feel of my 4" Rapala soft grip fillet knife. Vs the many paring knifes I have. For peeling, precision carving etc. But I also do alot of filleting and thin slicing. Most paring knifes don't have finger stops.

Between my wife and I, my paring knives take some abuse......cough.......wife. :-D

I have a couple of Wusthofs for years now that soldier on with resharpening.

For every day meat trimming, I really like the Rapalas. They're tough, razor sharp, and if you beat the snot out of them, they're not painful to replace. They are my go-to BBQ trimming knives.

Back