Square UDS? out of aluminum?

atvottawa

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Could "UDS" be made with a square box? I found a guy willing to sell aluminum fuel storage tanks 2 of them 106 gallons each for $50 bucks for the pair. Just seems easier to use than a drum?

Burn the crap out of it, make some grills and fire container, vent it top and bottom and you got yourself a decent smoker.

Why not? But its not a UDS then. How about USS, Ugly Square Smoker. :becky:

Might be risky, getting them hot enough to burn out the fuel, you may end up burning the tank.

Hey bud,

I don't know your skills but welding aluminum is a little tricky the easiest way for me is to tig it but the cheapest (i.e. equipment) is probably mig. Anyhow it can be done out of aluminum no problem, but should it be done is what you should ask your self. Aluminum will heat up the shell much quicker that steel and it dissipates heat much quicker so you will loose temp. On a better note those tanks might be worth more as scrap so you might make a few bucks. Hope that helps

Kris,

I can't weld aluminum, steel no problem. He is selling for scrap, says they are pretty heavy. Maybe I will just wait and get a drum...

Hey bud,

I don't know your skills but welding aluminum is a little tricky the easiest way for me is to tig it but the cheapest (i.e. equipment) is probably mig. Anyhow it can be done out of aluminum no problem, but should it be done is what you should ask your self. Aluminum will heat up the shell much quicker that steel and it dissipates heat much quicker so you will loose temp. On a better note those tanks might be worth more as scrap so you might make a few bucks. Hope that helps

Kris,

+1, aluminum is noted for having very high emissivity, which is why it is extremely popular as a heat sink material. I'd have to imagine that cooking on an aluminum shell would be a lot like cooking with the lid open (ok maybe not quite :p).

Oh well, thanks guys. I will have to figure another way to make one. Look for a steel one.

I got an electric hotwater tank that could become one!

I dont know... I probably wouldn't pass up an offer like that. There's always *something* you could do with them. Maybe not a faux UDS, but if you were willing to cut one up and invest in some mineral wool insulation, you could ma... :tape:

I dont know... I probably wouldn't pass up an offer like that. There's always *something* you could do with them. Maybe not a faux UDS, but if you were willing to cut one up and invest in some mineral wool insulation, you could ma... :tape:

i think i was right there with you, i read the word UDS, but my brain was already going in another direction.:thumb:

Back