MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
London BBQer
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Weber OTG 2013 thermometer, and mods to old OTG

Hi All,

Been a long time since I posted on here, but I just wanted to thank everyone who does post up results and techniques. Here in England there are so many people who can't be bothered to learn how to do BBQ properly and just fire up that gas canister. My ribs, chicken and burgers are now famous locally, thanks to all the info I have gleaned from these forums.

Anyways, just been given a replacement OTG 22.5" 2013 model due to rust through on my current model (had to push a little, but Weber made good). Can't wait for it to arrive on Monday!

Just a quick question, how accurate are the stock thermometers? I know the previous ones havent been that great, but thinking I could take the Tel-Tru I ordered for the old 22.5" and see if it fits the new hole. I've forgotten the model of mine, but it is very accurate for dome temps.

Also, being in the UK and hence the lack of mod companies, is there a way to modify the old 22.5" to become more like a WSM/UDS? Or is it really a case of getting a built attachment from someone like the Cajun Bandit - only trouble is the cost of international shipping!

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
London BBQer

Anyone?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

I can't say, the thermometer has only come with the OTG recently, mine doesn't have one. My guess is it's probably not something you'd use to give you accurate temps but should give you a ballpark temp.

Cajun Bandit is bad enough on their shipping rates domestically, international shipping I'm sure would be cost prohibitive.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't speak for the thermometer being accurate or not as I dont have one but weber sent me a replacement lid earlier this year for my otg its a 2013 lid and does not have the therm in it so the one they send you may not have it either

Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I have four Weber factory thermometers on various grills. Three of them were spot on when tested and one measured almost 20 degree too low. It is really hit or miss with any of them. The only way to know is to test them and even then you are only normally confirming them against one particular temperature. I personally don't worry too much about it. For high temp grilling I only use them as an approximate measure and to track if my fire is maintaining temp. For BBQ, I am normally using a digital along with the mounted thermometer. In that case, it is only a backup as I depend upon the digital to track my actual temps.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
colin.p
Found some matches.

For the first hour or so, I found that the dome therm was quite aways off from the grate therm. However, after that, they both read fairly close together. It's as close as I need it to be.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
London BBQer

Great advice.

Thanks guys. I think I'll leave it as is for now then and see how it goes.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
miller4eyes

I have no idea about there thermometers, but good to see an English person in the brethren hopefully more will follow and start bbqing better
miller4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You could cut the center section out of a 55 gallon drum and use that to make a WSM like rig.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
London BBQer

I've been toying with the idea of a UDS for a long time. The Weber lid should fit perfectly too.

Ah, decisions, decisions. I've got enough projects to do that my other half would probably have a fit if I prioritised the UDS!!

Need to cook up some more ribs, that'll let her know what she is missing without a big UDS!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Bobby R
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
You could cut the center section out of a 55 gallon drum and use that to make a WSM like rig.
This was like a DUH Moment for me. I don't know why I never thought about that. Gump! You are a GD genius.
This will be my next project!
Bobby R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

What about a rotisserie ring or KettlePizza doing double duty as a WSM emulator? I was thinking of adding a rotisserie to my KettlePizza and just wrapping the hole with foil.