MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Hors d’ oeuvres numbers help

Need some advice please. Try not to do too much foo foo catering but some friends are getting married and they want Q and you know how that goes... Anyway, after the wedding and why the happy couple are dealing with the pictures the reception begins. The want me to serve Hors d’ oeuvres for an hour starting at 5:30. Buffet dinner (ribs, pork, pit beef, pit turkey, green salad, green beans, baked beans, mac and cheese, and slaw) will start around 6:45. There will be 200 guests with very few kids. Planning on 4 or 5 different types. One will be MOINK Balls, one will be chilled shrimp, couple of others and veggie and cheese trays. The question is how much should I prepare??? Each person eats 2 of each? Guessing guests will not have eaten before the wedding. Any and all help is appreciated

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I might be inclined to hit the restaurant depot and sam's for their pre-made Hors d’ oeuvres. Pick the ones you want based on what they have available. Those things can consume a lot of time prepping and cooking, then you have to transport. The restaurant my daughter works at even uses the ones that are premade and nobody ever questions them.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

If you do not use them a lot I would buy the boxes pre made. They are way very time consuming to make for one party. I would go with the basics and stay away from BBQ for them. I would keep the two you have and add some cocktail weiners with honey dijon, brie cheese puffs with a rasberry dipping sauce, sesame chicken skewers with a thai peanut suace. I can go on and on if you need ideas. Good Luck

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Crudite and/or crackers/bread and dips will go a long way as well and maintain profit. If possible, keep the bar central, and the hors d'ouevres placed at several staions thruout the room. Saltiy and or spicier items neares the bar. Afternoon/evening wedding hors d'ouevres plus a bar = Hungry guests. Everyone will be hungry, given the dinner hour, and may be looking to chow down during the "happy hour" before dinner. Items that can be pre-plated and placed out for self service will help here.

Also, allow extra time for pictures - It always takes longer than you (or the Bride) thinks. Make sure to talk all this over with the lucky couple and level set before the big day. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, will check out RD for ready made. Didn't like what I saw at GJs and Costco. Not wanting the folks to make dinner out of them as the my buddy the groom wants it to be a Q to remember.

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Down here you can't go wrong with a few cans of Cheese Wiz and a box of saltines.

Uncle Bud
Uncle Buds BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote