Spatched Cranberry Butz

pahutchens

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last week was a fail for my cooking plans. I finally was able to get back to the chicken I had been thinking about.
I took two 4.5 lb birds and spatched open. A nice generous spray of EVO and liberally dusted with Simply Marvelous Pecan rub.
Into the drum at 300 with some Pecan chunks.
I had read some threads saying a spatcocked bird would take about 1.25 hours at that temp. I ended up going 2.25 hours. Longer than I thought much like last week :tsk: that ended in the oven.
15 minutes before pulling I layered on some Big Butz Cranberry sauce and brought the temps to 325 to set it.
The chicken was incredibly moist, and the sauce was the perfect finish and complement to the rub.
I didn't realize how big the breasts were until I carved it so that may have been some of my issue. I will examine the breasts more closely in the future.:shock:

Last edited:
Looks good. Did you check your thermos?

Beautiful bird. We think alike - I did breasts yesterday with the same rub and Some BigButz Hot sauce.
The extra size in the breasts would have been a pleasant surprise for me.
Off to the penalty box...

Beautiful looking birds. Close examination of the breasts is a must!:biggrin:

Looks good. Did you check your thermos?
Yep re-calibrated them last week. Not sure what to think.
Wondering if I should start with more hot coals so I'm fighting temps down instead of up. I had the ball valve and one port completely open to keep the 300

Yep re-calibrated them last week. Not sure what to think.
Wondering if I should start with more hot coals so I'm fighting temps down instead of up. I had the ball valve and one port completely open to keep the 300

That's how my UDS runs. 1/2 of a lit chimney on top of a mound of unlit coals works like this: 2 closed, 1 open = 250*, 1.5 open = 300*, 2 open = 350*, 2.5 open = 400*, all 3 open = ~500*

If I need to bump up the temps more than that, I just use a full lit chimbley to get 'er started.

That's how my UDS runs. 1/2 of a lit chimney on top of a mound of unlit coals works like this: 2 closed, 1 open = 250*, 1.5 open = 300*, 2 open = 350*, 2.5 open = 400*, all 3 open = ~500*

If I need to bump up the temps more than that, I just use a full lit chimbley to get 'er started.

I'll try that, I think I might have been stingie on the lit coals

You spatch my butz...I'll spatch yours!

Will it hurt?

Next time check the cup size in addition to the weight, hmmm?
Nice birds! I did the cranberry on some spares with apple wood and it was most excellent.

With breasts the shape and firmness is important too. This is why a close examination is always required.

Oh, and nice chickens you got there.

I'll see the rest of you farkers in the Penalty Box...

Looks good! Where did you get that Big Butz sauce? And I see no reason to cry fowl...:becky:

I like Chicks with Big Butz!:becky:
Must say I never had Big Butz before...I meant the sauce people!
Is there any room room left in The Box?
I'm off...

Looks good Pa!:cool:

Great looking birds!! and I'm not going to the box. :-D:thumb:

I didn't realize how big the breasts were until I carved it so that may have been some of my issue. I will examine the breasts more closely in the future.:shock:
Read the pakage, I bet they were "Enhanced":heh:

I love spatching up some big breasted chicks and having some Big Butz is always a bonus in my book. :heh:

Back