THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Well, ive been looking and finally have the funds for one of these beauties!! Ive seen and toyed around with the xl bge, but have also heard rumors of a new lid design. Have never seen or cooked on a Primo. I know there are plenty of eggheads on here, and even a few dealers, was wondering if anybody had any info as to when BGE would be changing there lid design, or if anyone was going to try and sway me the primo way.

do you like black or green? Do you want to be a primo donna or an egghead? All the rest is minor difference. Cook on them both and see if you can see a difference. Either way your family is going to have some good Q.
I have an egg(cause thats what my wife gave me) and I marvel at how well it does everything. I've cooked on Primo ovals many times and I was sold on it too. Quirky little differences but no faults for either.

There is one major difference you may be overlooking - Primos are made right here in Georgia while BGE is manufactured in Mexico. Given the state of our economy, I believe it's more important than ever to buy American now when you can. If you're looking for a deal on an XL, send me your contact info via PM. One of my cook team members works for a company that distributes Primo and I'll see if he can put you on to a good deal in your area.

I had many things make up my decision, but an interesting one was that it appeared as if my two area dealers and many in forums appeared to shy away from the BGE XL. I also saw that with the Grill Dome. That concerned me and had me focus even more on the Primo Oval XL.

The BGE and Primo have excellent service. I can say from two issues that Primo is top notch and even though i don't have a local dealer, dealing with Primo direct has been great.

For focused info and opinions, spend some time on their specific forums.

An Oval XL with the extended grates, divider (primo exclusive) and D-plates is a very versital cooking machine.

Good luck!

Ted

I see that Smokey-t mentioned the word Grill Dome. Whatever you do stay away from a Grill Dome, I have one and when working properly it cooks great, but the unit is garbage. Peeling paint, cracked firebox, cracked fire ring, faulty hinge, warped cooking grate and worst of all terrible customer service.

If I had it to do over I would go with a large egg, and take the money you saved and buy a Weber 22.5 kettle for extra cooking space. A buddy of mine has the XL egg and is constantly talking about how much fuel it uses.

On second thought if I had it do over, I would probably just go buy 6 or 7 Weber kettles……

I have not personally used the Primo and have not seen anyone using it on the local comp circuit...I have seen demos of it and it looks to be a quality product. :cool:

I can vouch for the large BGE as I have been using one for years. It is (in my opinion) the most versatile smoker/grill/outdoor oven out there. I'm not sure if the XL is as versatile in the low-n-slow category as the large though...perhaps the reason for the lid re-design. Good luck with your decision. :biggrin:

I've gor two Primos, a Oval JR and an XL Oval. They both cook great and I doubt if I'll ever get rid of them. The oval shape makes it where most stuff fits in there very easily. The "Made in the USA" was also a big selling point for me.

I see that Smokey-t mentioned the word Grill Dome. Whatever you do stay away from a Grill Dome, I have one and when working properly it cooks great, but the unit is garbage. Peeling paint, cracked firebox, cracked fire ring, faulty hinge, warped cooking grate and worst of all terrible customer service.

If I had it to do over I would go with a large egg, and take the money you saved and buy a Weber 22.5 kettle for extra cooking space. A buddy of mine has the XL egg and is constantly talking about how much fuel it uses.

On second thought if I had it do over, I would probably just go buy 6 or 7 Weber kettles……

I am sure this is relative, but my Primo Oval XL is a fuel mizer. With the firebox divider, I can do many cooks and waste less. Even with the divider out, it seems a bag of lump last a long time.

Have you already considered getting a Large and Small Egg instead of any of those XL´s ?`

Thats a way more versatile combination.

DM

The new XL BGE is supposed to be out in the second quarter this year which is pretty damned soon. I would wait or if you can find a deal on a used XL then upgrade the dome that is what I would do if you were not happy with it in it's current configuration. I am currently changing my gaskets out to the Rutland gasket on the lower lip.

What are they changing in the XL BGE?

Higher Dome gives you a lot more room inside

895_10318_1184958356659_1609264258_446662_1008849_n_1.jpg

DM

I chose the XL Primo because its made in the USA and the oval shape is more versatile. You really can't go wrong either way, but my opinion is somewhat biased.:biggrin:

I've had my Grill Dome for several months and have not had a single problem. I have found the customer service to be top notch. Cracked fireboxs and rings are common among any ceramic cookers. Sorry about your luck, if you haven't already contact TK at Grill Dome, he would be more then happy to take care of your problems.

I'm looking to buy my first ceramic cooker soon, and have been doing alot of research on the various ones available. From what I've read, as far as cooking, you can't go wrong with almost any of them, they will all cook comparatively (assuming all else is equal with regard to the ability of the cook).

Some of the grills have slightly better features than the others, but in general, these seem like minor differences.

It seems to me that the biggest issue would be local availability and customer service. If/when your firebox cracks 5 years from now, you want to be sure that there is a company out there to support you, and that spares are available.

From what I've read, the BGE and Primo should be of no concern with regard to future warranty work. I believe that both companies will be around 5, 10 years from now.

I worry a little about the grill dome.

Sorry about your luck, if you haven't already contact TK at Grill Dome, he would be more then happy to take care of your problems.

I've seen lots of posts on the grilldome forum regarding contacting TK. And, it sounds like he does provide good service. However, all of these references to TK suggest to me that grilldome is essentially a one man company. That worries me a little with regard to future. What happens when TK is no longer there?

It's too bad, because I like a lot of the features of the grilldome (bigger dome, stainless hardware, available in RED, slightly lower cost) better than the BGE.

Locally, I have several BGE dealers in the vicinity (one within walking distance of my home), and I suspect that I will wind up with a BGE. Not because it's "better", but because I believe that I will be served better than the competition in my area.

Good luck with your decision. I hope I will be back soon with a new ceramic cooker.

is every part of a big green egg made in Mexico, or are just the ceramic parts cast in Mexico? the hinge says USA on it so i'm just saying. ed fisher in Tucker, Georgia, the founder/owner of big green egg, doesn't look Mexican to me, but i don't have a degree in Spanish, so i'm not sure. i'm pretty sure all the people that work at the headquarters in Tucker, Georgia are not all Mexicans too... well, there may be one or two, but they would be the minority. i don't know. i kinda like Mexico. i've been down there a few times. huge fun. :biggrin:

Back