• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lodge cast iron. Need some advice.

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Purchasing advise that is...

I've been wanting to get some cast iron to take me back to by Boy Scout days. I'm pretty much set on getting Lodge as I don't want to take the time to find something older that wasn't really used. Plus I want to start from scratch. I want to know what was cooked in my cast iron as I'm using it, so new is the way I'm gonna go.

My question is what do you think is a good set to start with. I don't need anything large to start with so I've been considering picking up these two pieces from Amazon to start out...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Pre-Seasoned-Cooker-10-25-inch/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=pd_sim_k_3"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker, 10.25-inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Casserole-Skillet-5-Quart/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet Cover, 5-Quart: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I like both of these for the combos of skillet/oven and the prices on both are great. Would be nothing to pick up both at the same time. I like the sizes too since I would be using these mostly to cook sides in and still fit on the kettle or drum with out taking too much space. I figure if I want to I can always buy a 12" skillet or a larger oven if down the road I find that the two above start shrinking.

Whatdya think? Any issues with Lodge quality I should know about?

Last edited:
I would get the dutch oven combo... and stick with that to ensure you like the cast iron gig

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would get the dutch oven combo... and stick with that to ensure you like the cast iron gig

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ohhhh I already know I love it. Cooked on it every camp out while in the scouts and just never got around to buying my own CI. We did everything from pancakes to burgers to dump cake in the ovens.

I've had the itch ever since and I'm now thinking about scratching it..

My wife and I are big fans of Lodge. All our frying pans and Dutch ovens are lodge except one. The only problem I ever had was cajuning steaks on a coleman gas camping stove. I would heat a 12 inch skillet as hot as I could get it an warped one after multiple times. Now it's our deer camp skillet.

MMmmm Boy scout Dutch oven Tater Tot Casserole. Thats what im talking about!

I picked this up literally a week ago. It actually is a lot larger than the pic. My thoughts were exactly like yours and I wanted a new one. So far I managed to cook a pot roast meal and bake bread. Food came out excellent so far. This is the deep 12" DO with 8 qt capacity. I got the camp oven because it's versatile and good enough for my family and as a tester. I'm def going to add on more CI cookware from Lodge and I'm already eyeing the 14" deep 10qt oven.:eyebrows: Quality is awesome. I was torn between the Chinese made Camp Chef 14" 10 qt oven but I went with Lodge because its made in USA and quality is superb. Glad I went with Lodge. You won't be disappointed.

20130226_211902.jpg

I've got a Lodge skillet, enameled dutch oven, and camp stove. I love them, and the quality is excellent.

Good Deal ..Stick with made in USA !
I bought a set of CI from Sportsmans whse and it was not seasoned , I oiled it and cooked it in the oven and it never would season ..but it did smell funny then I did research AFTEr and it was MFg in China and I threw it away because seriously who knows what xtras you may be getting . Lodge all the way !.. The Lodge Enameled ( colored ) Dutch ovens they sell in the grocery stores are made In CHINA.. Just check it says where its made.

The lodge CI painini press looks really good, and I think someone on here used them to make smash burgers as well.

I prefer the type that will allow coals to be stacked on top.

I have camp ovens but also have a set I picked up from lodge outlet for $50 containing 10"DO 10skilletand 6"skillet.

Just a thought, the deeper your pot is the more coals it takes on top to bake with. My shallower dutch ovens are my go to's for making a pizza or a cake, but I use my deeper ones for making stews or beans or soups while out camping. Also, don't be scared of used cast iron, i have a skillet that was originally my great grandmothers, and it is by far the best of my collection, you couldn't get something to stick to it if you wanted to.

I have 4 Lodge DO's and 4 skillets. Excellent quality and as mentioned, MADE IN THE USA!

I am looking at buying the LCC3 myself - it seems just the right size for what I want to do. The dutch oven combo looks good but I just just don't want to deal with that size.

I prefer the type that will allow coals to be stacked on top.
Those are the camp Dutch ovens. They have a ridge to keep the coals and ash from falling into your food when you peek. They also have feet so they don't crush any coals that you set them on.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=Lodge+Logic+Camp+Dutch+Oven"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic Camp Dutch Oven: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

(If that link doesn't work, just search Amazon for "Lodge Logic Camp Dutch Oven.")

If you're really planning on camp cookery (vs. putting the DO in a Weber kettle or the oven) this is what you want.

I wouldn't worry about used. Just put it in a hot camp fire (and allow to cool slowly) or run it through the self cleaning cycle in your oven and any residue and seasoning will be burned off.

An interesting article on seasoning CI.

Seems to me you have to decide which is more important: the handle on the skillet... or the larger capacity of the other one.

Back