Venison shoulder...any ideas

J

joneshill

I was thinking about smoking a deer shoulder this weekend. Instead of bacon I was going to wrap in unsalted pork fat and wrap after 2-3 hours. Anyone have a good recipe or any suggestions?

Get hold of Roger (Pigman) and get his venison chili recipe. Good stuff.
You should be alright with the pork fat, venison is real lean and I have cooked some, mostly grilled higher temp and kind of fast.

Scott

I heard about a guy cubing the venison shoulder. He would insert chunks of pork fat very similar to the way people insert garlic cloves into meat. The embedded fat would render into the leaner meat and flavor it. Good luck with it.

Get hold of Roger (Pigman) and get his venison chili recipe. Good stuff.
You should be alright with the pork fat, venison is real lean and I have cooked some, mostly grilled higher temp and kind of fast.

Scott

Yeah, I've always grilled too, I just wanted to try something different. I didn't know if I should use a mop sauce or marinade first or brine?

I always marinade deer. I use Italian dressing, sometimes with Worcestershire sauce. I marinade a long time, too, couple days in the fridge, sometimes three. Have used bacon, would like to try some fresh side bacon sometime. It does need the oil/fat when smoking it. Otherwise it will be dry and hard. If it turns out that way, hours in a crock pot with apple juice in can save it. I don't throw out meat if it can be salvaged, and smoked crock pot deer makes great pulled meat sammies.

If you come up with a winner let us know. I almost always grill, or grind for sausage. I just don't get out to hunt as much as I'd like in the last several years, but hope to soon. If you come up with a winner, I'd really like to give it a shot to do something different.

If you come up with a winner let us know. I almost always grill, or grind for sausage. I just don't get out to hunt as much as I'd like in the last several years, but hope to soon. If you come up with a winner, I'd really like to give it a shot to do something different.

I am scanning several sites for recipes, I have an idea of how I will be doing it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out and I will definately share the recipe if it's good.

we usually jab a knive into it several times and insert garlic cloves. inject with a mixture of orange juice, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar. rub down with spicy season all, or tony ch. or whatever you want and wrap in bacon. smoke it low and slow and the meat turns out buttery.

The whitetail deer here in Missouri usually don't have enough meat on the shoulders to make it worth cooking them on the smoker. There are a lot of small muscles surrounded by silver skin on the front legs/shoulder area.

Most of my deer hunting friends who butcher their own deer use the meat off the front quarters for making jerky or grind it for burger. I have cooked a lot of venison and the few times I have cooked the front quarters whole, I have not been happy with the results.

If you do decide to cook the shoulder whole, remove it from the smoker when it hits 140ºF for a point just past medium rare. Anything higher than 150º is going to yield a tough and dry product.

Lager,

Juggy

The whitetail deer here in Missouri usually don't have enough meat on the shoulders to make it worth cooking them on the smoker. There are a lot of small muscles surrounded by silver skin on the front legs/shoulder area.

Most of my deer hunting friends who butcher their own deer use the meat off the front quarters for making jerky or grind it for burger. I have cooked a lot of venison and the few times I have cooked the front quarters whole, I have not been happy with the results.

If you do decide to cook the shoulder whole, remove it from the smoker when it hits 140ºF for a point just past medium rare. Anything higher than 150º is going to yield a tough and dry product.

Lager,

Juggy

I am very worried about it drying out.

Back