• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New to smoking and New UDS.

JTank70

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi there

I finished off my UDS yesterday ( More pics in the UDS Thread).!!!:biggrin:

Now I need a little advice on using it.

I am doing Chicken thighs,drums and a fatty for mothers day.

I am looking for general info about cooking this all on the drum.

Prep work, like when/ how to add sauce or baste. How Long (temp*/time) to cook at what temps? What to put on first/last, flip/no flip. Just general advice or techniques to help me through. I am a bit nervouse as I am a complete virgin to smoking and it is a cool/windy/drizzly day here.

I would like to rub the thighs, sauce the drumsticks and do a onion/pepper/mushroom & Cheese Fatty wrapped in bacon. I have all the ingredients I will be using so I am not looking for recipes just prep/cooking advice

Also, I have a bag of Hickory chips. Will these be ok, or should I run out and grab some hunks somewhere? Soak or no soak?

I know this is a lot to ask in short notice but I would love to pull this off and could use all the help you are willing to give.

Thank you, Thank you.

Attachments

• smallCIMG2298.JPG
    smallCIMG2298.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 451
Hi there

I finished off my UDS yesterday ( More pics in the UDS Thread).!!!:biggrin:

Now I need a little advice on using it.

I am doing Chicken thighs,drums and a fatty for mothers day.

I am looking for general info about cooking this all on the drum.

Prep work, like when/ how to add sauce or baste. How Long (temp*/time) to cook at what temps? What to put on first/last, flip/no flip. Just general advice or techniques to help me through. I am a bit nervouse as I am a complete virgin to smoking and it is a cool/windy/drizzly day here.

I would like to rub the thighs, sauce the drumsticks and do a onion/pepper/mushroom & Cheese Fatty wrapped in bacon. I have all the ingredients I will be using so I am not looking for recipes just prep/cooking advice

Also, I have a bag of Hickory chips. Will these be ok, or should I run out and grab some hunks somewhere? Soak or no soak?

I know this is a lot to ask in short notice but I would love to pull this off and could use all the help you are willing to give.

Thank you, Thank you.

Just rub up your chicken peices and toss them on the uds @ 250 degrees skin side up...no flippin' necessary. Smoke to an internal temp of 160 (about a couple of hours). raise the temp to 300 or so then glaze the chicken with your sauce...let it cook for another 15 -20 minutes to set the glaze.

As far as the fatty goes...sprinkle a little rub on it and toss it on with the chicken...no need to flip...cook to an internal of 180 as well...it should take about the same time to do it as it does the chicken. No sauce needed for the fatty. Good luck! :p

Hickory chips are fine...soak them in water before and wrap in tin foil. Chunks are better...2-3 fist size...no soaking.

Last edited:
Great thanks alot for that. I am ging to prep the meat/make the fatty

So I put the chips on top of the coals while still wrapped in the tin foil?
Is a couple of hours an ample time to soak the chips? How much chips to use?

Thanks again

If it's not too late, run out and get you one of these...I found mine at Lowe's for $5.
IMG_9617.jpg

That is cool!

I actually think I saw those on here before, but forgot about it until now. Meat goes on in short order so I'll have to get a couple for next time.:frown:

I am bringing her up to temp now. She is at about 210*. I have the meats all ready to go. The chips are in the foil. made three packets about the size of my fist and poked holes in them.

Is this enough chips? do I put them on ahead of time or with the meat?:confused:

Also is it ok to put the meat on the grate inside and carry out to the UDS or should the meat be put on the grate in a hot smoker?:confused:

It's starting to rain a bit again:evil:

this is exciting stuff.

Thanks

Easy on the chips for chicken, it is like a sponge. Get a bag of chunks for sure. Remember one main rule of drums, NO PEEKING!. Every time you lift the lid you mess with the air control and thus loose cruising temp.

Easy on the chips for chicken, it is like a sponge. Get a bag of chunks for sure. Remember one main rule of drums, NO PEEKING!. Every time you lift the lid you mess with the air control and thus loose cruising temp.

cool, got it. so should I do only one or two packets of the chips you think?

I would go with one. I have honestly never used packets, except on a gasser. Are you gonna sauce the chicken? If so get a disposable pan (1/2) or like size tip a little, add sauce to pan. Open UDS, pull all chicken, replace lid, roll chicken in sauce for desired coating and put back on grill. If you have the lid off and try and brush all you will have an inferno. Learned this from Ho De Do or Plowboy.

Meat is on 3:15 using two packets of chips.:confused:
The fatty is in the center.:confused:

Hope this is ok. Someone stop me now if it is not.

Pics coming soon to prove it.

Cool removing one packet then. I am only saucing the drumsticks. I'll use your method.

Thanks for all your help.

2 hours past. She has been hovering at about 210-220 on the side thermometer. Had to check things out. I was quick as I could be. Drumsticks are at 145* and the Thighs and Fatty are at 140*.

Not sure when I should check again?

Also not sure if I should raise the heat up a bit?

Things are lookin good. I was going so fast I forgot to take a pic but they will come later for sure.

Thanks

Last edited:
JTank, you're fine on that side temp. Your grate temp is probably around 250. Check again in about half hour. Don't leave that lid off very long or you could have blackened chicken. Get some pics coming our way. Good luck. Sounds like you are having fun...as it should be!

Thanks Meat Burner.

I am having fun. A little nervouse but having fun. This is for my wife and mother in-law for mother's day.

Will be checking temp again in 10-15 mins (1/2 hour since last check).

Well 4:00 here. Wonder what time the pizza was delivered? Were on the edge of our seat for some Pron!

Well ,the fat end of the fatty was comin up a little short on temp.

Pron is coming brothers just taking a little longer than expected.

please stand by.

We have the pizza place on speed dial just in case. But, I don't think we will need 'em tonight.

Here is a pic of the goods 15-20 mins before pulling to tide you over.

I have just pulled everything and it is resting for a bit.

All said and done it tok about 4 hours. I was a chilly, rainy , windy day.

More pics later. Things look great to me but I am new don‘t forget.

Thanks for all of your help through this first Q. You all gave me some great advice and confidence.

We are going to eat!!!

Attachments

• smallCIMG2309.JPG
    smallCIMG2309.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 181
Clear the speed dial...No need for pizza if it all comes out like that.

Back