MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Used Smoker Value

In terms of big iron offsets (Think Klose, Gator, Yoder, etc), how much, in The Brethren's collective opinion, is a used pit worth? I often say that anything is worth exactly what some one else will pay for it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Still, how do you arrive at that number as a buyer or a seller? I would think that you would look at the current cost to buy the smoker new, factor in the condition and supply/demand, and come up with something. Presuming that supply and demand are both average, and a pit has been well maintained but isn't "like new" how much do y'all think it's worth? It probably cooks just as well if not better as something that is new, but it's still used and the buyer can't customize it. In more practical terms, if some one is buying/selling a $2,000 backyard pit in good condition, what's the worth? $5,000 trailer pit? 10,000 super-pit? 75%? 35%? Somewhere between?

Thanks,

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I aim for 50-60% of new. If in good condition.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I usually look at how much life is left in it, when considering purchasing one used. If it's very, and I meant VERY new I think 70-80% is reasonable, but after 2 or 3 years the price drops quickly down to 40-60% depending on condition, and if older than say 8 years or so I'm looking in that 30-40% range. Again, depending on condition. I've seen some 10 year old pits by a reputable manufacturer that were largely used maybe once a year and kept inside the remainder of the time that were almost brand new, and I've seen some 3 year old ones that were never cleaned, rusted, nasty, that I wouldn't give you 50% for it....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Andrew
On the road to being a farker

editing my post as i misread.

i would check for similiar pits to gauge a fair price. craiglist, ebay. small bit of research could pay out

Last edited by Andrew; 02-21-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

if no rust... then 70-80% if i have to fix it.. 40-50% of what the cheapest similiar pit cost...

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I usually look at how much life is left in it, when considering purchasing one used. If it's very, and I meant VERY new I think 70-80% is reasonable, but after 2 or 3 years the price drops quickly down to 40-60% depending on condition, and if older than say 8 years or so I'm looking in that 30-40% range. Again, depending on condition. I've seen some 10 year old pits by a reputable manufacturer that were largely used maybe once a year and kept inside the remainder of the time that were almost brand new, and I've seen some 3 year old ones that were never cleaned, rusted, nasty, that I wouldn't give you 50% for it....
I agree.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote