MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #961
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's some great looking grub, GO PRIZED PIG!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #962
tb80
Take a breath!

Congrats on the opening.
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #963
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #964
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Long day. Well, that's an understatement. I'll try to post an update tomorrow. What a crazy and amazing day.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #965
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Actually, screw it. I'm exhausted, but at the same time so wired I can't sleep.

Inspections went without a hitch. Just a couple minor things to address in the kitchen, but mostly just comments about how clean and efficient it's set up. Mechanical inspector finally came and we smoothed things over, and everything turned out well there too.

Unfortunately, our stock of meat was a bit low because our next delivery isn't until Friday morning. That meant we ran out of brisket for lunch at around 12:30, and brisket didn't last long through dinner either. Brisket was the biggest surprise. This is a ribs and tips area, so I figured those would sell the best. But EVERYONE wanted brisket it seemed like. Those who got it loved it. Those who missed out, well, they got something else and loved that too.

But not everything was good. Lunch service went quite well, but at around 4pm things started to unravel. Ribs were running a little behind schedule, so the early birds couldn't get ribs yet. Then one of my cooks pulled a brisket while I was out making a deposit and getting change, but he pulled it at 185. Luckily he only served one person before I got back and caught it. But pulling it early then set back the finish time even further, which put us in the weeds pretty bad by 5.

Because of the setback on finishing times, it resulted in opening the smoker WAY too often from about 3-5, and that is what killed us. All that opening and closing of the doors meant nothing was getting cooked. We ended up having chicken halves still at only 145 even after three hours when the lunch chicken only took 90 minutes.

So, I shut it down at around 6:40. Stopped taking orders, tried to get everything out that was on the line, and because of a few mixups had to refund a few customers. Not ideal, and we did still have some meat in the smoker we could sell, I flat out told customers that I wasn't going to serve them something that was only 90%. Most understood, and a few were even thankful that I'm committed to quality.

Some tensions emerged among staff, but that's to be expected with the long hours, chaos, and stress of a day like today. But in our morning meeting we do have a few things to address, especially when it comes to the tickets. But that's a relatively easy fix and something that will improve with practice.

But overall, just talking with customers, watching facebook, and getting feedback from staff about what they were hearing, it was nothing short of praise. Had one brisket sandwich come back because it was "cold" but after making another one, the lady was like OMG this is the best thing ever!

And the now award-winning chili was a huge hit. We decided to start giving out some small 2 oz samples and that helped a lot. People then started coming back to the counter after eating their meal so that they could buy bowls of chili to take home. My wife stopped in after work and she secretly spied on diners while wandering through the dining room and she said she heard one guy sitting alone in the corner practically moaning and talking to himself about how great the chili was. I love it!

Anyway, I still have a lot of numbers to crunch, but I figure some of you are kind of wondering about the financials, so I can give you some rough numbers I have.

Basically, even though our grand opening was announced just an hour or so before we actually opened, had a winter storm that left some roads impassable, the turnout was way higher than expected. We also had to close down about two hours early and give a few refunds due to running out of food. But that being said, we still did about 100 covers for gross sales of about $1,500. Not bad for a 38 seat restaurant in the middle of nowhere.

To give you an idea, in all of my projections I spent nearly two years putting together, I had my best day of the week only doing 60 covers a day for around $900 in sales. I know today's numbers may not be consistent going forward, but it's very encouraging nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm still in a bit of a state of shock. After waiting for this day for so long, and going through so many setbacks, it still kind of feels like a dream. But, no rest for the weary. 5:30 am is coming soon and it's only going to be bigger and better tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the support. Without having you guys as an outlet, I may have completely lost it or given up entirely.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #966
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Although there were a few hiccups, it sounds like an excellent first day of operations. By this weekend, I'm sure things will be running much smoother.

By the way, food looked great. You should be very proud of all you have accomplished already!

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #967
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

This is great news!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #968
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like it went as well as one might expect on opening day...congrats!!!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #969
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Way to go Jeremy, the wife and I will be down soon---weather permitting!!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 AM   #970
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Thanks for all of the info (the good and the bad) Jeremy!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #971
insaneh
Full Fledged Farker

Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #972
Guando
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on the opening! Sounds like a crazy but satisfying day. Much more to do but a major hurdle crossed. Congrats again.
Guando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #973
Smoking Pill Doc
Knows what a fatty is.

congrats! Glad you finally made it through all the struggles!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #974
peeps

Time to make the donuts.....I mean delicious Q! First Friday should be a hoot! Best of luck!!!!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #975
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

great to hear

they are forecasting whiteout conditions his side of the state today. Hope all will be well
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->