Contest Results Nevada Kiwanis Club BBQ Contest

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The official list isn't in yet on the website but it was quite the brethren fest. Smokehouse 72, Holy & Oly, Spanky & the Meat mafia, Dirty Pig.
And best of all Team Buster Dog had leg cramps from all the walkin they did, Congratulations to the Grand Champs!!
The extended standing O was so perfect it brought a tear to most.

If I missed anybody sorry will post full list when it is up i'm just working off memory
Ed.

The announcement for GC - when Buster Dog was officially announced the winner - was the best moment I have had in BBQ. Standing ovation and lots of cheering and tears (including my own) made for one heck of a memory!

Awesome ending to a tough week for the Rod, Dawn, and David...really wish we had been there for that!

Thanks everyone. It was a surreal and humbling moment to say the least.

Usually we are a pretty social team out and about and by Friday night a few people were wondering about us. I spent the entire Friday in the trailer. Thursday I had two big painful test and somehow thought I would bounce back again like I was 20.

By the time awards were starting word started passing the I had been diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was all I could do to stand for five minutes, help Dawn with a task then sit back down. When they started calling chicken I had no idea because this was the first contest I didn't taste anything (except brisket). When they called first in chicken I was so proud of my wife for all of her work. Had it ended there that would have been rewarding enough. Bu then we got 3rd in ribs, 10th in pork and 2nd in brisket. Still not convinced we won because Meadow Valley put up a 180 in pork.

When they announced the top 10 and called Meadow Valley for Reserve I lost it. Given the situation, team work, etc it was just like out of Hollywood. And one of the best parts...The people. It seemed everyone who was jammed into that little community room gave the longest ovation, gave us all hugs, their well wishes, support, etc and for that I thank them. The BBQ community is a great group. Maybe the greatest there is.

One final thing. Saturday a guy said he was surprised I was out doing the contest. My reply was without BBQ I have no passion. Nothing to look forward to. If I give up BBQ for cancer then cancer has won.

Congrats buster dog, I wish I would have been there!
My prayers go out for you and your family

Congrats to the rest of the brethren that walked!!!

Congrats again Rod!! It was truly a beautiful way to end a contest. Christy and I wish you all the luck and will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Congrats to all the teams who walked and thanks for being patient with me! Here are the official results:

GC - Buster Dog BBQ
RGC - Meadow Valley BBQ
3rd - Holy & Olys BBQ
4th - Iowa Outlaws BBQ
5th - 4 Mile Smokin' Crew
6th - Spanky & the Meat Mafia
7th - Swine Assassins
8th - Smokin' Bonz BBQ
9th - Iowa State Grill Team
10th - Down Home Cookin' & BBQ Co.

Chicken
1st - Buster Dog BBQ
2nd - Down Home Cookin' & BBQ Co.
3rd - Dirty Pig BBQ
4th - Meadow Valley BBQ
5th - Holy & Olys BBQ
6th - Andy's BBQ
7th - Dig In Cookers
8th - Smokin' Bandits BBQ
9th - Pork County BBQ
10th - 4 Mile Smokin' Crew

Ribs
1st - Spanky & the Meat Mafia
2nd - Iowa State Grill Team
3rd - Buster Dog BBQ
4th - Swine Assassins
5th - Pork County BBQ
6th - Smokin' Bonz BBQ
7th - Iowa Outlaws BBQ
8th - Smokehouse 72
9th - Meadow Valley BBQ
10th - 4 Mile Smokin' Crew

Pork
1st - Meadow Valley BBQ (*180*)
2nd - Holy & Olys BBQ
3rd - Smokehouse 72
4th - Iowa State Grill Team
5th - Sixth Street BBQ
6th - Iowa Outlaws BBQ
7th - 4 Mile Smokin' Crew
8th - "Q" N 4 Fun
9th - Dig In Cookers
10th - Buster Dog BBQ

Brisket
1st - Iowa Outlaws BBQ
2nd - Buster Dog BBQ
3rd - 4 Mile Smokin' Crew
4th - Holy & Olys BBQ
5th - Dig In Cookers
6th - Andys BBQ
7th - WoodFellas BBQ
8th - Smokin' Bonz BBQ
9th - T A Que
10th - Meadow Valley BBQ

Dessert - Pork County BBQ

People's Choice ABTs - Hooligan's BBQ

Thanks Kenna for posting the results. It was my first trip to Nevada and we had a great time and you did a very good job. Nevada is on my list for Team HART BURNS one cook next year.
Ed

great contest and a great win by Dawn, David and the Rod assist. Dawn stopped by many times to relax with us. It was always a short relax period but I'm sure it helped her clear her mind a bit.

Buster Dog, Meadow valley tops the list but many teams got multiple calls. Smokehouse 72, 4 Mile smokers, spanky and the meat mafia, smokin bones bbq, Andys BBQ, Pork county BBq, iowa state grill team, and iowa outlaws all received multiple calls. Tough group with all those guys!

Great job to Kenna Jo for putting together this contest. It was well run i thought.

Couldn't be happier for Dawn, Rod and David!! Also congrats to all brethren who heard their name!

Awesome job Dawn and support crew!!!! Great showing by Brethern and Iowa teams. Rod, exactly 4 years ago I was diagnosed. If you want to talk about anything, give me a call. Dawn, if you want a spouse's perspective, my wife is also willing to talk. Take care bro.

Back