Do you pin the chicken skin?

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just curious if you Comp guys skewer or pin your chicken thigh skins when cooking for comps. If so, how do you do it?

Also, any tips on prepping the thighs - what do you cut away, keep, how to shape them....?

Thanks!

I have pinned in the past but getting the pins out is a pain. Toothpicks work well, but don't use the colored ones :-D There are also stainless pins that are used for trussing a turkey that you can buy. Either way, keep track of how may you put into each piece and make absolutely sure that you take out the same number.

No I do not. I trim any excess fat and then shape the chicken into a rectangular shape and then round the end a little. Remove the knuckle call it done. Keith

We have tried everything with chicken skin, the only way to do it right is just nature take its course. No need to pin skins.

Trim the skin slightly larger than the meat. The skin will wrap around the sides and cook into place.

We've used them in practice cooks but I've always had a hard time getting them out and then mess up the exterior appearance. We just trim the skin so it is larger than the meat and wrap it around the thigh.

Use t-pins which are found at wally world and other places in the sewing section. Count in-count out. Use a small pointed knife to pull out at the t section. Works good. Just don't miscount as one team I am aware of did. Talk about a look of dejection.

Hmmm... I would be a little worried about the food grade quality of needles from a sewing section at Walmart? If you are going to use something it should be stainless and food grade. Just an opinion.

Eggspert

They are stainless or nickle plated, hence sewing dept. Rust would not be a good thing on needles or pins. In addition, they are one time use. I am also unaware of anyone who makes food grade needles and pins. I guess we could use surgical ones but then we would need an autoclave.

As far as food safety, they are cleaner and safer out of the package than everything in your kitchen, to include your hand.

Back