Water Pan Questions (or is it a Can of Worms?)

A

atz413

Hi All,

I've been reading a lot on the forum about water pans and I can't get my head straight about them. I also have what must be the dumbest question:

I have a SFB on my rig. Does the water pan go in the smoke box or in the SFB? (I said it was dumb, but I know nothing!) :redface:

If it's in the smoke box, should I put it on the side near the SFB or the other side? Should I put it on the cooking grate or down below the grate?

I realize that I may be opening up a can of worms, but I don't want to put them in the water pan, do I? :crazy: (just kidding)

I DO intend to put a liquid in the water pan, BTW.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
The water pan should be located in the Smoke box with the meat. Generally they are located below grate level and close to the heat source.

I prefer to add liquid to mine as it not only creates a moist environment for the meat but can also add a layer of flavor.

Get a large aluminum pan and put it in the smokebox under the grate that the food will be on. I recommend starting out with hot, or even warm water, so that it doesn't bring down the temps in your smoker and so that it doesn't take forever to get your temps up. Make sure you fill the pan because the water evaporates pretty quickly and I'm sure you don't want to have to refill it in the middle of a smoke. You can fill the pan with anything you think might give off a good flavor. I've heard people use slices of apple, onion, etc.

In my cookers, the steam from the water in the water pan acts like a convection oven and moves the air around in the smoke chamber to deliver a constant temp. from back to front.

When I used an offset, I would put a water pan directly under the cooking grate and close to the SFB. I put onions and stuff in it for a long time. Then, one time I didn't and I didn't taste a bit of difference. The only thing I did put in the water pan that seemed to make a difference was bourbon.

Go ahead and try the water pan to get it out of your system. :p As others have pointed out, the water pan goes in the smoke chamber near the firebox with hot liquid in it to start out.

I've cooked on my CG Outlaw with a water pan and without and found that I get just as good results without it. I found that a diffuser is more important in the CG than a water pan.

Keep a cooking journal.

Not only should you try with & without a water pan, but keep notes on every rub and injection you use. Also note temps and times.

The answer my friend, is blowing in the ... smoke.

Hey, that didnt rhyme.

Last edited:
I've never used worms in the water pans on my WSMs so I can't help you there. But I have found using water on them to be more trouble than it's worth. Instead I use a terra cotta planter base.

Thanks to all for helping me to clear up a "newbie" mystery for me. I'll be using just plain old H2O to begin with, and because I'm a wuss who's afraid of drying out whatever I cook...

I have, however, on another website, seen the recommendation to put the water pan in the firebox. Any comments on this? My thought is that it would evaporate the water really quick, so that was part of the reason for my posting this in the first place.

I'm hoping to smoke my first baby backs this weekend, if I can convince my fiancee to let me out of the house! :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for helping me to clear up a "newbie" mystery for me. I'll be using just plain old H2O to begin with, and because I'm a wuss who's afraid of drying out whatever I cook...

I have, however, on another website, seen the recommendation to put the water pan in the firebox. Any comments on this? My thought is that it would evaporate the water really quick, so that was part of the reason for my posting this in the first place.

I'm hoping to smoke my first baby backs this weekend, if I can convince my fiancee to let me out of the house! :roll:
I guess if you were going to boil food in the water pan it would be OK to put it in the fire box. Don't know any other reason to put it there. You actually can boil something in it when it's in the firebox also (potatoes, veges?). As all have said, I to have used water and not used it. Don't know if there is much difference in an offset. In my ECB I think it really helps to control the temps and to add moisture. Try adding different flavors and see for yourself. Keep the Q journal - great idea when you're starting out. After you let your fiance taste those baby backs she'll let you out more often!

Back