MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Beans?

I never eat beans but would like to start. Heres the thing...what to do with them besides chili. What types, recipes, canned, fresh etc?Any suggestions would be helpful
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think Great Northern beans are some of the best and most versitle beans there are. Add some ham or ham hocks for ham and bean soup. I'd bet there's a recipe in the roadmap for white chili using Great Northerns.

Todd

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Default check this thread out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18108

there are some pretty good recipes here. Ive posted one a few posts down (charro beans) they are my favorite my fiance is hispanic and she is the one who taught me this recipe. she can make a killer pot of beans. the pics i posted were some i did over a camp fire in a dutch oven and stuck em the smoker to hold and pick up some smoke flavor.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
I never eat beans but would like to start. Heres the thing...what to do with them besides chili. What types, recipes, canned, fresh etc?Any suggestions would be helpful
Ok, I'll be the first Texan to chime in here......BEANS DON't BELONG IN CHILI ANYWAY !!!

My fav. is pinto beans....
I take a smoked hock, some chopped onion, a little thyme(very little), chopped garlic, chopped bell pepper, cumin pwdr, blk pepper ,mexene chili pwdr(too taste//I don't add much just a hint of chili pwdr) and cook in the crock pot overnight....add salt and blk pepper to taste..serve over rice doused with hot sauce, w/ jalapeno cornbread and a little side of yum yum!!!
Another way I like em is to just simply cook them with the smoked hock and onion and jalapenos, salt at the endo to taste

edit: add blk pepper as well!!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I second that Tumped i forgot to add that in my post. No Beans in Chili!!! keep em simple..

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
bbqinNC
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDaddy
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18108

there are some pretty good recipes here. Ive posted one a few posts down (charro beans) they are my favorite my fiance is hispanic and she is the one who taught me this recipe. she can make a killer pot of beans. the pics i posted were some i did over a camp fire in a dutch oven and stuck em the smoker to hold and pick up some smoke flavor.
I can second FatDaddy's recipe. I have made these twice in a big dutch oven in my pit. I put the oven with the lid off under a butt for a few hours to pick up smoke and fat.
Kenmore Kettle Charcoal grill
bbqinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I make a big ole pot of beans almost every weekend. Dried beans, great northern, pinto, navy, red, black or whatever else I can get. Soak overnight friday, rinse and put in crockpot saturday morning with some chopped onion, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover everything, plus an inch or so over the top, with water (I use chicken stock, probably use water if you're monitoring sodium).That's always my base to start with. The kitchen smells great on saturday. From there I get creative. Some of the additives could be diced japs, ham hocks, ham bone, leftover brisket or pulled pork, oregano, cumin, whatever suits my fancy for the day. Beans will take on most any flavor profile you choose to throw at them. Fun to experiment with.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I make a big ole pot of beans almost every weekend. Dried beans, great northern, pinto, navy, red, black or whatever else I can get. Soak overnight friday, rinse and put in crockpot saturday morning with some chopped onion, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover everything, plus an inch or so over the top, with water (I use chicken stock, probably use water if you're monitoring sodium).That's always my base to start with. The kitchen smells great on saturday. From there I get creative. Some of the additives could be diced japs, ham hocks, ham bone, leftover brisket or pulled pork, oregano, cumin, whatever suits my fancy for the day. Beans will take on most any flavor profile you choose to throw at them. Fun to experiment with.
Note to self: Send Kevin some Beano.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
I think Great Northern beans are some of the best and most versitle beans there are. Add some ham or ham hocks for ham and bean soup. I'd bet there's a recipe in the roadmap for white chili using Great Northerns.

Todd
Versatile is the word of the day when talking about Great Northerns. Guys, this is one of my favorites, it has some of everything I like. Don't let the pasta and beans mixed together freak you out. It's a great combo. Don't make this too thick, it's a soup not a stew.

Pasta and Bean Soup with Italian Meatballs

An Italian favorite, this recipe is a great change from some of the more traditional American bean dishes.

About 4 to 6 servings.

For the meatballs:

1/2 lb. Italian sausage
1 egg
4 Tbsp. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 lb. ditalini (tiny, tube shaped pasta) (can use any tiny pasta like macaroni)

For the beans:
1/2 lb. (1 ˝ cups) dried Great Northern beans
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 lb. salt pork, diced fine (substitute ham shanks, hocks or cubed ham
along with a few slices of bacon)
1 large onion, chopped fine
5 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
4 celery stalks, including leaves, sliced thin
3 tsp. salt
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 16 oz. can Italian tomatoes, drained, tomatoes chopped coarsely
1 cup spinach
1 small zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley, preferably Italian
1/2 cup juliened carrot

For garnish:Freshly grated Romano, Parmesan or Pecorino cheese

Rinse and pick over the dried beans, (pre soak if you like) then place in stockpot with 10 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer while preparing vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salt pork and cook, stirring frequently, until the fat melts and the meat begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to burn. Add the onion and garlic and sauté gently until the onion is golden. Add this mixture to the beans, along with the celery, salt, red and black pepper, oregano and basil. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours, checking frequently to make sure the liquid has not evaporated too much. There has to be enough liquid to cook the meatballs and pasta in the final cooking stage. Add more water if necessary. About 30 minutes before the soup is finished simmering, add the tomatoes and their juices, zucchini and the parsley.

Combine the sausage with the egg and bread crumbs and roll into miniature balls. Add to the simmering soup. Add the carrot. About 20 minutes later, add the ditalini and the spinach, cook until tender. Serve with the grated cheese.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

My main side dish when catering is "Cowboy Beans" (Charro Beans). I use the GFS Pintos (large cans) , ham hocks, celery, onions, green peppers, Rotels, spices, stock. Easy as pie and they are a great accompaniment! Beans are a GREAT source of nutrition. Protien and fiber abound! If you told me I had to choose between meat or beans as a protien source for the rest of my life? I hate to admit it on this forum, but I'd choose beans! They are alse great with pasta and sauce (chick peas especially) , mashed (hummus, and refried beans), and yes..........IN CHILI!!!!!!!!!!
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I like all beans but pinto beans are my favorite. I got a pot made yesterday with leftover ham, diced japs with some juice out of the jar, onion, salt, pepper. This time I added some diced potato and carrots to it late in the cook. Thats something that I do just every once in a while. The carrot is finely diced and I dont use much either.
Toot Toot.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I make several types of beans regularly, but my favorites are redbeans and rice, black beans and rice or black bean soup, and Kevin's beans. Below is the recipe for Kevin's beans, and a pic of the proper cooking method!

Kevin's Smoked Beans

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn texas pete hot sauce

mix in disposable aluminum roasting pan and place in the smoker for about 6 hours.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s Beans 1.jpg (39.1 KB, 123 views)
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #13
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye

Pasta and Bean Soup with Italian Meatballs [SIZE=4]
This just got put on the "to do" list. Looks great. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

I made some good Great Northerns this week. Soaked overnight and then simmered two smoked ham hocks in chicken stock (about 7 cups) and a Newcastle Brown Ale for an hour and added the beans, a Vidalia onion, a red bell pepper, 3 stalks of celery, 2 jalapenos, 3 garlic cloves (all chopped) and a little fresh thyme & rosemary and cooked for about 1 hour (until beans are just becoming tender). Pull ham hocks (and pull meat) and add a big bunch of chopped (well washed ) collard greens and let cook for about 1/2 hour longer until bean are completely cooked. I served with a green chile and aged cheddar cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet with honey-butter.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
bbqjoe
Banned

I make a very simple bean that is quite popular here as a side dish.
Great Northerns boiled with some dehydrated onion and chopped brisket.
Salt to taste, served with a small pat of butter.
Some folks try to flavor the bean. I prefer the flavor of the bean.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote