MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Default Roots Festival - Paola, KS 8/25

ROLL CALL!
Who's cookin' at the Roots? This one is a "hometowner" for us. My Brother-n-law Matt is from Paola, so we have to make our presence known

For anyone not cooking in the KC area.... Buddy Guy, and Delbert McClinton are headlining on Friday and Sat. night.... and we'll also have Kelly hunt, and Buckwheat Zydeco. Gonna be a HECKOFA event!!!! Come by the Smoke on Wheels camp and have a beer!!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
ole'e
On the road to being a farker

Default Paola

Myself and Greg Ribs 4 U will be there. It is a hometown contest for us too.
ole'e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

i used to date a girl from paola KS name was alishia she was a hottie.. oh btw i wont be there but good luck guys. !!!

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole'e
Myself and Greg Ribs 4 U will be there. It is a hometown contest for us too.
I expected to see you two there. See ya Friday

Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Fudge
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I will be there with my buddy DB cooking with his team Pork Patrol. Looking forward to Buddy Guy on Friday. Don't know if we will stay around for Delbert MeClinton Saturday night not. I always enjoy this contest except for all the generators running. I wish they would provide electricity. I'll try to look you guys up!

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=black][B]Teams[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow]Fudges BBQ[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow]Pork Patrol[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=black][B]Cookers:[/B] [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=black]I have a home made smoker built out of an old upright beer cooler. It has a large cooking chamber, four 30"x24" shelves. Have used an Oklahoma Joe and the Webber Smoky Mountain cooker. [/COLOR][/FONT]
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
I will be there with my buddy DB cooking with his team Pork Patrol. Looking forward to Buddy Guy on Friday. Don't know if we will stay around for Delbert MeClinton Saturday night not. I always enjoy this contest except for all the generators running. I wish they would provide electricity. I'll try to look you guys up!
Ours will be running.... but it is whisper quiet. Best money I ever spent. They are moving the stage this year to Pearl, so we'll be off the square. I believe just down from Smokers Wild.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dang Andy, that place sounds like an extreme hoot!! When we stretch our legs a little longer this might be worthy. As for now we are staying pretty busy just judging locally. There are 8 or 9 within two hours of home. Only have one left this summer, BBQ & Brew 9/23.
Good luck to you and the other Brethren, see ya down the road.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
SinginBob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
ROLL CALL!
Who's cookin' at the Roots? This one is a "hometowner" for us. My Brother-n-law Matt is from Paola, so we have to make our presence known

For anyone not cooking in the KC area.... Buddy Guy, and Delbert McClinton are headlining on Friday and Sat. night.... and we'll also have Kelly hunt, and Buckwheat Zydeco. Gonna be a HECKOFA event!!!! Come by the Smoke on Wheels camp and have a beer!!
It'll cost you $8.00 per day to get into the square for this if you are just a visitor. In past years the admission was a suggested price/donation, but this year it is mandatory. A little steep if you ask me since the Royal only charges $10 ($8 advance); plus, I am a cheap SOB!

Heavy storms tomorrow evening and rain all day Saturday is the forecast!
UBC, WSM, Weber Kettle

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
~Oliver Wendell Holmes
SinginBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Bob, the Roots Festival is a not for profit organization. They spend 10's of thousands of dollars on the bands, in addition to the costs of running the contest. Sponsors of the festival, and this year the 'admission' charge in lieu of a 'suggested donation' provide the funds for the festival to be held in our small community. Any monies generated by the organization after expenses goes to organizations such as Cops For Tots, etc. So when you 'pay' the $8, in addition to being able to see Grammy award winning bands, you are also helping to provide a gift to a child at Christmas that wouldn't otherwise get one.......

Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
SinginBob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paola Greg
Bob, the Roots Festival is a not for profit organization. They spend 10's of thousands of dollars on the bands, in addition to the costs of running the contest. Sponsors of the festival, and this year the 'admission' charge in lieu of a 'suggested donation' provide the funds for the festival to be held in our small community. Any monies generated by the organization after expenses goes to organizations such as Cops For Tots, etc. So when you 'pay' the $8, in addition to being able to see Grammy award winning bands, you are also helping to provide a gift to a child at Christmas that wouldn't otherwise get one.......
I was complaining more about having to pay $8 to see Andy!! Thanks for the clarification.
UBC, WSM, Weber Kettle

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 08-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
SinginBob
Full Fledged Farker

Anybody got the results?
UBC, WSM, Weber Kettle

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 08-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Chicken:
1. Pig Newton
2. Ribs 4 U
3. The Half Chicken
4. All Night Smokers
5. 3-Ball BBQ
6. Designated Smokin Area
7. MG Smokers
8. Extreme Pork
9. Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
10. Bucyrus Blue Barrels

Ribs:
1. 4 Dawgz Smokin
2. Rib Stars
3. Casual Smokers
4. Brew N BBQ
5. 3-Ball BBQ
6, Extreme Pork
7. Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
8. The Half Chickens
9. B & C Smokers
10. Pork Patrol

Pork:
1. Smokers Wild
2. Extreme Pork
3. Smoke on Wheels
4. 4 Men & A Pig
5. Pork Patrol
6. Price Chopper Pit Crew
7. Brew N BBQ
8. The Sauced Sow
9. Ribs 4 U
10. Smokin Jim & Pork Sta,,

Brisket:
1. Fat Daddy & The Grazers
2. Smokin Guns
3. Swine'em & Dine'em
4. T's Smokin Pit
5. Double Stack BBQ
6. Bewildered BBQ
7. All Night Smokers
8. Sausage Fest BBQ
9. Pig Newton
10. Casual Smokers

Overall:
GC: Smokin Guns 636.5712
RGC: Extreme Pork 636.0000
3. Pork Patrol 635.4284
4. Pig Newton 635.4282
5. Brew N BBQ 634.8568
6. Smoke On Wheels 632.5714
7. 3-Ball BBQ 630.8570
8. The Half Chickens 629.7146
9. Tom & Joshes Orgasmic Slabs 626.8574
10. Ribs 4 U 625.5470

65 teams

Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow! Congrats on the finish, Andy and Greg! Top ten in that field is an accomplishment!

Andy, how'd the sausage recipe do?

Man, I'm starting to get the itch again! This is the third weekend in a row being off and I'm getting a little stir crazy. Two weeks to Blue Springs!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBob
It'll cost you $8.00 per day to get into the square for this if you are just a visitor. In past years the admission was a suggested price/donation, but this year it is mandatory. A little steep if you ask me since the Royal only charges $10 ($8 advance); plus, I am a cheap SOB!

Heavy storms tomorrow evening and rain all day Saturday is the forecast!
Gotta agree with greg on this one.... You won't pay $8 bucks anywhere to see Kelly Hunt, Buddy Guy, Delbert McClinton, and Buckwheat Zydeco. Great festival.... Too bad Buddy's sound folks got thier gear fried due to poor weather planning. I would have liked to hear him. And well, ask anyone, I'm worth at least .02 of that $8!!!! Of course, I can hear your singin for free..... FARKER!!!!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Wow! Congrats on the finish, Andy and Greg! Top ten in that field is an accomplishment!

Andy, how'd the sausage recipe do?

Man, I'm starting to get the itch again! This is the third weekend in a row being off and I'm getting a little stir crazy. Two weeks to Blue Springs!
We weren't able to try the sausage recipe. The Kid's Que did not want to allow it in thier area, and Kaylin was not interested in cooking on Sat. morning, after her burgers and wings on Friday night. I'm going to use it for sausage in Greeley next week though - and I'll let you know how it goes.

One other side note - not trying to toot our own horn, but the most important award to us at the contest was the "Best BBQ in Miami Co" award!!

Lots of kick arse teams in Miami Co - Ribs 4 U, Smoker's Wild, Rib Daddy, etc. We have wanted that award since we first started cooking the Roots Fest 6 years ago. Our best place had been 16th (4 yrs ago) -- and never good enough to beat the other Miami Co. teams. Keg dried up pretty quickly after we pulled it off