MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Small Business Loans

In my extensive research I have found that many of the so called grants available to business are near impossible to get and for those who do the process can take weeks, months or years.

Long and short unless I'm missing something, it seems the best way to go about it is to either use your personal credit cards carefully or use equity in your home to finance your business.

Any other ideas or have I hit the nail on the head just been frustrating but I will find a creative way to do this! I'm looking to get my trailer, bigger smoker preferably on the trailer and a vehicle to tow it with used preferrably for now.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq View Post
In my extensive research I have found that many of the so called grants available to business are near impossible to get and for those who do the process can take weeks, months or years.

Long and short unless I'm missing something, it seems the best way to go about it is to either use your personal credit cards carefully or use equity in your home to finance your business.

Any other ideas or have I hit the nail on the head just been frustrating but I will find a creative way to do this! I'm looking to get my trailer, bigger smoker preferably on the trailer and a vehicle to tow it with used preferrably for now.
Thats the way I did it to get going and now I am working at getting grants to pay them off. It's a journey and I will give the ins and outs once the process is done.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bossman,

Just out of curiosity. Is there anyway you can work smaller events for a period of time and build up some capital to help with healthy down payments or out right payoffs? Having more than a note or two scares me a little.

However, if you have the demand to cover the loans, I too would be tempted to borrow to get bigger rigs and a smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq View Post

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Butt Ugly
Got Wood.

Couple thoughts...
Are women business owners able to tap into funds more easily? You might set the business up in your wife's name...you will probably eventually want to go with an LLC.

Debt will kill you...pay cash for a used Chevy cargo van heavy enough to handle a trailer...resale/trade-in on larger vehicles are at an all-time low. You can always get a cheap Maaco paint job to dress it up (professional image). Look on Ebay for cheap custom magnetic signs. You could use several magnets on each side so you are advertising your business as you roll down the road. When you park it in your driveway you could take off the magnets if you need to worry about the neighbors.

Be wary of the going BIG before it makes financial sense to do so...you'll smile more with less debt load.

Last edited by Butt Ugly; 09-10-2008 at 10:51 PM..
Butt Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

the phrase buy it and they will come doesn't apply here. do you have a business plan? if you do see if it's scalable? if you don't hit the library and put even a small one together. now is not the time. to borrow money.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I have been in commericial lending for 14 year, starting out in SBA lending. For a start up, the SBA is the best and in most cases the only loan out there.

But as my Chief Credit officer told me, It is a LOAN not a Grant. Meaning we underwrite to have the client pay us back. Remember, banking is a dumb business we get non of the up side if the business takes off just the spread on the loan and we take 100% of the downside if it fails. And a food business fails a lot.

If you have equity in the house that is the cheapest loan for business there is, use it.

An SBA loan will require you to pledge you house anyway. However, if the equity is not sufficient for the dollar amount you are looking for then go the SBA route.

Go prepared, get a business plan together, with projections on a month to month basis, for at least the first year. Good detail is important, but I full blown powerpoint slide show is overboard.

In many cities there are free or low cost help to get small business open, look for SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Execs) to help with business plans and help you do a reality check on the viability of the plan.

Most of all, good luck. I give anyone credit that ventures off to start their own business.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Bossman,

Just out of curiosity. Is there anyway you can work smaller events for a period of time and build up some capital to help with healthy down payments or out right payoffs? Having more than a note or two scares me a little.

However, if you have the demand to cover the loans, I too would be tempted to borrow to get bigger rigs and a smoker
Big Brother Smoke, currently we are working smaller events just for that reason to build up some capital to afford stuff. In fact all of the equiptment I have bought this year has been because of contests that we sold food at and re-invested that money into the business. I guess its the slowly but surely mode that gets you after awhile and you want more faster.
We have a meeting with the SBA rep this thursday. I'll let you all know what we decide

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote