WSM Heat Shield.......Do I need it?

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I put together my new 18.5" WSM with my two kids. It took probably three times longer than it should of, but we had a good time. :-D

Anyway, the new model has a heat shield on the bottom. It just sits on some "fingers" molded into the leg sections. It doesn't look like it's going to do much and I think it's going to clank around during moving. My question is, "Do you think it's worth keeping or should I just remove it?". The reason I ask is that it would be easier to do now instead of after I get it seasoned and cooked on. Thanks is advance.

Matt, my WSMs don't put enough heat out of the bottom to make a mark on the concrete, but if you're cooking on a wooden deck it might not hurt to leave the heat shield on.

Once it's on, take some pliers and bend the tabs around the pan. It won't flop around when you move the pit.
db

Meat,
Thanks. I'll probably be keeping it on now and I think I'll be moving my WSM's further from the garage from now on. Currently, I always cook with my older WSM in my driveway about 10' from the edge of my garage. I always use a chimney starter and light it about 20' from the garage. Using a guru, I always figured that it was probably safe at that distance, but maybe 20' is a better number. Thanks again.

Matt, just makes you sick to see something like that happen to anyone. Our local fire department requirement is 10 feet from any structure. Sounds like db had a good fix for the deflector. Have a great weekend!!!!

Back