• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Brisket PRON (my 1st brisket...done)

K

KSims1868

Here we go.
Let's start with the freshly unwrapped brisket. I kept it tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and just took it out to unwrap it and come up to room temp a little bit. Weighed just under 8 lbs.

2150409.jpg

The UDS is right on the money...smoking great. Red Bull & Vodka is getting low though...time for a refill.

2150412.jpg

Took a peak when my alarm went off this morning. Looking good. Internal temp was 166* and I wrapped it in foil, put back. I also added the 4 racks of ribs at this point.

2150415.jpg

Took it off when internal temp was 190* and let it rest in the cooler. 3 hours later I took it out to slice it up.

2150416.jpg

2150417.jpg

I (obviously) still need lots of practice, but I'm happy with the results of my 1st brisket. The flat was sort of dry, but after it rested in the pan with the juices it really moistened up and was very tasty. Great smoke flavor and a good balance of smoke/meat/rub flavors. Everyone was very pleased.

Did I mention i also smoked 4 racks of baby-back ribs and 2 links of axis deer sausage? It was quite a spread for Mother's Day around here.

2150419.jpg

And I'll add that YES - this ALL fit on the UDS at the same time (using a "rib rack"). It was awesome. Wish I had a pic of that, but I didn't take one.
All in all I think it was a successful cook. I can't wait to try another brisket. I think I'll do a bigger one next time. This one fed 8 people, but we ate all of it. Lots of ribs left over, but the brisket was GONE fast.

Nice work on that one, you did good. I'd ask for some but I'm not hungry. See my thread for no dinner tonight.

Buddy you did good. Flats are the most persnickety things to get right - on moisture first and texture second. The protective and self basting barrier of the point meat is a must. I bet if you just cut off only what you needed it would have been more moist. In addition, rubs and marinades have a drying effect as well oddly enough. People expect more and they can add moisture to grilled meats but in a long cook its not a great thing to do. This also can happen if your rub is a high salt rub. This is one reason why injections help some bbqers more than marinades.

Some still think that marinades don't even matter on these large cuts.

It was absolutely my very 1st brisket. Can't wait to smoke another this weekend coming up...maybe 2.
BUT I think my next challenge to conquer is going to be pulled pork. Nobody I know eats that around here (southeast TX). Wish me luck.

I agree with Ron, It looks like a very nice brisket.

At least you didn't have to throw yours out.

Back