Two minute warning: Primo Oval XL vs. Large BGE

Steelers252006

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, we've had two previous discussions, and it comes down to this for me now: Large Big Green Egg vs. Primo Oval XL. Let's jus throw money out the window, too, as I just care about making the right purchase here. The overwhelming sentiment from this forum has me leaning towards the Egg, and from having one already I know of its amazing qualities as a cooker.

That being said before I make the decision on possibly which grill will last me the rest of my lifetime -- I'm only 33 but I will never buy anything else other than ceramic from here on out -- I would in all fairness at least like some more info on the Primo as it's impossible to find any real comparison of its quality make to the Egg's. I've read one post altogether from a fellow that has both, and he picked slightly the Primo over the Egg because of its versality. I've read the Primo is not as thick, doesn't cook as evenly, and isn't as good for pizzas. Can anybody substantiate any of this so I can make this decision QUICKLY and get back to what I love doing the most, cooking? You guys have geen great, and I look forward to letting you know, with the help of everyone's input, which cooker I decided to purchase.

I would personally buy American Made products. Mexico gets more than enough of our $ already.

OK, I would get a Spicewine, but, if I had to do what you are doin ghere is my thought process....

I'd get the BGE to start, use it and start saving the sheckles for the Primo. When enough I would buy it too. Then you make the head to head comparison, sell the one you don;t want. You'll get near retail for the egg, maybe a bit less for the primo, or you may end up keeping both. why the egg first? Proven track record...just my two cents.

you know what i'm going to say.

"You'll get near retail for the egg, maybe a bit less for the primo, or you may end up keeping both."

or you could get a large bge and then another large bge or a small bge.

can you get a large and a small bge for the price of the xl primo?

you know what you can do on the bge, but you're still having questions about the primo. this should weigh in somehow.

Dude, you're over-analyzing this. There is no one perfect smoker. You need an arsenal. Buy either the Egg or the Primo - whichever is more convenient for you - right now. Meaning, location of the dealer, price, warranty, etc. Next year or maybe year after next, you'll need a smoker with more capacity. Thats when you'll look at a cabinet smoker such as a Spicewine or FE or a stickburner such as a Lang or Klose.

Point is, dive in and get cooking.

I love having a small stick burner (Bandera) because I love smoking meats with a true stick fire. I can really get into flavor profiles using different types of wood. But the Bandera lacks capacity. Thats my next goal: a bigger smoker. And seriously, I wont get tied up over a Lang or Spice. Once I alocate the $, I'll buy for convenience. Note: I heard that Spice has a dealer in MD now :wink: But if a Lang crossed my path before then I wouldnt hesitate.

I bought an Egg because I knew the dealer and I liked the warranty. Word of mouth recommendations mean a lot to me. Plus, the Egg seems to have lots more accesories both OEM and aftermarket.

I have a large Egg, and I'm an active member on both the BGE and Pimo forums, and from a material and construction perspective I'm definately sold on the benefits of ceramic cookers. It sounds like you are too. I think both are a quality product and both have excellent support.

I have no complaints with my Egg, and I have put it through all the paces.

I think the XL Oval does have some versitility factors that are worth considering. First is the ability to set-up a direct (or raised direct) cook at the same time you are cooking indirect. Second is the fact that the grates have legs on them, so they can be flipped over depending on the height you want to cook at. You can also have stacked grates or any combination of direct, indirect, stacked or raised grates, including the use of half-grates. Third is the shape.

I sent you a PM.

im surprised it only took 8 post for someone to say that:decision:

I'm surprised it took that many, that's usually the number one response around here!

BYW.....I would get the EGG, there are a lot of Egg owners here and every single one is willing to share ideas, recipes and lessons learned with you!

I don't have either and I've never used either, but BGEs are much more common as are parts, accessories, mods, techniques, recipes, etc. That should be factored into your decision; If you need a part how long will it take and how much will it cost?

Dude, you're over-analyzing this. There is no one perfect smoker. You need an arsenal. ...
LMAO. Threads like this make me feel more "normal" having so much money tied up in cookers. I always liked the idea of the Primo XL simply because of capacity and indirect cooking. I ultimately sold my large BGE to a friend after I stopped using it. That worked out too because now he has to cook for me.

I am going with the Brauma Man on this one!!!! Just get together about $10,000.00
and buy one ov everything EXCEPT a UDS. I don't know what they are!
PARTY!!!!!
smokers.JPG

I replied to one of your other threads. I believe you had said you needed capacity for cooking large for a crowd, burgers, steaks, etc.
IMO, Ceramic grill/smokers are best for cooking significant amounts of food, efficiently and well. I believe you said you already have a LBGE. Why not get a Weber Ranch Kettle for the really big cooks. I believe they are 36"dia.

If you don't know what a UDS is I will make a prediction that this picture will be expanded soon.
I am going with the Brauma Man on this one!!!! Just get together about $10,000.00
PARTY!!!!!
smokers.JPG

PARTY!!!!!
smokers.JPG

i thought i was ballin' with my three eggs. lol!

Loved that pictures with like a gazillion bucks worth of grills!! Priceless!! My dream scenario, though a simple one, would entail a large ceramic cooker -- love how these things cook -- and a large Big Drum Smoker. Something about cooking low and slow over an open pit with the drippings hitting them coals and the flavor that can make, man, that really gets me going now!! Really I got a great deal on a Medium Egg and just realized I need a little bit bigger cooker. And the Primo is versatile and the Egg is proven beyond a doubt. Tough one. Appreciate everyone's input.

Back