A Question About Dry Rubs

B

BrianBinOR

I've got a dilemma concerning my dry rub recipe. I prefer the flavor of "raw" Turbinado sugar, but the larger granules don't seem to melt into the meat as well, and can burn into tiny hardened pellets at the edges of the meat. Regular white sugar seems to work better, but the flavor is disappointing. Any suggestions on how o get the flavor of raw sugar without the big-granules problem associated with Turbinado?

Brian,
Short (really short) bursts in a coffee/spice grinder.
or
Put in plastic bag and roll with rolling pin.
or
Mortar and Pestle it.

Hope one of these works :redface:

TIM

BrianBinOR said:
I've got a dilemma concerning my dry rub recipe. I prefer the flavor of "raw" Turbinado sugar, but the larger granules don't seem to melt into the meat as well, and can burn into tiny hardened pellets at the edges of the meat. Regular white sugar seems to work better, but the flavor is disappointing. Any suggestions on how o get the flavor of raw sugar without the big-granules problem associated with Turbinado?

I am curious what temperatures are you cooking at, and how close to an actual flame? I ask because I use Turbinado almost exclusively in my rubs, and do not see the 'globbing problem' you describe. In fact, I like the larger granules because they seem to slow down the melting process a little, and with such low temps burning does not seem to be an issue.

Bear in mind, there is a strong chance I have no idea what I am talking about, so take it with a grain of turbinado.

To be honest, until recently I was having trouble with my temperature -- too cool, actually, but at the same time too close to the flame. Maybe that was the problem.

And the granules don't GLOB for me, they stay intact.

But I'll try the spice grinder idea, see how that works. Thanks, gang.

if u were to replace brownsugar in the rub for turbinado sugar what would be the conversion for that?> also putting it through the grinder works well. i do that for my rub so my brownsugar doesnt clump together.i run my rub through a food processor. just to get it mixed really well

Not sure the flavor would be the same, since brown sugar has molasses in it as well. But I'm glad to hear another vote for the grinder idea.

Brian
Turbinado sugar is the first squeezing of the sugar cane and the molasses is still present in the product. Turbinado also has a higher burning point than white or brown sugar so I think there is another problem. I believe your fire control is the problem.
What do you cook on and at what temps?
Jim
PS: we are having a cooking class up in Seattle on Oct 14-15 if your interested.

Are you putting the rub on and going directly to the cooker? I always season and let it set for awhile in the fridge....I haven't had the same problem as you. My rub has turbinado in it for home use and competition use.

Well, then, I stand corrected about the flavor difference. Thanks for the info.

I'm cooking on a Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe. I try to keep it around 250, but I'm guessing at it because the smoker didn't come with a thermometer, and using one set inside doesn't seem to be keeping an accurate reading, since I have to open the smoker to read it.

I'd love to attend, but between culinary school, being a full-time dad, and living on 1 1/2 incomes, that's just not in the cards.

Mr. Kick,

That may be part of my problem too -- I'm taking it directly to the smoker.

What Kapn said:
Short (really short) bursts in a coffee/spice grinder.
or
Put in plastic bag and roll with rolling pin.
or
Mortar and Pestle it.

You might want to try Dominoes organic sugar. The granules aren't as big as the sugar in the Raw (turbinado) sugar. I like it a lot.
organic.jpg

You got a drill? or Can you take the lid off to take someplace to have a hole drilled? If so, PM me your address, I'll buy you a door thermometer from Spicewine Ironworks and have it shipped to you. I know the guy personally, he's OK....has a problem holding his liqour, but he's OK....

Yankee,

Looks good, and there's a store a mile from me that sells a lot of organic products, I'm sure they have it.

Solidkick,

That's damned decent of you. Show up in Oregon and you don't pay for your beer. The smoker has a hole pre-drilled, there's currently a plug in it that just has to be knocked out to accommodate a thermometer.

"...there's a store a mile from me that sells a lot of organic products..."

See Brian, reason #106 why I should live in Oregon.

Yeah, I love the availability of fresh, organic, locally grown produce here.

I might just try that, but with all the suggestions already made, I'm gonna have to spend a LOT of time at the smoker.

Oh, darn.

Hey there:
Regarding your smoker’s pre-drilled hole with the plug in it. Is that hole near the top of the lid? If it is, placing a surface mounted thermometer up that high will be inaccurate. Leave the plug in there, and drill a hole near the cooking grate level. Those are the temps you want to read. Or buy a remote thermometer and place the probe in the area you plan on cooking. For a little more money you can buy a dual probe that measures the temp inside you smoke chamber and in you meat.

Good luck and happy smoking.

ps. did you do any of the mods. yet?

Solidkick said:
You got a drill? or Can you take the lid off to take someplace to have a hole drilled? If so, PM me your address, I'll buy you a door thermometer from Spicewine Ironworks and have it shipped to you. I know the guy personally, he's OK....has a problem holding his liqour, but he's OK....

Spice's thermometers require a 1/2" NPT hole. I checked mine for accuracy and they were right on, out of the box. I wonder if he's got any, as many cookers as the Farker has to build.

Back