Dry brisket again, what am I doing wrong?

D

dgassaway

Picked up a 6lb flat from Costco, seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning and put it on the UDS at 1:30 pm fat side down with a few hickory chunks in with the charcoal.

I held pretty close to 250° all day and foiled at 170 (about 6hrs into the cook). After just a short time in the foil the internal temp read 194° so I pulled the foil and put her back on the fire to toughen the bark just a little.

Once removed from the foil my internal temp dropped to 170ish again so I left it on without the foil until I reached 194° and it probed fairly easy (should it be as easy to probe as a pork butt?) She seemed to hold in at 170ish for a long time before finally climbing up to temp. Total cook time 10-1/2 hrs or so.

Looks good, nice smoke ring, good flavor, but dry as hell again. I see pron here of nice juicy looking briskets but both times I've tried I get a beautiful looking piece of dry meat, what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_4074B1.jpg
    IMG_4074B1.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_4078B2.jpg
    IMG_4078B2.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_4086B3.jpg
    IMG_4086B3.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_4087B4.jpg
    IMG_4087B4.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 392
That looks beautiful. Your rub certainly did penetrate.

As for being dry, you did say it was brisket right? Welcome to the club.

the only flats ive seen at Costco are the ones in the stryo trays with all the fat trimmed off..if those are what you are cooking it could be why they are so dry..judging by the pics that looks like what you bought..ask the guy at the meat counter to get you ones of the ones that are untrimmed in the cryovac still..they got em,

I agree with Billm. If the ones you're buying are already trimmed you could be a victim of not enough fat and no matter what you do odds are you're going to get a dry brisket. I know how you feel though. I hate that for you. But keep trying and next time get one with more fat that way you decide how much fat is on the one you cook.

What both ^ of them said. Most flats are just trimmed too close. I prefer to cook whole ones, but when I do just a flat, I buy a whole brisket separate the flat, freeze the point. I wish I had a fat up picture but I do minimal trimming on the fat as you can see by looking at the end view.

DSC08313a.jpg

The only other thing i'd have to ask is how long did you let it rest before slicing? Resting time is important as well especially with brisket, too short and it will be dry. Just my thought.

Last one I got at Costco was a whole packer, flat and point. It was dry but not as much as this one.

Yesterday all they had were what I believed to be untrimmed flats in cryo vacuum packs.

I did no trimming of the fat, just rinsed, patted dry and applied the rub. Left fat cap down to protect from heat.

The only other thing i'd have to ask is how long did you let it rest before slicing? Resting time is important as well especially with brisket, too short and it will be dry. Just my thought.

Ahhhh, I only let it rest 10-15 minutes. Would it make such a drastic difference? I mean its DRY!

Rest it for a good hour. Did you inject prior to cooking or add in any liquid into the foil? Next time inject a bit of beef broth and add about a cup of it when you foil.

10+ hours also seems like a long time for just a flat, especially on a UDS. UDS users????

As others have said, ask for the untrimmed flats at costco. At my store, they don't have them out front, you specifically have to ask for them. They are also cryovac'd so they will last longer.
I'd also go with at least a one hour rest, if not two. The hardest part about briskets is knowing when to pull it, especially when you have to factor in that it is going to continue cooking a bit during the rest. There is a small gap between undercooked and overcooked, and it takes practice. I'm still learning also.

10 hours on a drum seems like an awful long time for a 6 lb flat. The other thing that jumps out is you said the temp on the meat dropped back to 170 when you put it back on the drum to firm it up. That seems odd. My bet is maybe there was some sort of mishap with reading the temp...It has happened to me...and when you left it on for the extended time it dried it out. It was a great looking piece of meat....maybe you have to sacrifice firm bark for tender and juicy....sometimes its hard to get both on a drum.

Resting is very important as far as I'm concerned - did a couple briskets at a friends bachelor party 2 weeks ago and with all the fun and games going on I forgot I pulled the briskets (after foiling) off to rest and 3 hrs. later we pulled them out the cooler and they were unbelievable!! moist - tender - etc.etc. ( of course we were well lubricated )

Rest it for a good hour. Did you inject prior to cooking or add in any liquid into the foil? Next time inject a bit of beef broth and add about a cup of it when you foil.

10+ hours also seems like a long time for just a flat, especially on a UDS. UDS users????

That's a REALLY long time on a UDS considering I did one this past weekend that was 3.5lb flat and it was done in around 4 hours, and that picking it up from the store that morning, bringing it home, seasoning it and putting it on the UDS at 240 degrees. I'd check your therms to make sure they're reading right too. The only other way it would have been that dry is if you overcooked it on top of not letting it rest.

Here's the link from where I posted in another forum:
http://smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80056

Another thing, how many briskets have you done? I have done 2 and I figure I am doing good if it is edible, even tasty. It took me a while to get to where I could do ribs and butts with a high level of comfort, and even at that, I get off cooks at times. I figure a dry brisket here or there is a part of the learning process.

Should you do the whole cook fat side down?...I usually cook them fat side up and have had good results....However last time I tried one I also did it for the entire cook fat side down and the flat was dry....

Firecrackerjack

Thanks guys for all the help, I'll do another soon and try watching my time and resting it longer.

IGOLF2 may have the best suggestion. Just make sure your guests are well lubricated. Enough lubrication and they'll eat anything.

Thanks,

I just gotta add, my 13 pounder this weekend only took 6 hours. Didn't have a thermometer anywhere near it, though.

I just used the tip I learned here. After about 4 hours, I started poking it with a skewer every hour or so. When it slid right in, it was done.

I stopped reading here because this is a pretty good response.

First of all... I don't think you should post pictures of briskets on here with smoke rings that have been enhanced in Photo Shop. Seriously, you expect us to believe that was the real smoke ring... too perfect.

Now, I TOTALLY agree with the time aspect. If its taking ten hours to get the IT temp right we know two things... one, throw away your probe or cut off the electronic portion of it. There is a direct correlation between the failures in brisket posted on here and the level of detail there is in the IT temp data.

The Brisket was probably done much earlier.

I think FIRST you should get another one of those flats and go and do my ENTRY level Experiment...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57815&highlight=dark+closet+night+train

It is NOT a smoker experiment.... But crucial to understanding the proper texture and moisture level attainable for Brisket and also what you should try and duplicate on your smoker.

Now the flat itself - yes you can make a great flat BBQ but its more expensive this way and you have so many things against you. fat content, age is indeterminable, left or right side is harder to tell, but you will need either FOIL or higher temps.

On a UDS is even harder... Not where I would start out at if I wanted to make some good brisket quickly.

Once again - nothing wrong with a flat but harder... i liken it (but not entirely) to trying to smoke a whole hog instead of chosing a pork butt instead. Buit if you're gonna do it - Like if your gonna go out and punch a hole in a hot stripper, its best to use some protection. For the stripper you'll need a condom and then you can go scribble all over her. For the flat you'll need a fat cap or foil or higher temps to protect or limit the amount of exposure.

you can inject it or brine it or use a mop sauce

These are not a good ideas at your level.

The brine, forget it

The injection (treats the symptom not solve the problem - and for those that want to go off half cocked by me saying this) You are probably successful because you are using the injection after YOU HAVE MASTERED THE PROCESS

Inject a flat AFTER you have mastered the time and heat and rub and you will have something excellent.

Also, of course there are some who don't know about brisket because of their regional areas. In other words, your brisket may be the best in you have ever had but then that is subject to what you have had.

Mopping will add to the disaster of dried out meat. Unless you are doing open pit cue. Mopping will mean MORE time in the pit making up for the heat and moisture loss you created. We have discussed this at length here.

I hope I have not offended anyone that thinks they are using these processes correctly - the poster intended.

Sincerely,

P

Back