White smoke Blue smoke

ZILLA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I saw this picture on the Smoke Ring forum the other day and asked Alien BBQ if I could post it here as a reference for the new folks who don't know from blue smoke. Could be a useful reference to have them look at.

Thank You Zilla...I know from prior cooks....Blue is better...much better

Both those smokers are bleching wasy too much smoke which is much to thick for cooking IMHO.

By sweet blue, I think we mean more of a clear almost invisible smoke. Even these pics are thicker then I usually like, but something more like this...
blue3.jpg

blue2.jpg

I agree Brooklyn. Both of these smokers are loaded down with wood and are being seasoned. I also think that because of the background providing great contrast the smoke seems thicker. There is no food in either of the smokers but I thought that it was a good illustration anyway. I have found it very difficult to capture the perfect blue smoke on camera when I'm cooking because you can hardly see it. Even though these smokers are over the top on smoke it's a place to start for the new BBQer. The best thing would be for us to compile many pics from different cookers with all manner of smoke intensity on a reference page.

Last edited:
Zilla and BQ, Both good illustrations. I agree, perfect blue is almost invisible.

The Baron's Blue

Here's one of Paul Kirk's pit at the Big Apple Block Party from 2 years ago. Check out the stack on the left.

Attachments

• BaronsPits.jpg
    BaronsPits.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,422
Mitchell's Pits

And one from Ed Mitchell's hog cooker....

Attachments

• MitchellsPits.jpg
    MitchellsPits.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,408
backyardchef said:
Here's one of Paul Kirk's pit at the Big Apple Block Party from 2 years ago. Check out the stack on the left.

It looks like he was using the pits from his restaurant, and they were set up so that he could use them in the street. My friend the rocket scientist used to tell me that if you can't fix it with duct tape, bailing wire, vice grips or a big hammer, you might as well throw it away. The Two big pits are J & R's and the pit in the middle is a very cool Klose carousel with the firebox all the way across the back.

Not to go too far off-topic, but yes, the two J&Rs belong to Andrew from Paul's restaurant, and the Klose roti was borrowed-- it has a firebox running the length on the back side. Very nice pit.

All I know is looking at them I can't smell the Q....whoooey!:biggrin:

It's been said before but I'll say it again:

Ah... Sweet Blue!

You know you've got your fire right, when youve got sweet blue.

Here is some Florida Sweet Blue

Attachments

• Sweet blue.jpg
    Sweet blue.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,370
At first I thought the smoke in the one with the two cars in the near background was coming from the black car. I don't know if exhaust can be considered sweet blue. Looks like he needs a ring job.

Brauma said:
Qman, is your chimney fully closed?

Looks like it don't it? Actually it is fully Open. That is a rain cap. This smoker does not even have a damper in the chimney. It is open all the time.

Back