MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
TheRancheroGuy
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS design- Good/No Good???

I found a local builder for a UDS, and I was wondering if some of you pros would look at this and comment. http://thesmokingdrum.yolasite.com/
While I know this is expensive, it looks pretty decent to me. I currently have a Bandara and want something I won't have to babysit as much and that will hold a steady temp.
He is local, he can have it built in 2 weeks. What questions should I have for him? Questions I have are:
1) No second shelf for a water tray
2) Where is the exhaust?
3) What's the source of the barrels?
The builder is probabally a member of this forum (a guess), I just want to make sure this is all I will need. Thanks for any and alls input!
John
TheRancheroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

U can build ur own EASILY for under $100.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Phubar

I like the ashtray idea,never seen it like that before.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
smellysockalarmclock
On the road to being a farker

If purchasing is your only option at this time, the build looks to be standard. Your questions seem to be reasonable, I might add: type of paint used? and What hardware material was used? You wouldn't want any galvanized materials in the cooking chamber.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Not a bad set up, but yu can build 2-3 for that price....

Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Honestly, half the fun is building your own! And it is so simple.

If it is your only option, I guess. But for that price you could find a better cooker at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
KStraker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The exhaust is the hole that is already in the top. You can barely see it on the near side of the lid. This looks like a decent UDS. I built one for a friend and it was bout 125.00.
KStraker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
But for that price you could find a better cooker at your local Lowes or Home Depot
Not sure about that one.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
TheRancheroGuy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
Honestly, half the fun is building your own! And it is so simple.

If it is your only option, I guess. But for that price you could find a better cooker at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck!
I'm curious, I thought the UDS was the way to go?? The Weber is $400, the BGE is even more, what cooker, available at Lowes or Home depot would perform better?
I have tried 2 offsets, 1 Bandera 1 Charbroil, and it's tough to regulate a steady temp, and they were/are wood hogs to boot.
Have I mis-read something all of you pro UDS chefs have said? I thought it was a GREAT, EASY, way to smoke.
What can I do with the Weber that I can't do with this?
TheRancheroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
suprfast
Take a breath!

Not to hijack, but ill sell you an already seasoned in great condition UDS for 100.00. Im in CA though. I have two drums and i dont use my backup. Just a thought.

I dont see anything wrong with buying one for 250.00. Its no different than buying a stumps for 2000.00. When you consider time, abilities, and material its a close call. Ill be making my own stumps shortly, because i have the time and ability. I also made two of my own drums because i had the time, ability, and a company that sells brand new 55 gallon drums locally. Best part is, i hacked it up the way i wanted by adding a rotisserie, custom racks, weber lid, and the list goes on. If you think 250 is worth it, pull the trigger. It sure beats the BDS pricing.
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRancheroGuy View Post
I'm curious, I thought the UDS was the way to go?? The Weber is $400, the BGE is even more, what cooker, available at Lowes or Home depot would perform better?
I have tried 2 offsets, 1 Bandera 1 Charbroil, and it's tough to regulate a steady temp, and they were/are wood hogs to boot.
Have I mis-read something all of you pro UDS chefs have said? I thought it was a GREAT, EASY, way to smoke.
What can I do with the Weber that I can't do with this?
For the price he's asking, I would go with a WSM... I don't think that the 18" is going to be much more than $250...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I think the price is a bit high BUT he has to make a profit. Quality and everything is there though. The thermometer is a $16.00 one from Wally World but they do the job. So if you don't have the time or ability go for it as long as there are no shipping charges added.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
Not a bad set up, but yu can build 2-3 for that price....
I agree with Tweedle.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Bigg Higg's BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I built mine for 65.00....that being said, I would ask if it comes with a cooking grate (for 250.00 i think it should). I didnt see that listed on his site. IMHO if you like it and want to buy it, buy it and enjoy. Good Luck !!!
Bigg Higg's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRancheroGuy View Post
Absolutely, the drum is the way to go. I'm the biggest drum fan around, but the idea of spending $250 for one is hard to take in my opinion.

I bet there's someone here not too far from you who would be happy to give/sell their drum or help you make your own. I bet you could find someone to build you a drum for the cost of materials (they are so easy to build).

If you need to have something now, I think the best store-bought smoker for less than $300, would be an 18" WSM.