dessert - what do you do

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
looking for some ideas/suggestions. here are my ideas for right now

Dessert Pizza served on a pizza peel - thinking a chocolate peanut butter topping with melted marshmallows

sweet potato pecan pie served in those little individual pies.

Did JD breadpudding last time. wife thinks i should do creme brulee

I cook it in an aluminum half pan. Then I cut one of the sides down. Cut around the center of the cake so it will fit as one piece in the tray. Take two 9" spatulas and carefully remove. Place as one piece in the tray. If you take your time and do it right, you can make it look like it was baked there.

Then I top with butter pecan ice cream, a couple whole walnuts for garnish and drizzled with caramel sauce.

Anything that includes the word "cheesecake".

Let me clarify, I don't do deserts, but it seems the last few times "cheesecake" has taken "anything but" or desert.

I recently did grilled maple glazed pineapple slices with fresh brownies and ice-cream.

I have been thinking a good desert to do over some very hot coals would be bananas foster which would make for some awesome presentation as well.

creme brulee is a little difficult to do without propane... possible, but harder. Just a thought for when planning your items...

I recently did grilled maple glazed pineapple slices with fresh brownies and ice-cream.

I have been thinking a good desert to do over some very hot coals would be bananas foster which would make for some awesome presentation as well.

How do you keep the Ice Cream from melting while it is sitting waiting for the judges?

I've got a comp coming up that will include our first non tri-tip anything butt category. I am curious, how much of the cooking has to be done on site? Are you guys baking cheesecakes and other cakes on site? I will have a fifth wheel trailer on site, but RV ovens aren't exactly the best for baking.

Also, I am curious about using ice cream as a side or topping. It's gotta be melted by the time it gets to the judges right? Do you guys make your own ice cream or can you use store bought. If you make it, once again, do you make it on site?

Thanks,
Jason

Andy almost always does Key Lime Pie. Only has 4 ingredients and bakes for app. 15 mins and then give it time to set up. Easy as pie!!! It tastes really good on those really hot days.

I may take over one of these days (if he lets me) and do something else.

Anything that includes the word "cheesecake".

Let me clarify, I don't do deserts, but it seems the last few times "cheesecake" has taken "anything but" or desert.

Where is the contest? I was at the Royal last year, and I think 3 of the top 5 desserts were Cheesecake!

The ice cream dish I was referring to was for a meal at home not for competition. Sorry for the confusion. It was awesome anyhow.:cool:

grilled dessert pizza (peaches and cannoli cream, honey, mint leaves, brown suguar on a pizza crust).

Last edited:
I've got a comp coming up that will include our first non tri-tip anything butt category. I am curious, how much of the cooking has to be done on site? Are you guys baking cheesecakes and other cakes on site? I will have a fifth wheel trailer on site, but RV ovens aren't exactly the best for baking.

Also, I am curious about using ice cream as a side or topping. It's gotta be melted by the time it gets to the judges right? Do you guys make your own ice cream or can you use store bought. If you make it, once again, do you make it on site?

Thanks,
Jason

Dump cakes turn out great in the RV. For the Ice Cream, I make my scoops WAY ahead of time and place back in the freezer. The RV freezer is turned on high. They are rock hard when placed on the dessert. I served dump cake with ice cream from a cooler that was barely able to be scooped at Burlington, KS.... got 3rd. So, a little melting might not be all that bad.

Back